It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural Gas Pipeline Explodes in Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A natural gas pipeline carrying Iranian natural gas to Turkey exploded today due to a suspected terrorist attack. Turkey's state-owned news outlets are reporting that Kurdish separatists may have sabotaged the fairly recently-installed pipeline. The destruction of the pipeline will delay plans for increasing the importation of Iranian natural gas to Europe via Turkey.

www.foxnews.com
ANKARA, Turkey — An explosion Saturday caused a huge fire on a natural gas pipeline in eastern Turkey, the Energy Ministry said.

The explosion occurred in Turkey's eastern province of Agri, Energy Ministry spokesman Bulent Ismen said.

The region's governor, Halil Ibrahim Akpinar, said autonomy-seeking Kurdish rebels were suspected of carrying out an attack. He did not say if a bomb had caused the explosion.

The state-owned Anatolia news agency said the pipeline was carrying Iranian natural gas. Ismen said the fire was on a pipeline carrying gas within Turkey.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet another thing to scare the already jittery energy markets. I'm not really sure how big of a deal this is, but almost anything that happens these days can drive up the cost of energy, and if this creates a real supply issue, then watch prices skyrocket.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yea they fixed up most of the Prudho problem and all of a sudden there is another issue somewhere else in the world. It seems there may never be a moment where our energy needs are safe from accidents or "terrorists" (aka national intelligence field operatives).

I just want to reiterate here that this exact region where energy and terrorists are disputed is the same area cited in the book 1984 where human labor slaves and resources are fought over. I will even cite the page this is discussed if one would like me to reference it.

[edit on 8/19/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So let's play CT and say the Iranians created their own reason to invade Iraq and get those Kurds? Whatcha think?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Who gets hurt most by this?

Iran?

If so, how long before Iran blames it on Israeli Mossad, or the USA?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why couldn't it be them? If there are sure signs of foul play, and Iran would very well be the first party to be hurt by this move, why would it not be field operatives who can move around the globe with impunity who work for the very people who are attempting to instigate a battle with them? It is very convinient to simply blame Kurdish Seperatists, because in the end the guerilla terrorists is always more likely than the sophisticated ones to actually pull it off?

Of course it could have also been drunken teenagers that were having fun their own way and wanted to see some fireworks without understanding the full ramifications of their actions? I hold that scenario as a likelihood as well.

new topics

top topics

join