It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Heavy Metal Bands!(What's yours?)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm a 35 y.o. 1980's hair metal fan I can't help it.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
1. Between the Buried and Me
2. Unearth
3. Lamb of God
4. Sepultura (with Max Cavalera)
5. Metallica (pre And Justice For All)
6. Slayer
7. Chimaira
8. In Flames
9. Meshuggah
10. Slipknot (first 2 albums only)

and Nirvana (the correct spelling) was NOT metal....

[edit on 16-9-2006 by JSquared]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am a 40 y/o headbanger and my hair is still to the middle of my back!And I still go to shows! Studio 7 baby!!
(in no order really)
1.Anthrax
2.DRI
3.Slayer
4.Flotsam & Jetsam
5.Laaz Rockit
6.King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
7.The Accused (my best friend was the original bassist for them,he od'ed on heroin a few years ago)

8.Metal Church
9.Testament
10.Megadeth

Thats right,I left Metallica off of my list,I cant stand anything they have done after the original 'Garage Days' album.I think that was their last pure hard album.I dont even like Justice for all.Sounds a little too overproduced imho.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshter
1. Atreyu
2. Led Zepp
3. Mudvayne
4. Alkaline Trio
5. Social Distortions
6. Perfect Circle
7. AC/DC
8. Tool
9. KISS
10. Black Sabbath

alkaline trio is not metal. neither is social distortion really. and kiss isn't really metal either.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
neither is social distortion really.

Social Distortion may not be 'metal', but they focking rock! that is hard core rock-n-roll there... rock on!

here are my top 10, albeit it is VERY HARD to rank them...

01. DIO and DIO-related (ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH)
02. IRON MAIDEN
03. ICED EARTH
04. SACRED REICH
05. pre-Black album METALLICA
06. MOTORHEAD
07. MEGADETH
08. SLAYER
09. ANTHRAX
10. JUDAS PRIEST

there are so many more kick ass metal bands, but sheesh, a top 10 is hard to pick...

here's a bit of wot i have on mp3 so far, still have lots of cds left to burn...
some of m3rlz t00nz

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
In no particular order...

1. Black Sabbath
2. Deep Purple
3. Iron Maiden
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Judas Priest
6. UFO
7. Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force
8. Motorhead
9. Dio
10. Racer X

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
In no particular order:

Metallica - ALL ALBUMS ROCK! Deal with it!
Tool - Awesome Live - Seen them before Mainstream ever did
Ozzy - hands down
All Hail Pantera
Fight
Santurary - Awesome Met`al Sound
Slayer - The gods of Met`al
Testament - Bay Area Thrash Met`al
M.O.D. and S.O.D.
Megadeth Ranks up there as well.
DIO and Judas - about even
Scorpions
Korn and Limp can throw down some mean Met`al
and oh can't forget
Suicidal Tendencies
Exodus

The list just goes on and on.. there's no way I can stop at just 10 much less # them from 1 to 10...

Nirvana = Grunge, for those of you that are confused! Same as STP, SG, and PJ

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bootyac

1.Anthrax
2.DRI
3.Slayer
4.Flotsam & Jetsam
5.Laaz Rockit
6.King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
7.The Accused (my best friend was the original bassist for them,he od'ed on heroin a few years ago)

8.Metal Church
9.Testament
10.Megadeth

You know your stuff! Congrats, you're one of the only people on this forum that I've seen, who knows their Metal.

[edit on 8-10-2006 by UnstoppableForce]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   
There are many heavy metal and hard rock groups that I like very much, but IRON MAIDEN is my number one. I'm a fan of Iron Maiden for about 20 years and have been on several concerts... something to be remembered for my whole life

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
1. SLAYER!!!
2. Sepultura
3. Ministry
4. Fear Factory
5. Mortal Sin (aussie thrash metal, very good)
6. Anthrax
7. Iron Maiden
8. Lamb of God
9. Mudvayne
10. Metallica (old skool stuff)

The Band i enjoy the most is Rage Against The Machine (return to us Zack!).

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I cannot believe that nobody else has included Between the Buried and Me.....you're probably all to hard headed to give them a listen....They are revolutionizing metal..

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSquared
I cannot believe that nobody else has included Between the Buried and Me.....you're probably all to hard headed to give them a listen....They are revolutionizing metal..

I can't DISAGREE with this more.

That's total crap, in my opinion. Metalcore isn't revolutionizing anything. Metalcore is barely even considered TRUE Heavy Metal.

Do you listen to any underground Metal AT ALL? No offense to you or anything, because you're allowed to have your own opinion, and I'm not going to call you stupid for it...but man...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hey Bootyac:

I am a 40 y/o headbanger and my hair is still to the middle of my back!

Time for a back wax huh

Just kidding!

Mine in no particular order, with fave song (some are closer to industrial than metal, but hey they still rock!)

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds (done dirt cheap)

Nine Inch Nails - Mr. Self Destruct

Ministry - Burning Inside

White Zombie - More Human than Human

Skinny Puppy - Smothered Hope

Metallica - Battery

Rammstein - Du Hast

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

Faith No More - Mid-life Crisis

Monster Magnet - Space Lord

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
HA....I listen to more underground music than anyone here probably..

BTBAM is not limited to metalcore....and, yes, they are underground....I have been following them from the beginning (since they are from NC, where I live)....

