It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality of Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hi. Here I am presenting my opinion on Time. I originally posted this on ID, but I decided to post it on this larger site too.

Time travel is not possible from the way we think of it i.e getting back to the year 2001 or any other year that has passed. The reason is simple. Time simply isnt what we take it to be. We think of time travel as going back to the time of our memmories. This is wrong cause the laws of Physics simply does not allow such a Time travel. This is example to demonstrate the fact that the laws of Physics only work "Forward in time"(Human view) .
Imagine a sphere of mass moving accross a bed sheet with a velocity v. The sphere will squash the bed sheet in front of it and will stretch the bedsheet behind it. Lets say it travels a certain distance in this way. Now lets try to 'reverse the direction of time', the sphere should now move in the opposite direction. However, if it moves in the opposite direction it should now squash the bedsheet in its new direction of motion but if the bedsheet is itself moving back in time, the bedsheet should be stretched in that new direction of motion of that sphere ! Do you see how the laws of Physics themselves oppose our(human) general idea of travelling backward in time.
So if we cant think of past events returning to us, it means past events have no relevance in time. Therefore, in time words like begginning and end are irrelevant and our only things created by human minds. Time is not as we ( humans) view it at present. Instead its a flow. This flow is not aware of a beggining or end, it just keeps flowing but at different rates depending on motion in the ref frame and gravity.

Now this 'bedsheet' I talk about is for simplification. I first thought about it as space-time.
It is for this reason that I believe Time travel will never be possible the way we think of it. Before the Big Bang, time's flow rate was 0, but this does not rule out the possibility of Time before the Big Bang.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Interesting view. Did you read the book: a brief history of time?? Cool book. Look at this link www.pbs.org...

Greetings

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well. I've read a briefer history of Time. I think conventional Time travel is not possible. However, another kind of Time travel, that has to do with symmetry, might be possible. If we have a negative rate of flow of time, then were travelling backwards, and properties are reversed.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Look at it this way. If we treat time as a dimension just like space then there is no meaning to go backwards into time. You cannot go "back" in time just like you cannot go "back" in space. Think about it. No matter what direction an object is moving, it's direction of motion is always forward. You can say the object may turn around and move the opposite way, but it's direction of motion is still forward! No matter which direction the object moves, it's direction of motion will always be forward! Get it? To technically go "backwards" in space means to arrive at your destination before you left (see the connection?). No matter which direction you travel in space, your direction of motion is always forward. Therefore, no matter which direction you travel in time, you are always moving "forward!"

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Certainly an interesting topic! In your theory, is it the sheet that moves, and the sphere that rolls with it, or does the sphere move, and the sheet sit still? Do they both move together?

I've often been intrigued by Immanuel Kant's theory of time laid out in his book The Critique of Pure Reason. He thinks "time" and "space" are the ways that the human mind makes sense of the world. In other words, he wants to rethink all the arguments about whether space/time are independent realities of the universe, or whether they only make sense with a population of objects in the world relative to each other. (Newton thought that space/time was an absolute, such that if nothing existed in the universe, there would still be space. Leibniz, his intellectual rival in Germany, thought that space/time only made sense if there were two or more bodies that one could measure relative to the other.)

Kant says, in a certain way, space/time is all in our heads. We can't really know what the universe is like in true reality. However, humans are constructed psychologically to make sense of space/time in the way we do. I imagine he would say it's possible an alien race of beings could experience the universe in an entirely different way than we do.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I had my own theiries of time. Hawking theorized that when time goes backwards it would look as if you were rewinding a tape.

I wonder that when time goes backwards for us at least percepualy time would still be going forwards. I would say that time only goes into one direction but loops back onto itself every x amount of years.

Think of it like the universal beating heart all mater goes outward then influences itself to go bakward. Now everything for us would still be going forward.

Lets just say for example that time for us is going "backward" now lets say just for the heck of it at this instant everything in the universe at least by are perceoption is still going "forward". I2:00-12:01 would still apear the same but everything else in the universe would be moving in the opposide direction planetiods for example would rotate all in the opposite direction but for us we would still be going about our every day business.

Evevntually all the matter and energy would go back unto istelf until which time all matter in our universe would = 1 of something in which case 1 of nothing would come into play creating a cosmic explostion which would by our percption start the process all over again.

I like to think of time as a cosmic yo yo with a built in alarm clock. The clock would always read the same to us regardless of what direction it would be moving. Not only would it be a paraodox but it would alsways take the same amount of "time" everytime to complete one complete circle.

This is just my own hypothethis.

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'd have to go with NegativeBeef on this one. An event of Time is not to be compared with an even of Space.

new topics

top topics

join