It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priceless Peruvian artifact seized in the UK.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

A priceless ancient Peruvian headdress dating back to 700AD has been seized by police after an international sting operation lured the looter to England.

The artefact, described as the Mona Lisa of Peruvian cultural heritage, was given to a London solicitor as part of the deal by the smuggler. It was then handed to the Metropolitan Police’s Art & Antiques Squad this week.

The smuggler, who Times Online can reveal is a millionaire sportsman, was tricked into coming to England by Michel Van Rijn, a former illegal art dealer who had told him that was interested in having the piece.

Source: Peruvian artifact found

I'm glad to hear that this artifact will be going back to it's rightfull place. There are too many historical treasures circulating the world, far from where they were intended to lay at rest.

CX.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I agree. The looting of ancient historical artifacts and treasures robs the world of valuable history and information, and sends it into the collections of the wealthy and greedy.

It often makes me wonder that some of these rich collectors support the looting to keep history from the rest of us.

join