It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caspian Sea Monster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The Ekranoplans arent striclty an aircraft project, but I suppose its a plane of sorts!

Awesome looking bit of kit, might just be me but something that size so close to the sea at speed looks spooky, like it shouldnt work

Like a lot of mother russia's creations, its a shame they run out of money before showing its full potential.

Vids and pics below, sorry if these have been covered, I dont get chance to visit here much.

Video

video

Pic

pic

pic

Google earth pic, parked up

Another google earth pic

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Ernold Same]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You have voted Ernold Same for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Very cool post that I really enjoyed since I had never seen video of the monster in action until now

Did some research and that big one with 6 anti ship missles mounted on top which is the only example of a Lun Class named MD160 could lift 1000 tons
and travel over 400kmph!

Max range was 1000nm so I guess they didnt plan to cross the Atlantic, but it could be too rough for one anyway

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I just have one major question what exactly is a Ekranoplane??? It looks really interesting, but what are they exactly?

Falcon out...

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That is so cool It looks like somthing out of Thunderbirds.Thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This plane really needs to be looked at closer...

it could fit a crucial need for the next big thing in technological progress...

fast cheap shipping of heavy weight...

you can ship slow, by boat, and it takes 3-9 weeks to go over the ocean...
you can ship fast by air (takes a few days total) but is expensive as hell...

a rapid transport at affordable cost is very needed, and this ship/plane is the perfect thing... (i also thought about commercial hovercraft)

I think the idea of using ground effect to boost the lift of the plane is a no brainer...
the russians have solved a major shipping hurdle for the next millenia, and haven't even realized it yet... because they are thinking it would make a great tank mover...

I did some rough projections, and at decent speed, this could cross the oceans in 2-3 days, and refuel along the way...

that is shipping at its most effiencient.
from what i understand, these get way better gas mileage than an airplane, so it should be very competitive against shipping freight rates, at about twice the time for delivery of air freight.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Falcon9021
I just have one major question what exactly is a Ekranoplane??? It looks really interesting, but what are they exactly?

Falcon out...

They're also known as "wing in ground" aircraft. They operate on Ground Effect, which kicks in when your altitude is lower than your wingspan is wide. Air gets "cushioned" under the wing and the amount of lift being generated goes way up without any drag penalties.

You've probably felt ground effect if you've ever flown in an aircraft - it's that brief hesitation the aircraft makes just before the wheels touch down.

Ekranoplanes are designed to fly only in ground effect, 20-30 feet up if they leave the ground at all (they're usually shown skimming the surface of the water). They can use smaller wings, are very efficient, and can be built much larger than conventional aircraft. This makes them very popular for rapid transport concepts.

To give you some numbers, Boeing proposed a similar aircraft desinged to use ground effects (not pure a pure ekranoplane, it was meant to fly at altitude as well). They predicted a 6,000 mile range for the aircraft, increased to 10,000 miles if it stayed in ground effect.

The downside usually left unsaid is the lack of practicality. Flying at 20 ft over 15 foot swells (open ocean) leaves you little room for margin. The Russian's crashed at least one of their aircraft, killing lots of people in the process. Rough terrain is also strictly off limits to such aircraft. And Boeing discovered that a jet designed for wing-in-ground flight probably wouldn't have enough power/lift to gain altitude.

[edit on 29-8-2006 by RedMatt]

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Fantastic!!

I just had half my workplace crowded around my computer in awe at the weirdness of the designs.
Go shout yourself a nice cheese scone and cup of coffee.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
www.se-technology.com...

hi guys i am shasa from europe

good website for ekranolans, enjoy

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Interesting thought for today;

Just think if Hitler had those at his disposal in 1940 for the invasion of Britain. "Cakewalk" is the word that springs to mind for me.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboostDid some research and that big one with 6 anti ship missles mounted on top

Those were the engines which propelled the vehicle. Unfortunately, the project was scrapped.

