It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Rape!! Where is the outrage??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Reading through a few personal accounts on various websites, about prison rape, I asked myself why is there not an outrage over prison rape. This topic never comes up, but everyone knows it happens. Ther have been studies financed by the governement, such as the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003(PREA). Yet, there is never a public outcry.

The PREA, does nothing to stop prison rape. It's there to pacify the human rights groups. Why the study, we know it happens? You want proof that we knew it happened before 2003? How about this.

Why does the government not want it to stop? Why do the people not want it to stop?

It doesn't stop with just rape. Sometimes the raped become "slaves", or get rented out to other inmates. This happens to mainly passive, highly intelligent, or mentally ill inmates.

www.spr.org... is a website where people can actually help. It will never be enough until it never happens.

Here are a few personal accounts;

/truth_at_last/raje/prison-rape.htm]http://www.[hate-site-nolink]/truth_at_last/raje/prison-rape.htmI'm 16 years old. I was placed in a maximum security prison and raped several times. This keeps happening because the staff...will not transfer me to the right security level. The person that is raping me told me if I told anyone that he would kill me...The other night I tried to kill myself....My mind is starting to go in a world of it's own so the pain won't hurt so bad. I don't feel like a human being anymore. I'm a sexually abused animal. I should not fgeel this way, because I'm not suppost to be in the adult prison system. Please help me.

"The horrors experienced by many young inmates, particularly those who are convicted of nonviolent offenses, border on the unimaginable. Prison rape not only threatens the lives of those who fall prey to their aggressors, but it is potentially devastating to the human spirit. Shame, depression, and a shattering loss of self-esteem accompany the perpetual terror the victim thereafter must endure."

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun, Farmer v. Brennan

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I guess that will keep me from commiting a crime and going to prison.
Maybe it will theses guys next time.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's funny, but for some reason I never thaught about the fight against prison rape. I always just thought, prison=butt rape.

I'm anti death penalty, and totally for prisoners rights, but the rape thing always just seemed like an inseperable part of the prison experience. I have to say that it's one of the reasons that I stayed out of trouble, except for minor indiscretions that would only land me in the local holding cell. There's really no room for the rape in there.

I guess it just came down to an exchange, freedom vs. butt-rape. A prisoner can only be under direct guard for a certain amount of time. There are times when prisoners no doubt have no guard in the vacinity. When that happens, Pow, butt-rape. But in these instances, at least the prisoners don't have to succumb to the everwatching eye of Big Brother.

Then on the other side, you have to have constant surveylance withh a team for immediate dispatch to prevent butt-rape. Now, while you've avoided butt-rape, the prisoners no longer have any privacy, without being directly observed. This would be an unimaginable cost to the already overwhelming prison budget.

For the time being, I'm betting that butt-rape will have to be prevented the only way it has for a while. New inmates either have to survive on their wits, or by being the raper, and not the rapee.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Haven't you heard? According to this survey sponsored by the DoJ, prison rape doesn't happen, and when it does, it's just a process of sexual awakening.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The fact is, rape is used as a detterent and another form of punishment in American prisons. If you get detained, and the cops want to lean on you a little bit, they'll tell you all about what's going to happen to you on the inside. This is a huge violation of a prisoner's rights, but nobody seems to care. We can't even organize solitary confinement for everyone, because the steady influx of new prisoners insures a constant shortage of beds.

It's a mess. Some people say prisoners have it too easy in the states. I think any nation that uses institutionalized rape as a form punishment ought to hold no delusions about its own virtue.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The fact is, rape is used as a detterent and another form of punishment in American prisons.

I have a sure-fire way to stop prison rape:

Stop committing crimes!

If you don't go to prison, you wont get raped!

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It is a problem, and your right no one does talk about it.

Alot of Americans have this ignorant mindset that if your in prison
you did something horrible and you get what you deserve.
That's total bull-shi'ite.

I think there are four main problems.

1. We've privatized prisons.
2. We send people to prison for minor things like possesing
a small
amount of weed in ones house.
(Really having drugs ilegal is the stem of the problem.)
3. We spend tons of money on building new prisons with some
not even being used and overcrowd the existing ones.
4. We let the public decide to take away prisoners rights.

