It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugs; We Are Losing This One

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
We have fought the good fight for years. Or have we? It seems so many are "up in arms" over the cost of the war in Iraq, when this war is being waged quietly and with HUGE expense each and every year. The United States, with Her Vast Technologies, Eminent Democracy and Ever Present Postulating, has apparently been unable to not only stop the flow of narcotics; but unable to even significantly dent it.

www.nytimes.com
BOGOTÁ, Colombia — The latest chapter in America’s long war on drugs — a six-year, $4.7 billion effort to slash Colombia’s coca crop — has left the price, quality and availability of coc aine on American streets virtually unchanged.

The effort, begun in 2000 and known as Plan Colombia, had a specific goal of halving this country’s coca crop in five years. That has not happened. Instead, drug policy experts say, coca, the essential ingredient for coc aine, has been redistributed to smaller and harder-to-reach plots, adding to the cost and difficulty of the drug war.

Bush administration officials say that coca farmers are on the run, and that the leftist guerrillas and right-wing paramilitaries who feed on drug profits are weaker than ever. That has made Colombia, Washington’s closest ally in a tumultuous region, more stable, they say. They argue that the plan has scored important successes, like a spike in the price of coc aine last year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sadly the monetary cost is not the real tragedy here. The cost in lives is devastating. Good, honest and hard working police officers giving their lives every year to battle an enemy that evidently not one of the administrations over the past several decades, has ever really wanted to defeat.

This goes far beyond Democrats or Republicans, they have both had their chance to make a difference in this "War." Had their chance and failed; or did not even try.

Saddening, Sickening and Pathetic are the most accurate adjectives I can think of right now. The only real question here is; "How many politicians are lining their pockets with the blood of our police officers in this 'war'?"

Semper

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.co m
www.drugsense.org
www.druglibrary.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
While all the crying about police officers? boo f'n hoo, when its well known that many police officers at every level of law enforcement are lining their pockets with drug money.
United States Law Enforcement dumps chemicals on other nations in this effort, chemicals which poison the land, water, food chain of innocent people for decades. What about them?
70% arrests in the USA are for drugs, while the prison system releases 80% of its sex offenders back to the streets. What about all the children who are molested and murdered by these repeat offenders? Oh lets cry about the gun toting, wife beating (40% of police in the USA are involved in domestic violence/assault complaints), bullet proof wearing, fascist minded cops. Yeah right.

The drug war was lost before it even began. This is old news, and this article is about 20 years out too late to even ask the question. At no point in the history of anti-drug law enforcement have they been able to prevent more than 10% of contraband from entering the country.

Everything the second Bush administration got throught the patriot act his father's administration attempted to get through drug war legislation and failed. Having the likes of Oliver North pump crack and weapons into LA and dozens of children getting shot up daily on inner city streets didn't have the visual stun gun force of self distructing the WTC. Although this country has been sliding toward facism in the name of the drug war for decades, with drug free school/park/public housing/you name it zones, three strike laws for drug offenders, property seizure for tiny amounts of drugs, random drug testing in schools, etc, etc, etc.

Do not weep for the cops, weep for the democracy and liberty those soldiers of fascism have trampled on.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
fight the good fight ? oh please,
what a joke !

how about;

"believe the big lie" ?!

this is crap !

the drug war is a lie , a trick ,
a set-up
just like the war on poverty,
et-al.

all crap !

manipulations and obfucations !

I'm sorry people still believe this.
but with a controlled and manipulated
media leading the way, it is predictable.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Drug War has never worked. They should've just made it legal and that would be that. But I guess there is just so much more money in dealing it in the streets, and trying to fight it, then there is to run it.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I wonder how bad soceity would get if some forms of drugs were legalized?

Take pot for example, completly harmless when compared with the effects of alcohol. But yet billions of dollars are poured into fighting it every year.

Has someone high on pot ever killed someone or been envolved in a hit an run? Now im not saying pot has never been responisable for crime but what about when its compared with the distruction that alchohol causes?

All pot makes someone do is eat more food and fall asleep on the couch while watching adult swim on the cartoon network. I say if Americans want to be lazy slobs than let them arent they already? I can walk across the street and eat five bigmacs at a local mcdonalds and pretty much get the same effect anyway and big macs are LEGAL!

Alcohol is just so much more distructive than pot. I say put pot in a fancey box and tax the crap out of it. Keep the rules the same as regular smoking.