These craft were originally developed by the Soviet Union as very high-speed (several hundred km/hour) military transports, and were mostly based on the shores of the Caspian Sea and Black Sea. The largest could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The development of ekranoplans was supported by Dmitri Ustinov, Minister of Defence of USSR. About 120 ekranoplans (A-90 Orlyonok class) were initially planned to enter military service in the Soviet Navy. The figure was later reduced to less than 30 units, planned to be deployed mainly for the Black and the Baltic Soviet navies. Marshal Ustinov died in 1985, and the new Minister of Defence Marshal Sokolov effectively ceased the funding for the program. The only three operational A-90 Orlyonok units built (with renewed hull design) and one Lun-class ekranoplan remained at a naval base near Kaspiysk.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ahh, this dredges up memories!

My first ever post on ATS, over a year ago: Soviet jet-powered hydrofoil

These things are cool. I like the fact that not only can they go on water, but over land as well, like a very fast hovercraft. Apparently, they were suited to Russia because of the many inland water bodies, where swells did not get the change to rise above about 4-5 foot.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Boeing Phantom Works has released this image of its conceptual Aerofoil Boat called the Pelican ULTRA (Large Transport Aircraft). Don't let the size of this image fool you. This concept, based upon ground-effect (WIG) principles is a massive vessel, designed to carry 1,400 Tonnes over 16,000 km. The length of the vessel would be longer than a football field and the span of its massive wing would be about 500 feet. The wing-surface area would cover more than an acre. The craft would be capable of carrying 17 M-1 battle tanks on a single sortie at speeds 10 times those of current container ships.

foxxaero.homestead.com...

foxxaero.homestead.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ekratoplan has it's positives, but it is not very suitable to fly over oceans and open seas. That's the reason it was used mainly on Caspian see, which is in fact just a big lake. It also can fly over water.
Boeing Pelican is interesting concept (because it can fly over continents too) but I don't like the idea of putting so much eggs into one basket. Also such huge plane would be extremely expensive, so when you lost few of them it could deal powerfull blow to your finances. I think 150 ton capacity (or 2 Abrams) is enough.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Nice find.

Those wings? Do they produce enough ligt for the plane? You can clearly see by looking at the video that it has very hard to get in the air at all.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Interesting thought for today;

Just think if Hitler had those at his disposal in 1940 for the invasion of Britain. "Cakewalk" is the word that springs to mind for me.

Yeh! it's best not to think about it! In my own opinion it's the scariest plane ever created, it's no wonder there called monsters.

I mean, imagine seeing 20 of them out at sea coming towards you! The noise they produce must be very loud as well.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by clashrock]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by clashrock

Yeh! it's best not to think about it! In my own opinion it's the scariest plane ever created, it's no wonder there called monsters.

I mean, imagine seeing 20 of them out at sea coming towards you! The noise they produce must be very loud as well.

And yeah, imagine how easy it would be to shoot them down. That machine isn't a bird, it's metal that flies, the wings are too small. Nut from a historical point of view I agree, it's the find of the day.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN

Originally posted by clashrock

And yeah, imagine how easy it would be to shoot them down. That machine isn't a bird, it's metal that flies, the wings are too small. Nut from a historical point of view I agree, it's the find of the day.

Might be easy to shoot down but since they fly in ground effect they would not have far to drop so it would not cause a lot of damage, not like shooting a plane down flying at 50,000 feet.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by ULTIMA1]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ULTIMA1

Might be easy to shoot down but since they fly in ground effect they would not have far to drop so it would not cause a lot of damage, not like shooting a plane down flying at 50,000 feet.

I don't think would be hard to design a missile to destory a plane like that. Besides, it doesn't matter how high the plane flies, the missile will still destroy it, most damage comes from the missile not from the drop.

[edit on 3-9-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN

Originally posted by ULTIMA1

I don't think would be hard to design a missile to destory a plane like that. Besides, it doesn't matter how high the plane flies, the missile will still destroy it, most damage comes from the missile not from the drop.

[edit on 3-9-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

I was talking shooting down as in AA guns.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Can anyone tell me why:

1 They were only designed for use on the Caspian and Black Seas?

2 They have not been more widely/commercially adopted for transport?

Fascinating find on Youtube! I've heard about these things for years, but have never seen one of them working.

TD

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join