It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea may be preparing nuke test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

There is new evidence that North Korea may be preparing to for an underground test of nuclear bomb, U.S. officials tell ABC News.

"It is the view of the intelligence community that a test is real possibility," says a senior State Department official.

A senior military official tells ABC News that a U.S. intelligence agency has recently observed "suspicious vehicle movement" at a suspected North Korean test site.

The activity includes the unloading of large reels of cable outside an underground facility called Pungyee-yok in northeast North Korea. Cables can be used in nuclear testing to connect an underground test site to outside observation equipment. The intelligence was brought to the attention of the White House last week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Man, this can't be good news.
This guy is a maniac.
I don't get why they have to push this issue.
Will we gain more backing if this happens?

[edit on 17-8-2006 by lardo5150]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
if we're lucky he'll end up like those kids that play with fireworks...maybe he'll blow a hand off and learn his lesson.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If North Korea does in fact do a test its my guess that it'll be a benefit to Iran also.

Look at it this way NK as an announced player in the field can get away with doing a test without much ado other than media hype and hand wringing by western nations. The Iranians cannot at this time do a test without causing itself pain.

Watch for an Iranian presence if this actually goes forward.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
We should covertly supply particle excelleration plans to Kim so that NK will turn into a black hole!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Tinfoil-hat time again...

What would be the chances of NK hosting a test for an Iranian-built device?

Kimmy gets to scare the pants outta everyone, and Arjibarjiimsobad gets to test-detonate a new toy...

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I wish we all knew more about it. A date would be nice. His test worries me what if one day its not the test but is for real. Didn't this man say back in 2004 he could reach the US with his missles.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I wish we all knew more about it. A date would be nice. His test worries me what if one day its not the test but is for real. Didn't this man say back in 2004 he could reach the US with his missles.

Remember his tests on July 4... yeah, they got the missiles, but the big one failed and the short/medium range are only a threat to South Korea and Japan (though none of them crossed Japan). North Korea still have a lot of work to do to get their missile in range of U.S. soil. Sure, they could surprise us with another test in the coming months, but it will have to be perfect. A nuclear test will only cause panic in Japan and they will contemplate building their own nuke. South Korea will side with the U.S. but don't want to hurt any relations with the North and China will pretend like nothing ever happend (just kdding).

If they do test any nuclear weapon, all you will see is another outcry from world followed by NO action... why... because the UN is ALWAYS slow to act. Now if NK missile tests were succesful and then they tested a nuclear bomb, things will be more serious. Sure the bomb will need to modified to be fitted on the missile, but things will be different.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
If they test a nuke? hhhhhhhmmmmmm

SK and Japan # themselves and demand action.
China strapes on its big boots and lets Kim the nut job know that his unwanted attention getting isnt helping them and tighten the leash.
The US warns it and asks the UN and current 6 party talk nations to look at sanctions.
Iran uses this as an excuse for having its own nuke "power" progam.
The UN says bad boy and goes back to collecting its money under the table and telling the US what its needs to do, how and blah blah blah like theyve done for years.

Over all, it'll strenghten nations against NK( or Kim to be specific) but prove he does in deed have nukes( or at least had one).

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
All i can say that this provides the perfect situation for media attention while something bad happens somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'm so glad the U.N. does it's job. Their great. Oh North Korea and Iran, you've been bad boys, we're going to take you to the U.N. if you keep mis-behaving. ...I mean it this time. We'll do it..You better stop!

They don't scare anybody because they don't have the balls to do anything.

I believe Iran will use this. The attention has been back and forth between North Korea and Iran. It's been on Iran lately but be sure North Korea will get the attention back.

I have little doubt that North Korea and Iran are working together on this. Distracting everybody and taking turns doing it.

Even though North Korea, as of the July 4th tests, doesn't have a missile capable of hitting the United States mainland, they have the ability to attack our interests in the region. South Korea and Japan obviously. We have troops stationed in that region. I'm pretty sure they want a war with us and that'd be a pretty damn good way to get one started, using a nuclear weapon on our troops.

I guess we have to wait and see but I predict, as long as the U.N. has their head up their ass, that we will go to war with both of these countries because nobody is going to stand up and do something about them besides us.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dstarsfan879905
I'm so glad the U.N. does it's job. Their great. Oh North Korea and Iran, you've been bad boys, we're going to take you to the U.N. if you keep mis-behaving. ...I mean it this time. We'll do it..You better stop!

