It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypersonic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I found this in a goverment article:

Hypersonic Testing Technologies:
Investigate thechnologies needed for test and evalution of hypersonic (MACH 10+) ground test capabilities. Areas of research include energy sources required to be "dumped" into high-speed air streams to create the correct similitude for sustained environmental simulations on the ground.

This is the exacte word for word paragraph in the article that I found interesting. Please if you could find more information about this.

The last sentence is very interesting "energy sources required to be "dumped" into high-speed air streams to create the correct similitude for sustained environmental simulations on the ground".

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I think they're talking about simulating correct temperatures, ionisation effects and so on that occur at Mach 10+ in a wind tunnel. I wouldn't read anything into it. If you could post the whole article then we could be of more help.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lampyridae
I think they're talking about simulating correct temperatures, ionisation effects and so on that occur at Mach 10+ in a wind tunnel. I wouldn't read anything into it. If you could post the whole article then we could be of more help.

That is all that was in the article.

I found something on hypersonic which had some info.
Hypersonic

The X-43A, an unpiloted research craft mounted atop a modified Pegasus booster rocket, was first flown in June 2001. During the flight, an in-flight incident forced the mission to be aborted. NASA has planned three X-43A flights; two more X-43A flight demonstrators built in early 2002, are being prepared for flight testing at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in Edwards, Calif. Fueled by hydrogen, the X-43A is intended to achieve Mach 7 and possibly Mach 10, or speeds of approximately 5,000 and 7,500 mph, respectively.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Haha, NASA was beaten to the punch by some guy and his bro in Woomera who did it with a backyard rocket, igniting the scramjet on the rocket's downward path.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I think the document Russian was reading was an unclassified R&D budget line explanation from July 2001.

Link is here:
www.dtic.mil...

intelgurl

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Interesting this comes up when this article just came out a few days ago..

10/31/03

Alliance Aerospace has been selected to build and support flight tests of the X43-C Hypersonic demonstrator by NASA's Langley Research Center. The award of $149 million will cover a 5.5 year program. The Allied team will include Boeing and Pratt & Whiteny. The X-43C is to demonstrate a hypersonic vehicle powered by an advanced air-breathing supersonic combustion ramjet/scramjet that can accelerate from Mach 5 to Mach 7 and cruise at about 4,800 mph. at an altitude of 100,000 ft. Three flights are planned, each of several minutes' duration.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Hey Russian Thats you second post of this sort
are you trying to use this forum as an nF0 gathering OP

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by straterx]

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hypersonics is definitely coming out of the black world.
The X-43 is the slowly developing project that DoD shows off for public consumption, but many believe hypersonics has been with us since the mid to late 1980's (referring to the controversial and officially denied "Aurora" SR-71 replacement)

Just recently a new hypersonic cruise missile has been unveiled...
www.jhuapl.edu...

If what you see unveiled in the public sector is 10 or more years behind DARPA's black projects, then there must be some incredible things going on in those bases out west...

intelgurl

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by intelgurl]

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Hypersonics is definitely coming out of the black world.
The X-43 is the slowly developing project that DoD shows off for public consumption, but many believe hypersonics has been with us since the mid to late 1980's (referring to the controversial and officially denied "Aurora" SR-71 replacement)

Just recently a new hypersonic cruise missile has been unveiled...
www.jhuapl.edu...

If what you see unveiled in the public sector is 10 or more years behind DARPA's black projects, then there must be some incredible things going on in those bases out west...

intelgurl

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by intelgurl]

Absolutely.. we are never told of the "most advanced" projects they are working on.

new topics

top topics

join