It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea May Be Preparing For Nuclear Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
North Korea may be preparing to conduct an underground test of a nuclear bomb, ABC reported on Thursday. The activity detected by the US intelligence community included the unloading of large reels of cable outside an underground facility called Pungyee-yok in northeast North Korea. ABC said cables can be used in nuclear testing to connect an underground test site to observation equipment.

abcnews.go.com
SEOUL (Reuters) - Reclusive North Korea, which last month defied the international community by test-firing missiles, could now be preparing its first test of a nuclear bomb, U.S. media cited U.S. officials as saying.

ABC News on Thursday quoted a senior military official as saying a U.S. intelligence agency had observed suspicious vehicle movement at a suspected North Korean test site.

A senior State Department official, who was also not identified, told the network: "It is the view of the intelligence community that a test is a real possibility."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally I don’t know what to make of this, is this just saber rattling by North Korea in light of other global events which have diminished any attention it may have gained by the June missile tests? Or is North Korea going to show that they do indeed have nuclear weapons? North Korea fired several missiles in June and it did receive attention and concern so it may be inclined to "up the ante", so to speak, and conduct a nuclear test. With that region already in tension I hope all the activity being monitored is just for show and not preparation for an actual test.

Related News Links:
www.spacewar.com
english.chosun.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: North Korea Raises Threats Of Nuclear War
NEWS: Mushroom Cloud Seen After N.Korea Explosion 9/9/04

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The level of awareness is ratcheting up, so it looks like more than rumor mongering.

S. Korea intensifies monitoring on N. Korean nukes
"The Defense Ministry is on a 24-hour vigil to deal with North Korea's potential nuclear test," an informed source said. "The ministry has already dispatched six skilled soldiers to the Korea Institute of Geoscience & Mineral Resources, a state-run organization to monitor seismic tremors on the Korean Peninsula."

South Korea, with the help of the United States, has been monitoring the North's nuclear program since the 1980s, but it is quite rare for Seoul to maintain such vigilance around the clock in cooperation with a government research center, the source added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is S. Korea giving N. Korea "please, no nuke test" incentives or paying extortion fees?

South Korea gives North 100,000 tonnes rice

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hm, well I don't remember where but I remember hearing that
I think China or Japan was going to attack N. Korea if it tested
a nuclear wepon.
I Wish I could remember the particulars.

Oh, and Westpoint, the missile tests were in early July, not June.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Is S. Korea giving N. Korea "please, no nuke test" incentives or paying extortion fees?

Yes that's a real possibility, South Korea has always had a sort of cautions view and one of "appeasement" if you will. So even though the floods hit I also find the timing of this somewhat suspicions. For their sake I hope that this not and "incentive" since it will only cause North Korea to become more aggressive in future situations. They should have been left to suffer form the effects of no outside aid now that they had this big flood.

new topics

top topics

join