They don't scare anybody because they don't have the balls to do anything.

I believe Iran will use this. The attention has been back and forth between North Korea and Iran. It's been on Iran lately but be sure North Korea will get the attention back.

I have little doubt that North Korea and Iran are working together on this. Distracting everybody and taking turns doing it.

Even though North Korea, as of the July 4th tests, doesn't have a missile capable of hitting the United States mainland, they have the ability to attack our interests in the region. South Korea and Japan obviously. We have troops stationed in that region. I'm pretty sure they want a war with us and that'd be a pretty damn good way to get one started, using a nuclear weapon on our troops.

I guess we have to wait and see but I predict, as long as the U.N. has their head up their ass, that we will go to war with both of these countries because nobody is going to stand up and do something about them besides us.

You do know the war with N.Korea never ended dont you? thats why we got loads troops between south and north cause it came to ceasefire, USA could today go nuke N.Korea and be perfectly legit and legal as war never ended, USA and allies are still at war with N.Korea been 50+ years but theres been no surrender or declaration of either side saying the wars ended.

[edit on 18-8-2006 by blobby]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Kim is obviously being an attention whore. Anytime the limelight is shifted people like him do something so that the world pays attention. Its typical of the personality type. Too bad this one has nukes.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Good for North Korea. Build as many as they can and stay strong. If Israel can have nukes so can North Korea & Iran for that matter. We'll all die from something else anyways (ie. global warming) so nations might as well have some fun scare mongering and protect their sovereignty.

brill

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have a question.

Lets say NK does attempt a nuclear test-now what?

What do we do/react? What does the rest of the world do/react.

Will our reaction depnd on if NK was sucessful or not in exploding a nuclear weapon?

If they do have successful nuclear test, does it mean that they will export this to ???ME/Iran/Syria/Hama/Hezbolla???

If they do and it is used, does it mean NK should be nuked in responce????

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
We shouldnt nuke anyone. I dont feel like seeing if I can survive a nuclear winter.
however, IF they do sell a nuke , well.....it them or us.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
If this is true and they test a nuke, China WILL come down on North Korea hard. America knows that China does not want a war on its doorstep and if North Korea continues to be an attention whore via using weapons, expect China to stop economic support.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Keep in mind that testing a nuke is one thing. Miniaturizing it and engineering it so it is capable of ballistic transport (either by missile or some other means) is something else altogther. Even if they do have a successful test (which is hardly assured) they have a long way to go before the thing has any practical use. And much, much farther still before they are capable of building enough to be any truily credible widespread threat. Despite the fact that the world is polarized in the extreme right now, if ANY country (the US included) used a nuke on any other country that country and any country aligning itself with them would become an instant international pariah.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Makeing a nuke "small" isnt that important I dont think. All they would have to do is get a shipping container within a mile or so of NY's harbors, or anyone elses harbors for that matter. I am not sure about the security measures for checking shipping containers a mile off shore but I would assume that its pretty easy to do (with money of course).

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Makeing a nuke "small" isnt that important I dont think. All they would have to do is get a shipping container within a mile or so of NY's harbors, or anyone elses harbors for that matter. I am not sure about the security measures for checking shipping containers a mile off shore but I would assume that its pretty easy to do (with money of course).

That would only be true if they were interested in 'popping-off' 1 or maybe 2 of these devices in a place like NY harbor. But the engineering required to make nukes stable, lower detectability and increase reliability is more difficult than engineering the nuke itself. Can you imagine what would happen if NK (or anyone else) did what you suggested (successfully get a nuke in a shipping container into NY harbor)? First, this being their first generation nuke it wouldn't be particularly large but would be pretty dirty. Yes, it would create havoc, loss of life and alot of damage. But the retaliation from the US --- retaliation that NO country on the planet could successfully argue against --- would be multi-megaton in scope. An SLBM retaliatory attack would come so fast there would be no warning and no opportunity to do anything. It would be the practical end of whatever country(ies) were determined to be the perpetrator of the event.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

It would be in North Korea's interest to make them small enough to fit onto a missile. Getting them shipped half way around the world is going to be difficult. North Korea will want to sell them and fit them onto their missiles. It will take some time, but once they do that, they can hold the world hostage (but first they must get working missiles).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join