It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-war Buddhist monks in brawl...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

edition.cnn.com...

On Thursday, around 1,000 people marched in Colombo then gathered in a park to urge an end to the fighting. Reuters journalists said scuffles broke out between the peace activists and hardline Buddhist monks who oppose concessions to the rebels.

The scuffles turned into an open fight after the shaven-headed, saffron-robed monks took over the stage, forcing religious leaders from Hindu, Christian and Muslim communities as well as other Buddhist monks to flee.

"They were saying we should go to war," said pro-peace monk Madampawe Assagee. "We like to listen to other opinions so we let them do that but then they started fighting and we couldn't control some of our people."

Like a bad skit from SNL, the headline betrays the horrors of an on again off again civil war that has lasted 23 years. Once again, the underlying theme is ethnic differences. The travesty here is that the conflict has been largely unreported in the Western press, and there is no resolution in sight.

References:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You know its a bad situation when buddhists are fighting.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
You know its a bad situation when buddhists are fighting.

I agree.............I'd almost want to laugh if it wasnt so horribly true.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well there goes my old line about how peaceful buddhist monks are. Tibet or Nepal buddhista still peaceful or has that changed too?

I believe they are still peaceful in Nepal.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by Regenmacher]

top topics

join