It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO project, work in progress.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I’m doing a ufo Photography project.
I’ve decided to give this a try and share it with everyone. Probably, nothing will turn up. But this will be beneficial ether way. There will be really good references as to what is not a ufo.

Info:
I would consider myself an intermediate photographer.
My camera: Nikon D70, settings on manual, auto focus OFF. (auto focus will not function properly with this type of photography.)

Lens 1: AF-S NIKKOR 70-300mm zoom. ** (this one will be used the most)
Lens 2: AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm zoom. * (wide angle lens)
Lens 3: AF MICRO NIKKOR 105mm. (useless for this type of photography, no zoom)

Point of all this: to see if I can photograph something I’ve never seen before.

First I’ll start with a photo for dust reference, it is a photo of the sky to show you where the dust is on my ccd. I hate cleaning out my camera, that’s why the dust is there.

Also for your reference, I will post a photo of a plane, a flying bug, a flying bird, etc. 2 reasons why:
1: to show my focus abilities. 2: reference for obvious reasons/to show what is not a UFO
ALL photos will be shot specifically for this thread, NO photos will be edited (including dust) except for resize. I cannot post full resolution, ALL photos will be shot by me.
If you want more reference photos of planes, bugs, birds, or other please request. For requests, I will do links only to save thread space.

Also I will put reference of lens flares, hot pixels, dig. Camera glitch (if I get any), etc.

Each photo will be posted on the thread with a link to same photo, but full res. Full resolution photos for some people, will load slowly.

Edit: Change of plan: most photos will be links. I am just learning this site. Instead, there will be a high and low res link.

This project is going to be a hassle with all the photo posting and stuff, so be patient with me please. I will keep actively updating the best I can until I say “I’m done” at the bottom of this post.

Future reference categories:

A flying bug.
A flying bird.
High flying jet.
A personal airplane.
lens flare.
A “flying rod“. (low shutter speed)
A smudged bug. (low shutter speed)
A dust particle orb.
Cigarette smoke.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Marclar]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I just learned photo bucket automatically reduces the size of photos, so only one link. Sorry, bare with me please. (no high resolution)

If anyone can give me advice on this project a u2u would be great.

Dust reference: i111.photobucket.com...
there seems to be less dust than I thought.

Bird in flight: i111.photobucket.com...
A high flying buzzard, photo taken with zoom lens.Very slight overexposure.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Marclar]Added photo.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marclar
I just learned photo bucket automatically reduces the size of photos, so only one link. Sorry, bare with me please. (no high resolution)

If anyone can give me advice on this project a u2u would be great.

Dust reference: i111.photobucket.com...

Bird in flight: i111.photobucket.com...

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Marclar]Added photo.

I got a host for you that you can host huge images, we NEED super highres stuff!

Use this: www.imageshack.us...

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I got it! High res:

Dust reference:

Bird in flight:

[edit on 18-8-2006 by Marclar]

[edit on 18-8-2006 by Marclar]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
“Flying rod”:
This photo was taken in the back yard tonight in a spotlight. This particular “rod” was a moth. It is a poor photo but it will do for now. I will take a better one later. For some reason there aren’t very many bugs out tonight. I had to bang on the porch screen to get them flying around. The shutter speed was too low, so the “rod” was too long and the tree leafs were yellowed from over exposure.

On “flying rods”:
the rods in the suns corona look different than nighttime porch light “rods”. In the sun, you catch the glare off of the insects exoskeleton and wings, so you get something that looks see-through. In the porch light, you get a streaked solid image of the insect due to lower light, less glare and/or dark backdrop.

because it is nighttime you have more chances to get your rod photo because insects are attracted to light. Corona rods are considerably harder to catch because an insect is less likely to pass through your cameras view.

*See new photos below*

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Marclar]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I went to the driveway light and shot these photos. This is one of those buzzing lights that come on at dusk, incandescent I think. These photos are way better.

Rod with flash:
I used a flash with this one. It illuminated the moth at the beginning of the exposure on a different spectrum of light. And yes, you can use a flash with a long exposure.

Rod with no flash:

new topics

top topics

join