The big problem for the USA is that too much money has already been poured into the fight for pot and too many campains ran to fight it. Our government has intagrated the whole war on pot into its on polictal structure.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Maybe not making a dent is exactly the way the system wants it to be?

It is a marlvelous ruse that is perpetuated upon the masses. The level of lies and deceptions on the part of our govt for the last 70 years, in this field, have been beyond compare. The biggest victim is Marijuana(which we have several threads on here at ATS). But what they arent going to show you is the correlation between the dramatic rise in drug busts/imprisonments and the opening of the First Privatized prisons; CCA(Corrections Corp of America.) This; more than the Companies such as Dupont, Budweiser, Oil giants.. etc; is why Drugs stay illegal. The amount of revenue from the Justice department is stiffling, 61% of americans are involved in the legal system.. Either in prison or on probation or on parole. Seizures of propeties, court costs, jail costs, probation costs.. and lastly prison labor whicvh produces billions every year.And thats just the legal side of the ball.

The other side is the black market profits(which are what fund the majority of 'Black Ops' operations.) After all coups and such cant go on the books... but they still gotta be paid for.

The level of hypocrisy(sp?) is beyond compare. They say they do it because the drugs are bad for us. Yet we can be poisoned in every medium from big business. They say that it is funding terrorism; yet the govt made half of the drugs out there in the first place and are largely behind alot of the drugs and guns coming into the country. They also put the poppy production(heroin) back on track since invading Afghanistan. They say that smoking pot makes you a violent criminal-then fifty years later they say the exact opposite. They say Pot is a gateway drug.. but it only is that way since the govt made it illegal and grouped it in with every other class A narcotic.
They have admitted to doctored science on the matter.. yet it remains illegal. Why? because looking at the stats its all about the benjamins. 750,000 arrests last year alone for marijuana. the FBI was proud of their accomplishment, no doubt. I am alittle less enthusiastic about the findings. It is disheartening to say the least that after 70 years we continue to wage a war against our friends,family,countrymen.
I weep for liberty, this day; as she has fallen and there is no hand to help her up.

"prohibition fails; in that, it attemps to legislate a mans appetite and makes crimes out of that which is not a crime"- Abraham Lincoln

"A man without vices; probably has no virtue either"- Thomas Jefferson

Let people-for better or worse- govern their own bodies, and determin their own fate.

one last quote "Dont tell me when to die. Ill die when its time for me to die. So let me live my llife; the way I want to"-Jimi Hendrix

thank you for your time.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Prohibition didn't work in the 20's, it doesn't work now.
Repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results is obvious insanity.

The "drug war" is about expanding the powers of the state and feeding the prison-building industry (a powerful lobby). It has had little to no effect on drug use, except to make it easier for kids to get crack instead of pot. The two most lethal drugs, alchohol and tobacco, are not only legal but are major industries. The "drug war" is a crock.

It's a sad joke really, but the joke's on us.

[edit on 8/19/06 by xmotex]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

While all the crying about police officers? boo f'n hoo, when its well known that many police officers at every level of law enforcement are lining their pockets with drug money.

Proof?

Or is this a rant from a previous "customer" of those very same police?

Semper

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well I can say from personal experience, the cops always have the best weed available. Sorry, but it's true, and always has been.

They know the game is rigged too, that the drug war is a joke, and plenty of otherwise honest cops are not averse to making a few bucks on the side.

Anytime you create a black market, you automatically put the police in this position.

Again, shades of prohibition.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonata
Alcohol is just so much more distructive than pot. I say put pot in a fancey box and tax the crap out of it. Keep the rules the same as regular smoking.

The thing about marijuana is that you can't really tax it or regulate it like alcohol. It takes a lot less skill for someone to grow their own marijuana then it does for someone to distill their own liquor.

I do agree the "war on drugs" is a sham, just like the other metaphorical "wars" that we're fighting. The reason it's called a "war on drugs" is because it's meant to be never-ending. It's the same exact thing with the "war on terror" or the "war on poverty." These so called "wars" have real solutions to them but instead of solving the problem we are more interested in getting the masses caught up in this never-ending struggle against them. Does anyone actually believe that the War on Terror will someday be won? It's not meant to be won. It's meant to be continously fought, on a global scale. It's meant to be waved in front of our faces whenever we bring up the question of constitutionality and rule of law. We're fighting the War on Terror not because we have a goal of defeating some enemy that's lurking out there. We're fighting it so that we can always be at war.

