It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia buys 72 Eurofighters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Saudi signs $11bn deal to buy 72 Typhoon jets

Saudi Arabia and Britain signed an agreement on Thursday for the Gulf kingdom’s purchase of 72 Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft in a deal analysts have said could be worth more than 6 billion pounds ($11.4 billion).

A Saudi Defence Ministry statement, carried by the official SPA news agency, said 'the agreement was signed ... for the purchase of 72 Typhoon aircraft.'

The brief statement, which did not give the value of the deal, said it also included a defence technology transfer.

Sources close to the negotiations had said a deal signed in December was believed to have an option of up to 72 aircraft.

The purchase is being carried out to replace British-made Tornados and other jets with the Typhoons.

The multinational Eurofighter consortium that makes Typhoon jets includes British defence contractor BAE Systems, European aerospace group EADS and Italy's Finmeccanica.

Source

BBC article
Saudi Arabia buys 72 Eurofighters

This probaly kills the speculation about the rafale purchases. Also the quoted figures are a lot more than the MRCA deal with india for fewer planes which suggest that the EF would be to expensive for the indian airforce to consider.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Larger Version

These EF adds to an already impressive fleet of

- 134 Tornados
- 72 F-15S
- 41 F-15C/D
- And the 72 Eurofighters

Material wise it is the greatest airpower in the middle east and would be hard pressed to find another airforce capable of equaling its quality. But this would make people wonder, why do they keep on buying aircraft when they have few security threats on their immediate boarder. Iran does not pose a threat to the saudis nor does israel which wouldn't take any action without some type of US assurance. Planning a war?

The EF has a combat radius of 900km

Below is a map attached of Saudi arabia

The Red line represents 400km
The Green box is Israel
The Blue boxes are the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea

If ever the Saudis are not content with their situation or they might decide to become involved in a future war against israel. It can easily stop the global economy with their mere presence in the Persian gulf which would cripple all major economies based on oil. Maybe they are buying all this equipment for a future senario to put the world in chaos some day. The EF and F-15 would effectivly outclass all fighters deployed bar the F-22 and F-35 which would only see widespread use in the next two decades. The price of oil and israel could be at risk for a potentional overthrow of the Saudi monarchy.

The question i ask is, Does the US have the capability to stop Saudi arabia in the short run. Can Israel fend off middle eastern countries with the help of Saudi Arabia. And whether Saudi Arabia will become the future major power in the Middle east (super coalition between iran, iraq and the saudis)

[edit on 18-8-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
the article states the EF's are replacing the tornado's, whos gonna get the tornados?

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
With the money the've got, they can buy anything.
But do they have the pilots to fly them?

Probably outsource them from India!!

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

they are trained by the US and other countries so im sure they have the pilots (money can buy everything these days)

also what happend to their french deal?
the rafael?

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
BBC news this afternoon are saying this is only the start, it is "an agreement between government and not a final contract".
Further exports are expected on the back of this major buy.

They also spoke of this deal currently being worth £10Billions (= more than US $18Billion) which is up more than a little on the £6billions their website is talking about.

If it's anything like the Tornado exports BAe personnel (which usually meant ex-RAF pilots) trained many RSAAF crews (with rumours - I have no idea how accurate they are - that they just actually flew them for them on many occasions).

[edit on 18-8-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by mikesingh

they are trained by the US and other countries so im sure they have the pilots (money can buy everything these days)
also what happend to their french deal?
the rafael?

I think they are going to order Typhoon not Rafale, I don't remember Saudi had used any aircraft that biult by Franch.

Btw, could you change your background to another picture, the pic you using now always catch my eyes

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
…why do they keep on buying aircraft when they have few security threats on their immediate boarder.

A bunch royal Saudi playboy's need something to do with their billions.

BTW does anyone know if the UK downgrades export versions of their systems?

Originally posted by chinawhite
The question i ask is, Does the US have the capability to stop Saudi arabia in the short run.

Yes I believe we do, look at the region, we have a presence there, and we know where all their bases are and what capabilities they have. But more importantly the Saudis can’t afford to become "hostile", if you will, because that would mess with the worlds oil supply and with the global economy, that’s a major no-no, it would draw more than just the attention of the US. Apart from the crown being overthrow I don’t foresee Saudi Arabia posing a threat (military) in the region or toward the West. They don’t like Iran, at all, so any coalition with them is out of the question. They have had for a long time a very capable military, M1’s, F-15’s IRBM’s etc… so it’s not like this is totally new. Even recently they were one of the first to speak out against Hezbollah for starting the conflict, so no I don’t think they are a future concern.

[edit on 18-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
BTW does anyone know if the UK downgrades export versions of their systems?

