It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing F-89 Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I watch this board quite a bit, but I never thought I would have anything worthwhile to post, until a few days ago. I'm from Michigan, and I heard a buzz that the legendary missing F89 was found by some divers. After doing some digging I was able to get an email from AP with the wire story. Here it is:

Great Lakes Mystery Solved, Another Begins

Port Huron, MI (AP) -- A group of Michigan divers operating a next generation sophisticated side scan sonar have answered one of the Great Lakes enduring mysteries, and may have uncovered another.

In 1953, during the infancy of the Cold War, a U.S. Airforce F-89 Scorpion fighter jet disappeared over Lake Superior while trying to intercept and investigate an unusual radar blip. The wreckage of the plane and bodies of the two pilots had never been found.

"We feel bittersweet" said Great Lakes Dive Company spokesman Adam Jimenez. "I mean, on one hand we set out to answer this thing and did, but on the other hand you realize this was a tragedy that claimed the lives of two American pilots."

Well known among UFO enthusiasts, the incident involving the disappearance of the F-89 has been called Michigan's "Roswell". "Certainly this was a mysterious event, and needed to be solved. There was a tremendous amount of unanswered questions related to this matter." said Jimenez. The U.S. military originally claimed that the fighter jet had collided with a Canadian transport plane, a version of events dismissed by the Canadian government.

Jimenez went on to say that the plane is mostly intact and lying upright in deep water. "Frankly, we came away surprised. We expected at best, to locate an engine, wing or other small debris. Finding the plane together was really unexpected."

And then the mystery deepened.

"In searching the general vicinity of the wreck, we believe we have also found a part of the object that the F-89 collided with. We are still in the process of documenting the mystery object." Jimenez declined to elaborate on what the object is. "There is still a lot of wreck site forensics to complete" he said.

A feature length documentary on the history, search and discovery of the F-89 and the mystery object is being planned.

The Great Lakes Dive Company (www.greatlakesdive.com) is a group of Michigan natives with the common interest of shipwreck hunting and historical preservation.

....So that's it. I've been told the local paper here in Port Huron is going to do a story on this, and I'll post the link as soon as it's available. This is HUGE!

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Sidka, will be interesting to follow....
www.greatlakesdive.com showed some pics of the F-89.... but not the mystery object?

a google search found this... www.ufoevidence.org...

The mystery object could be a Canadian DC-3 or RCAF jet. Then again who knows maybe a real UFO...

This one was a Project Bluebook case.

Good post

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I get it is stired up interest in the dive community. Recent attempts to drawn divers to the great lakes has included sinking ships and such. This will no doubt at least draw a glance.

new topics

join