It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

greatest reward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
During my years in the military I spent a lot of time with the troops that were under my command (as I gained rank anyway). One time many years ago I had met a young lady that was a Pfc and she had a drug problem. This was a bad drug problem. She was destroying her life as well as that of her family. With everything going against her I made a decision not to wash her out and fought hard for her. I got her into a rehab program and made her complete it all. She appeared to be okay and was eventually transferred ( as does happen a lot). Anyway 5 years later when I was ready to retire and was cleaning out my office at Fort Drum I was thinking about all the people I had met. Somehow, I didn't think of her though.
When I was done and had a last cup of coffee with the Captain and the Colonel and other brass I walked out the front door and there were (honestly) 300 to 400 men and women (soldiers) there all clapping their hands. I thought they were just glad to be rid of me.
This one young lady (now a sgt.) walked up to me and said "I don't know if you remember me but you saved my life".
I had to think for a moment and then I knew who she was. I said I did what was right at the time. This young lady gave me a dozen yellow roses and kissed me on the cheek. Then 300 or more people all saluted me. In all my years and after all the medals the Army gave me and having met 2 presidents in person for awards, there has never been an award that has meant more to me than those roses, and a thank you.
It taught me that each and every person can be helped if they want it. I will always cherish that one day for the rest of my life.
By the way that young lady had travelled all the way from Fort Sam Houston, Texas to say goodbye to me.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Nice!

I wouldn't have expected anything less from you!

(Salute)

Dave

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
A wonderful story!!!! Why can't people do this type of stuff more often!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

A great story lilwolf. It really warmed my heart. The story's importance is that the military is comprised, for the most part, by decent men and women who have ethics, morals and just plain decency. They reflect America.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

Very touching
I wish all were like you in the military to restore the image and lead the country

new topics

top topics

join