It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE MYSTERY OF THE LABYRINTH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I've just found this. This symbol has been seen all over different places over a perion of 000's or more years. No one really knows what it is.

members.xoom.virgilio.it...

There is no real conclusion here but a good hypothesis relating to atlantis, has anyone seen this before? Got any ideas about what it might mean?

Heres a bit of the article.

"The national archeological park of rupestrian inscriptions of Naquane at Capo di Ponte (in Lombardia, Italy) offers one of the most important manifestations of rupestrian art in the world; the engraved figures in this area haven't been completely counted in a census, but their number is estimated to be in the range of ten thousands. The inscriptions cover a very large period of time, that starts from Epipaleolithic (about 10000 B.C.) to the Middle Ages. Over one of these megaliths (at about the half of the Great Rock) there's a symbol that at the first look seems equal to the labyrinth."

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
You are refering to the Minoan labyrinth under Knossos on Crete, right. They've found the actual ruins but, no minotaur.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is indeed interesting.
I don't think it represents a City or something like that, because for that, it would mean that several people from all over the world must have had contact to the city itself or to other art that symbolises the city.

I have more of a feeling it seems to be some genetic memory...
But where does it come from? What is the source of it?

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The Cretes (Since the labryinth of Knossos has been mentioned) were a widespread, seafaring trading culture (Since they *were* pretty much confined to small islands, they developed sea-travel early), even during the time of early Egypt & while the Greeks were still barbarians...The isle of Crete was the first known culture to have such eleborate mention of the labryinth. So it's pretty much an established fact that the Cretans *were* in direct contact with many other early civilizations!

However, there's not much *real* archeological evidence of what their culture was really like...For instance, they didn't develop Writing as early as Mesopotamia & Egypt did. They're not really sure if the labryinth was *meant* to be a labryinth or if it was merely the way the under-ground portions of the palace were *built* to be used for a different purpose (Than to confine the King's son, cursed into the form of the minotaur).

...The Cretes were also the first to actually have indoor plumbing with running water...Nothing like it again until about a hundred years ago...

[Edited on 8-11-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   
One of the oldest of these carvings was found to be about 20,000 years old on a piece of mammoth ivory found in Mezin Ukraine
in South Africa a popular Zulu game is played where a maze is drawn on the ground and players take turns "finding the wayt to the king's hut", which is the center. the game is played with bull shaped dolls.

Greek writer Herodotus said that the Minoan labyrnth was modelled after an oliginal Egyptian one. The Egyptian labyrnth was created opposite to that which is called the City of Crocodiles. "the bayrnth surpasses even the pyramids. It has 12 courts covered n with gates facing one another, six upon the North side and six upon the South"

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Great post and a lot of work was done at that site on a very interesting topic.

Two hunches here, one it represents the brain but is also an analogy of the mind matter issue?

or two it is related to Atlantis as suggested in the site posted here but the symbol was used to show the spread of influence of ex-pats after the fall of Atlantis on the remaining world.

Could be something else also of course.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:09 AM
link   
it was used to show the unity of man throughout the globe before they knew they were/had a big issue on their hands that was to divide them in all houses...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:15 AM
link   
there are three different lines making up the circle...
maybe an early manifestation of the trinity complex...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
wow, thats pretty interesting, my latin teacher was telling me about some labyrinth in France under some chapel, i dont know, maybe someone else does

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
she said it she found out about it in a book that her old latin teacher wrote

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
where is this chapel?

can you find out?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
yeah, i can ask my teacher more about it on wednesday. she said it was a book so i'll get the title of that too

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The labyrinth is another one of the Timeless Symbolic and Philisophical concepts that always has and always will spring up within all cultures in one form or another. It's been used literally, spiritually and/or both and in various degrees. I'll post links at the end for in depth research and for those who are only interested in the basics I'll try and sum up a brief yet fullfilling post below.
Keep in mind that the meaning is both "Technical/Literal/Mechanical & Mental/Spiritual/Philisophical". It's the duty of each individual to adjust his/her perception accordingly to navigate the labyrinth of information for complete understanding. Misunderstanding leads to confusion which leads to wandering in circles, or in other words Lost & Trapped within the Labyrinth

labyrinth
\Lab"y*rinth\, n. [L. labyrinthus, Gr. laby`rinthos: cf. F. labyrinthe.] 1. An edifice or place full of intricate passageways which render it difficult to find the way from the interior to the entrance; as, the Egyptian and Cretan labyrinths.(Unlike mazes, labyrinths have a single path, no dead ends, and one way in and out. But the process of proceeding in and out of a labyrinth is surprisingly profound.)

The medieval labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral in France lies at the heart of a renaissance in the spiritual use of labyrinths, some 800 years after it was originally constructed.

The Labyrinth and the Tree of Life symbolic meanings along with PHI and The Golden Ratio transend almost all Religions and Cultures and have been used for everything from simple amusement to complex Magick, Rituals, Theology, Numberology and even Alchemical Science and Modern Science and Physics. The Traditions and Dances, Artwork and Architecture, Theories and Uses that can be found throughout thousands of years of Humanity are truely an almost endless journey and Mysterious Knowledge and Understanding for any and all who decide to follow the twisting path of information contained within the "Labyrinth" and "Life" itself.

For LOTS MORE info and detail here are some good links:
Various Uses and Meanings throughout History (Great!!)
www.labyrinthos.net...

Mathematics in Art and Architecture & Many Links
www.math.nus.edu.sg...

Sacred Geometry and Tree of Life
home.dmv.com...

Sacred Geometry and Labyrinths
www.spiritwheel.com...

Edit:Online Labyrinth
www.gracecathedral.org...

Have Fun!!!

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
thats what i was talkin about ^^^

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here's a new article on labyrinths being used in modern places of worship and what people are getting out of them..

www.sun-sentinel.com... /features/lifestyle/sfl-lilabyrinth17xxxjul17,0,6014863.story?coll=sfla-features-headlines

new topics

top topics

join