Your definition of metal may not be the same as mine...

To me, Metal is about rebelling the norm, and it is supposed to serve as an outlet of agression......

I hate "metal" bands who only sing.....there is no aggresive emotion in singing....the only acception to this is Black Sabbath....and how long ago was that?..

Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and the like, yes....they can be "considered" metal.....but most of their modus operandi was image, not music....

Slayer made my list....but I don't like them all that much....they rely on the "satan" factor for shock value...If they focused more on making good music rather than cursing religion and trying to make a mockery of people that believe in all that, then they could be a lot better....

Sepultura is the main band that got me into "newer" metal....I used to listen to classic rock, and stuff you call metal.....but once I heard Igor Cavalera playing drums to Black Sabbath's "Symptom of the Universe" on the Nativity in Black tribute, I KNEW that that was what metal was supposed to be.....

Pounding double kick drums, insane breakdowns, harmonious melodies, and aggressive vocals are all things that make good metal...to me...

Between the Buried and Me contain all the ingredients, and then some....if you can get through a song without turning it off and disregarding it as good music, maybe you would hear it....

Metal to you may not be metal to me...you can listen to yours and I can listen to mine....Just don't brush something off as crap just because YOU don't like it....

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JSquared
HA....I listen to more underground music than anyone here probably..

BTBAM is not limited to metalcore....and, yes, they are underground....I have been following them from the beginning (since they are from NC, where I live)....

Hey Jsquared,

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy BTBAM as well (but I still think the first Botch lp and dillinger escape plan - calculating infinity lp's are better examples of that style). But how can you possibly consider them an underground band? They are on victory records for crying out loud! There are TV commercials advertising their albums!!! Heavy rotation on headbangers ball + tv commercials + major label distribution + sellings shirts and records at hot topic = underground band? I think not. Regardless, I'm not at all saying that it's a bad thing they are mainstream. I listen to a lot of mainstream metal and punk, just look at my top ten list, everyone of the bands I listed are mainstream. Look at my avatar, the Misfits are certainly not an underground band either. I just disagreed with your description of BTBAM as somehow being an underground band. Maybe my definition of underground is different from yours.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by outofstep]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It's all good, I see where you're coming from...

I still say underground, becuase if you ask "metal heads" ranging in ages 25-40, 90% will be like "who?".....

Just because someone has commercials on MTV2 doesn't mean they are mainstream, and if you asked average metal fans to name 5 bands on Victory, they couldn't...I could though.....Victory is a good label, but they aren't that major....

I don't limit myself at all when it comes to music, so don't think I'm all up BTBAM's butt, because I like plenty of other bands and even genres......

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
JSquared, do you even know all the bands I listen to? No. Don't tell me what "I consider Metal".

Whether a band is Metal or not doesn't EXACTLY go by opinion. There is a fine line drawn at some point. Slayer are hardly aggressive, anyway. I'd rather listen to Dark Angel or Razor. I listen TO MANY styles of Metal. Speed/Thrash Metal being my favorite.
Oh yeah, and for singers that are aggressive, even while singing..well..go listen to Dave White of Heathen, he nails that. Ron Reinheart of Dark Angel was the same way.

And sorry, but Cryptopsy basically crap all over Between The Buried And Me in terms of skill, brutality, and aggression.

List some underground Metal you listen to. I'm not flaunting anything, but there a lot of bands that I listen to, that you've probably NEVER heard of. Popularity doesn't define how good a band is, and neither does obscurity, but you've struck a nerve in me by making a comment about what I consider Metal. I know my stuff, don't talk down to me.

Oh yeah, Victory records mainly has -core bands.....little to do with Metal at all.

I never ruled out harsh vocals, you just started making assumptions. Iron Maiden's image has barely changed, and they've always been about music. That's a total # thing to say. If you were talking about Hair bands, I'd agree with the whole thing about it being about image and not music, but Maiden are NOT a hair band. Hair bands aren't even Metal. Don't even talk to me about Sepultura, they've been around since the 80's, they're hardly new. And everything after 'Arise' was watered down, and not Metal at all. Sepultura USED to be an awesome Death/Thrash band, and I still enjoy Beneath The Remains and Arise. Schizophrenia was good too.

[edit on 9-10-2006 by UnstoppableForce]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnstoppableForce
1.Heathen
2.Artillery
3.Agent Steel
4.Sodom
5.Megadeth
6.Overkill
7.Forbidden
8.Exodus
9.Pagan's Mind
10.Eidolon

That's your top ten ever...

That's how I judged your taste....You listed Dave Mustaine's band and not Metallica...Dave Mustaine would be nothing without Metallica, and he has got to be one of the worst singers ever......Yes, Metallica has gone down the gutter, but they deserve top 10 no matter who is making the list...

Just because you "know your stuff" doesn't mean you know any more than me...I wasn't "talking down" to you at all......I'd suggest you get off your high horse and not be so defensive..

you have your opinion, and I have mine....get over it.....

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
No particular order... there is the occasional song that's gay but these bands all have some good songs.

Lamb of God
Static -X
Dark Tranquility
Children Of Bodom
Amon Amarth
Soilwork
Bleeding Through
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Down
God Forbid
MEtallIcA, Iron Maiden (how did i miss these two)

Sorry thats eleven. edit: 12 now

[edit on 9-10-2006 by vicarious]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join