Its not a british plane, its a european plane made by several countries and I dont think they do.

If we value them enough to sell our planes to them I think we can trust them.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good thread.

Simple and stylish I din't know that they had a big air-force like that.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

the quoted figures are a lot more than the MRCA deal with india for fewer planes which suggest that the EF would be to expensive for the indian airforce to consider.

Not so.

The deal is an overall arms/Industry/Infrastructure support package, like the Tornado deal that preceded it. The Typhoons are just the glamourous headline grabbing part of the deal. It is impossible to deduce a unit price for these Typhoons from the details released.

According to the last reports I saw the Typhoons will only replace the ADV Tornadoes in Saudi service, plus other types such as the F-15 possibly. The Saudi IDS Tornadoes are coming back to the UK to undergo the same GR.4 upgrade as the RAF ones (which may also be included in the price of this deal).

[edit on 18-8-2006 by waynos]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Waynos according to this the Typhoon costs roughly 80 Million USD (62.9M Euro). Think the price has fallen since then?

The full, fly-away price of a single Eurofighter works out at Euro 62.9 million (altogether Euro 1.121 billion).

Link

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Good for the Eurofighter! They had lots of good aircraft to choose from and took the time to make a good, considered, decision. Too bad with all the nice aircraft they have that they do not have the ability to maintain them. All maintenance done to Saudi aircraft is perfomed by foreign nationals hired from McDonnel Douglas, Northrop, etc. I am sure the same will be true of the Eurofighter. This makes it extremely unlikely that Saudi Arabia will be any kind of a player in any future extended hostilities in the region. Once the # hits the fan, you can bet that much of the foreign force that maintiains their aircraft will depart for their homes. When that is done, the Saudis will have to get their own pretty hands greasy trying to work on technology they do not understand, or want to be involved with.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Waynos according to this the Typhoon costs roughly 80 Million USD (62.9M Euro). Think the price has fallen since then?

The full, fly-away price of a single Eurofighter works out at Euro 62.9 million (altogether Euro 1.121 billion).

Link

I don't know what the up to date unit price is and the terms of this deal seem certain to make sure we don't find out just yet

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think they do this purchase because after Iran/Syria, they are the next target in the War On Terror... They'll try to attack Israël to create a major conflict, protect themselves from the US army or protect themselves against ``The New Middle-East`` because in this new middle-east, Saudi Arabia is divised in 2 or 3 parts and of course, the leaders of this country doesn't want that.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
ChinaWhite, something bother me about you. You said that you couldn't think of other air force in the Middle East that is/are capable of match Saudi Arabia. Let me tell you about something... Israeli ADF is the most sophiscated and best trained in the middle east. Saudi Arabia is very capable of match Israel Air Defense but they doesn't have experiences like their pilots does.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I’m more interested in the missile terms of this contact. The Typhoon currently uses a mix of AIM-120B-C5 missiles. And since the UK cant export the AMRAAM what missiles will the Saudi Typhoons be equipped with?

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon
ChinaWhite, something bother me about you. You said that you couldn't think of other air force in the Middle East that is/are capable of match Saudi Arabia. Let me tell you about something... Israeli ADF is the most sophiscated and best trained in the middle east. Saudi Arabia is very capable of match Israel Air Defense but they doesn't have experiences like their pilots does.

The Israeli air force is certainly good, but we should try not over-egg the qualities of the Israel services. It is a generation since the last major war and the recent confrontation with Hezbollah has demonstrated the limitations of the Israeli capability.

Before I am barked at for challenging the myth of Israeli aerial dominance in training and in practice - in comparion to (say) Saudi - I would ask what proof there is for this assertion. After all, Saudi has some good kit and has worked with other first world airforces notably the US and UK for a couple of decades at a military level, not to mention at a commercial level.

Regards

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
IMO, the Israelis can still beat the Saudis in an air war even with Typhoons, especially if they get the F-35’s that they want (what’s the time-line for this Typhoon deal?). It might not be a cake walk but the conclusion is certain. You have to take the following factors into consideration, experience, training, tactics, combat-supply and support systems, platform armament, and of course quality/quantity of jets. Israel leads in all those categories and only *ties* in one.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I’m more interested in the missile terms of this contact. The Typhoon currently uses a mix of AIM-120B-C5 missiles. And since the UK cant export the AMRAAM what missiles will the Saudi Typhoons be equipped with?

I believe that Typhoon comes with ASRAAM for "within visual range" and Meteor for "beyond visual range". Presumably Saudi will get access to those missiles, which in turn will put the fear of god into any potential adversary! As for the medium range capability (i.e. AMRAAM), would not that capability be fulfilled by Meteor?

Regards

top topics

<<   2 >>

join