IMO the whole judicial system, the prison system especialy needs a
major overhall.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think that men being raped is very much ignored, we accept it and don't bat an eyelid. If women were subjected to rape in say, a mixed prison there would be outrage and i'm sure sexual abuse/ rape in women's would also spark an investigation.

I once watched a comedian who stated that people can wish rape upon a man and it's funny or the typical hes getting what he deserves attitude. Yet on the other hand, do the same to a woman and there is an outcry. This shouldn't be the case.

People argue that prisoners shouldn't have rights and I agree to an extent. I don't think televisions should be put in cells, I don't agree with the idea of open prisons, I think prisoners should have little or no contact with the outside world (reducing drugs being passed through) and be made to do labour- thus putting good back into an environment.

Being made to have sex with one or several prisoners on a regular basis is totally unacceptable, no one should be made to encounter such an ordeal. Laughing it off as being 'one of those things' is no excuse.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My buddy got busted at age 17 with 50 hits acid he was sentanced to 15 years. He was stabbed raped repeatedly in prison. He did 7 years and when he got out he was a differnt person. He is extreemly paranoid and dont like people standing behind him. I quit talking to him because he came out a basket case.

Prisons a screwed up place thats why I dont break the law. I did 10 days in the county jail that was enough for me.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Prison is intended to punish criminals, to wall them off from society and protect society from them.

Not to rape and abuse them. Simply to isolate them for the term of their imprisonment.

Prison violence, besides it being wrong in general, is especially problematic, from a practical sense, because it makes it more difficult to imprison people. Criminals can claim that its become cruel and unusual, and thus unconstitutional, or that it violates many other of their still retained constitutional rights.
Anti-strict law groups can make a huge stink about the prison system, because it is so often so violent. Its a threat to the sytstem itself.

That alone, if not mere humanity, is enough of a reason to take strict measures to drastically reduce prison violence.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:02 AM
link   
And yet the threat of rape was used time and time again against prisoners in iraq, so it must be if not condoned seen as a useful 'tool' for keeping people in line with the powers that be.

Anal rape is actually far far worse phsyiologicaly due to the rectums thinness and non lubricated nature - coupled with the violence used and you are looking at life threatening injuries from a single rape, let alone gang rapes that are more common than single attacks. I have been a custodial officer here in the UK, and i can tell you now that clearing up after a rape is no fun, as it is harrowing to the core watching the victim try to pick up the pieces of a life already at a low point.

As for American prisons, well life means life, and lifes tough at times, but bigger prisons and less abilities for people to form gangs might help a bit.

Oh and using 24 lock down on any one caught commiting assaults within the prison. For the duration of their sentences. 30 years or so in total solitary would be a good dettereant i think.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732

The fact is, rape is used as a detterent and another form of punishment in American prisons.

Stop committing crimes!

It's not that easy, every year thousands of people I would surmise are charged with crimes they did not commit. On ats a conspiracy board we know that the goverment can set you up or hold you indefinetly for one reason or another. Saying dont commit crimes is not just a one way street.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
yeah i can agree...im considered a Terrorist because of terrorist charge that i receved when i was 16, im now 19 and it still haunts me...the funny part is i didnt even do it...but i spent 58 days in a detential facility where the law states that i could only stay 30 and only be detained 30days without proof eventually i was so fed up of being in there i pled guilty to the crime and they let me out scott free....well not all the way they only put me ona 3 month probation with no fines.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Prison is intended to punish criminals, to wall them off from society and protect society from them.

Not to rape and abuse them. Simply to isolate them for the term of their imprisonment.

I totally agree with you there Nygdan. The thought of a person in prison for a crime like none payment of tax having to go through rape sickens me to the core. There are certain criminal entities that i wouldn't lose sleep over it happening to, although i still wouldn't agree with it.

The way to deal with prison rapists?

well i agree with the member here who said put them in solitary confinement for the rest of there time in prison. I would actually go for castration in that situation, but i think that would be taking it a bit too far, although i think they deserve it.

