It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrence McKenna and 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this was already brought up, but i did search and found nothing.

Here's an interesting view on this 2012 thing by Terrence McKenna.

It's quite interesting to acknowledge that there are so many references to 2012 in so many different cultures that it is almost impossible to rationaly deny that something really big to our spieces is not going to happen.

2012: THE EMERGENCE OF AN ENIGMA

I first became fascinated with 2012 in 1981, when I heard about a book by Terrence and Dennis McKenna, called The Invisible Landscape. It took me 10 months to get hold of the book, and I had to read it twice before I began to understand it, after becoming more acquainted with advanced neurochemistry.

For those of you who may not know the story: In 1971, the McKenna brothers went down to a remote part of the Amazon jungle to investigate rumours that the shamans performed magic using a "violet psychofluid" - a kind of ectoplasm which pours from all orifices and the skin, following ingestion of a hallucinogenic brew called ayahuasca (only visible to others who've taken the brew). They ended up taking a different combination of sacred plants, but which contained the same active ingredients as ayahuasca - dimethyltryptamine, and harmine (a beta-carboline) - both of which are closely related to the natural secretions of the pineal gland (especially in advanced meditators).

After a shared hallucinatory episode, the brothers returned to the USA to develop the insights they had in the Amazon. They were convinced that the ancient Chinese oracle - the I Ching, or Book of Changes - worked because it was a mathematically coded form of the time wave system that underlies change in the universe. The I Ching is a group of 64 six-line structures called hexagrams, which show all combinations of Yin and Yang (like + and - ). Another researcher - Martin Schonberger, in 1973, found an exact correspondence between the 64 hexagrams and the 64 codons in our DNA, at the same time as the brothers worked on advanced neurochemical theories to explain how the chemistry system worked, by which they had accessed knowledge stored in their nuclear DNA.

Eventually, they found a complex fractal wave, where each level is 64 times greater than the one below, consisting of 26 levels, which describes all change in the universe, from sub-atomic event durations, up to a universe-length time-span. When they analysed the peaks and troughs of history, and lined up the Timewave over the wave of history, they found that the end of the wave, when all the sub-waves peak together, will be in the year 2012 !! At the time they discovered this, THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THE MAYAN CALENDAR, or that the Long Count ends in 2012. The Invisible Landscape was published in 1975, and knowledg e of the Mayan calendar did not become widespread until 1987, when Jose Arguelles published The Mayan Factor. Having heard about this later, the McKennas published a new version of the Invisible Landscape in 1993, in which the Timewave was refined to end on the winter solstice, along with the Long Count.

The Timewave ("Timewave Zero") was criticized by a mathematician called Watkins, and then checked and corrected by a nuclear physicist called John Sheliak, so that the new "Timewave One" fitted history even better (see Hyperborea for more details).

More recently, it has been discovered that the Mayan shamans actually used the same mushroom which the McKennas took, leading to knowledge of 2012 in both cases.

source

[edit on 19-8-2006 by DrExtravaganza]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Alright, so lets try to start a discussion on timewave zero.

I know alot about the 2012 stuff, how the mayan long count calender ends its 5th and final cycle on winter solstics, 2012. Thats december 21st, midnight GMT? someone correct me on the exact time, which could be added to or subtracted from by users to get the time for their zone in which midnight occurs on the 21st moving into the 22nd early morning. Or is it midnight on the 20th going into the 21st? Regardless, ive always said if nothing happens on the 22nd, maybe itll be the 23rd, or 25th, that we are human and not perfect, and neither were the ones who secretly carried on this knowledge, so errors can be made. Remember when all the Nibiru people were saying 2003? Now theyre saying 2012 = perfect example.

But the Timewave Zero thing always was a little beyond my basic grasp, meaning i'd have to really delve into the material and learn some things like I did with Sumerian, Judean, Christian, and Islamic ancient histories, as well as Paganism and such, and the local religons of the South Americans. Myths, legends, prophecies, prophets, all that. But Timewave zero involves mathematics and other icky stuff like that to understand properly and math just isnt my thing when it becomes well beyond the skill level of say, second level algebra or calculus, which i havent taken(im still 23 and still going to college I might just get there someday ppl
).

From what I understand, Timewave Zero is a theory that time ends. That time is a law of nature like gravity which isn't always eternal, like when you leave a gravitational force and begin to drift, gravity is not eternal.. there are moments with no gravity. I might be wrong there when comparing that to timewave zero. But I do know they think time will "end" .. as in, that dimension or that 'law of nature' will cease at a singular point at a singular time, regardless of the world and the planets and the universe and everything going on at that time, the time would just be like "hey, i gotta go, seeya!" and the clock arms would stop everywhere and there would no longer be time as a marker for us? Or is it that at the right moment, time stops at a singular point for only the smallest amount of time measurement and then starts again, so small we dont notice, and its he where people can "leave the dimension" into a timeless life or "ascend" to the next dimension? lol.

I know some of this will sound strange and im not saying I believe these things, Im ust throwing everything out there regardless of if i think its dumb or not, to get the proper answer on the timewave zero theory.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by runetang]

[edit on 20-8-2006 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I always had trouble understanding the time wave zero thing, too, since I'm no math genius by far. As I understand it, and I may be wrong here, McKenna said taht in 2012, history as we know it will end and we will mark time in a wholly different way. Basically, that reality changes. I'm so glad you posted this, Dr. E, it's always fascinated me and thanks for the brief history behind all of this, there were things I didn't know before.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
just a side note:

Sometimes i really wish i was some sort of math genius.

It sucks having some theories that you just cant develop because with dont have the tools..

[edit on 20-8-2006 by DrExtravaganza]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, let me ask this for anyone who knows enough to try to answer:

If 2012 comes and goes, and theres no change to time as we know or a removal of time, if time stays exactly the same, we all age the same, and everything happens as it always has according to time; Would that dispel or disprove the Timewave Zero theory?

Or would the creators of the theory claim that they got the date wrong?

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Time end's as soon as the last Mayan Priest recorded it for posterity, too good to believe isn't it, just like 999 and 1999 - as the death of reality will fuse to something else, the newer pardigm will eventually will out, what next astral cybernetic reality without our body shell suit's, without our fiction suit's and without spines, and cerebarl spinal fluid, and the Brain?!

That's it, the World will end.

Good bye reality, will the western world collapse due to Moslem Terror Squad's and Chinese Strength, yes. Viva - bon apocalypse!

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Interesting

So according to timewave zero is this supposed to be a sudden thing or more of a gradual slowing or whatever of time?
2012 has always interested me.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
Interesting

So according to timewave zero is this supposed to be a sudden thing or more of a gradual slowing or whatever of time?
2012 has always interested me.

Its a speeding up of time, or more appropriately, it "feels" as if time is speeding up..but based his theory, on that date, we will enter into a state of Novelty deeper than we have ever been since the dawn of time, and then the entire sequence ends abrubtly.

new topics

top topics

join