I mean #, the CIA trained those very terrorists in the Middle East and nurtured their philosophy in our many proxy wars against the U.S.S.R. Only back then they didn't call them terrorists, they called them "contras." But that's not something you're supposed to bring up or talk about because Oceana is at war with East Asia, and we've always been at war with East Asia.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well I can say from personal experience, the cops always have the best weed available. Sorry, but it's true, and always has been.

I've been certified and worked in 3 states, worked and taught all over the country, from California to New York State, and in Canada, and after 19 years on the JOB after 5 in the Corp; that is not my experience.

Semper

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
èYes, we are.

I think that we should allow for better anonymous reporting.

Set up a site that has descriptions of a suspect with check boxes.

Given a certain number of complaints warrants a response.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I've been certified and worked in 3 states, worked and taught all over the country, from California to New York State, and in Canada, and after 19 years on the JOB after 5 in the Corp; that is not my experience.

Well, I doubt they're advertising it around the station house, especially to officers they see as "boy scout" types

But I can assure you a lot of this goes on, especially in large cities.

IME the cops were a lot more trustworthy (and nicer) than any street dealer, if that makes you feel better...

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
You can assure me all you want. And you would still be wrong.

I HAVE the experience, and in no way am I the "Boy Scout." quite the opposite if there was anyone that would be involved it would be me.

On the other hand, no one is saying there is NO corruption, but to fall under the, over reported, under intelligent, all encompassing statements like that; is to effectively not be taken seriously.

After 19 years (This Month, happy anniversary to me!) I have held position in any number of different units, not the least was IA. There is corruption, but no where near the amount most believe or attest to.

Semper

ps. Any amount is too much, that is why we are always on guard and utilize so much of our resources in policing ourselves.

S

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well I can't testify to what numbers, percentages of the force, etc. were involved in that kind of thing.

All I can say is I know where I was getting my pot from, and I know I was getting a damn good deal

I did not have the impression the guys involved were "corrupt" in any other sense though, in a situation where I was facing a real criminal, I'd be glad to have them there...

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well semper, apparently you haven't been to new jersey lol. Ill just say I wouldn't want to even be stopped by the cops around here, let alone arrested. These cops are where the phrase "if they weren't the cops, they would be the criminals" came from. I have had some drug dealing friends, and I have personally seen twice where a cop has skimmed money out of the drug dealers pocket during the arrest in progress. I have heard about others, but didn't believe it till I saw it happening.

But to stay on topic Ill give you my own personal thoughts. I do find it sad because I have also seen/read about cops who have died in drug busts. If it makes you feel better (wont at all), over half the time the drug dealers (which sadly around here are often under 20), are not shooting because they want to kill the cops. The reason is they are deathly afraid of going to jail for the rest of their life. Now I understand they shouldn't be doing it since its illegal, but you and I both know the punishment for drugs these days.

I personally am against drugs even being illegal, so when I hear how many YEARS person is going away for, because of drugs, I start to see why these kids have that spurt of fear.

They think "Im just selling some drugs, I won't get caught", next thing they know, police are here and they think "o god, when I get arrested, my life is over" and they are kids so they shoot. Its sad but true. I personally think the drugs should be legalized, and crush the massive gangs funded by the illegal profits, but thats just me.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
One wonders how expensive it would be for the Government to set up a program and legalize narcotics? Rather more effective would be the "Decriminalization" of narcotics.

I can not for the life of me, imagine it would cost as much as has been expended in this "war."

Just a thought.

Semper

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What do you mean set up a program? Legalize it, and thats that. Treat a person on choice drugs that commits a crime the same way you would treat any criminal that commits a crime.

Laws don't keep the criminals from the drugs, just honest men honest. Anybody who wants drugs, can get them illegal or not.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
No, what I am referring to is once decriminalized, there would have to be controls set in place for regulation. Much the same as Alcohol.

Simply "legalizing" narcotics would very simply and effectively destroy our country.

Semper

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
No, what I am referring to is once decriminalized, there would have to be controls set in place for regulation. Much the same as Alcohol.

Simply "legalizing" narcotics would very simply and effectively destroy our country.

Semper

No, it would take the reigns out of the hands of those making the money, ie= prohibition, and make LESS of a profit because it would be LEGAL.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join