This is a serious issue in prisons around the world, that governments should be forced to deal with. I mean this is the 21st century for gods sake not the dark ages.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I have a rather different story to tell than most,

i recentley got involved in a punch up with a guy that lives near my village in the Algarve.

This guy raped my friends gf 9 years ago with another portuguese guy, he was 19 at the time. The rape was particularly brutal and the girl ended up having her nipple bitten off my this monster. He spent 3 years in prison ( a lesser sentance for turning his pal in to the cops after they arested him first) He has come out now and and is renound for being a violent and aggresive lunatic, surviving by stealing and mugging tourists...sadly the story is always the same...not enough eviance to convict.

He joked to an associate of mine that he checks which tourists have been on holday for nearly 2 weeks then mugs them in the last days of their holidays as they cannot be bothered with remaining in the country to continue with prossecutions, should he be caught at the scene or have to be identified in a line up when the police pull him in.

In point, the guys scum, evil and dirty.

Recentley i got in a punch up with him after watching him bottle a completley innocent english lad having a drink in a bar, my patience finally ran out and i images of my friend and his ruined life with his gf came rushing back, Sadly the fight was interupted before i could hospitilize this turd for the rest of his life but in hindsight i was gratefull, i was already bleeding pretty heavily and losing control of the situation.

Several days later i got a visit from a 'friend' who is involved with the police, he told me when this low life was in prison he had been raped continually for the 3 years.

I was exceptionally happy to here this, i was also told to leave the situation as the police were following up 2 other recent accusations of rape he was supposed to have commited and were getting ready to send him down for the rest of his days, they didnt want me getting involved and him only getting another 2 or 3 years for violent assault.

So..there you go..sometimes prison rape is wonderfull!

hopefully my man will be subjected to another 20 or 30 years of it!

unless he kills himself inside, which i hope doesnt happen as it will cut his suffering short too fast.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Indeed, I could care less if rapists are raped, or brutal murders are. But, as equally obvious, not everyone i prison is in for rape, and, hopefully the numbers are small, but not everyone in prison for rape are even guilty of rape.

In Philadelphia there is a prison, it was the first prison in the US. It was started, if I recall, by a group of quakers (well, they funded it). They wanted it to be a place for criminals to be penitent, hence, a Pentitentiary.
The place was set up as a panopticon. There was a circularmonitoring room, with cell blocks radiating out of it like spokes on a wheel. A person standing in the center of that room, could see down every block by turning around.
Every prisoner was in their own cell. A window in the ceiling let light come in. They were brought their meals, clothes picked up for cleaning, etc, by prison staff, through the bars. They were not allowed out of their cells, except for a few hours each day. A door at the back would open up, and they could step out of the cell, into a small grassy plot, for exercise, even then, they were seperrated and walled off from one another.
They weren't permited to talk to the guards or each other.

That should be our modern prison system. Completely wall them off from each other, for the duration of their stay.

If I was sent to prison, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to be running around some prison yard with those lunatics. Isolation is punishing, but so is a stab with a knife or a beat down.

And, hell, criminal gangs are able to operate, organize, and run their enterprise, from inside of the modern prison. Even common criminals can get brought into those organizations and strenghten them. So the system is flawed at all levels.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk

Stop committing crimes!

It's not that easy, every year thousands of people I would surmise are charged with crimes they did not commit. On ats a conspiracy board we know that the goverment can set you up or hold you indefinetly for one reason or another. Saying dont commit crimes is not just a one way street.

Okay, when you put it like that I agree with you; This is the reason I am against the death penalty, so I guess I should feel the same way about prison violence.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's sickening that there's so many on here that ..condones rape as a punishment.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Stop committing crimes!

HmmmMMMmmm.. Well I think that works. Is there anyneed to carry on the conversation because that seems like a pretty darn good reason right there. Are you a little guy? Don't want to get raped? Don't do stupid #%! Or learn some kind of self defense fighting.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
One lesson to be learned and we all shall heed it. Do not I repeat do not drop the soap.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Stop committing crimes!

And of those who never commited a crime?

I'm anti death penalty because we can never be 100% sure. I guess I'm ant i butt-rape for the same reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join