It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Rules Bush Surveillance Unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's breaking right now on ABC, that a federal judge has ruled that the warrantless surveillance used by the Bush administration is indeed unconstitutional and has ordered a halt to them.

What a surprise, eh? I'm sure there will be some on here that are going to say it's some sort of activist judge or the like. Bottom line, it is now ruled that it has indeed happened (obviously) and that it is unconstitutional. I think this is a very good thing for the country, and that it was excellent that it was stopped before taken too far.

CNN Link

*Edit - Removed "Breaking" to shorten title.

[edit on 8/17/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Finally, a change for the better. Lets hope this holds up all the way to the supreme court, because you know they won't let it sit here.

And given his track record, somehow, I do not think that even a supreme court ruling will deter Bush and Co from their big brother surveilance programs. He has no respect or regard for law unless its one he makes.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
since its so secretive anyway, dont you think the administration will just continue what they're doing behind closed doors? i imagine they've already invested a huge amount of money into the infastructure, theres no way they would stop now. seems to me like they'll keep doing it, but now you wont hear anything about it...

one can only hope they'll stay on the up and up, i just dont see it as being very likely.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
since its so secretive anyway, dont you think the administration will just continue what they're doing behind closed doors?

Actually, the "state secret" part was the most credible challenge to this case. However, since Bushie has already stated that it has happened the judge was able to rule on it. Not much of a secret when you're talking about it, right?

Let's hope this can put them in line, or at least keep them in line in this one area.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Didn't the FISA court already admit the possibility that the president could legally tap phones without their consent? Obviously this is something that needs to be settled by the Supreme Court.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Obviously this is something that needs to be settled by the Supreme Court. [/quote

Absolutely. There is nothing healthier for this country than divisive issues like this settled by the highest court in the country. I'm all for it.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
do you think its possible the administration may let a terrorist attack "slip through their hands" just to make an argument for the program? seems like something they would do, i guess well have to wait and see. after the next terror attack (if there is one) the administration will have plenty of fuel to go after the libs for this. i hope this doesn't endup causing more of a problem than it already has.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

do you think its possible the administration may let a terrorist attack "slip through their hands" just to make an argument for the program? seems like something they would do, i guess well have to wait and see. after the next terror attack (if there is one) the administration will have plenty of fuel to go after the libs for this. i hope this doesn't endup causing more of a problem than it already has.

My thoughts have hit that notion a few times when pondering what may happen. You know what though? What in the world is wrong with a country when it's people start considering terrorist repercussions to court rulings on unconstitutional acts perpetrated by our own presidency? It is sad to even have to type that out. People considering attacks because the presidency was put in it's place. :shk:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Obviously this is something that needs to be settled by the Supreme Court.

Yep, and I think it will, not just for this case but how many federal judges are there in the country? Too many. I know they don’t all agree with this ruling so its hit or miss depending on where you file, which is why we need one central court to decide. Too many opinions out there on what and what isn’t unconstitutional.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
i started off feeling good about this, but now i have a very nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. im gonna go cry while I re-supply my bombshelter.
i guess its time to stock up on duct tape.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

i started off feeling good about this, but now i have a very nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. im gonna go cry while I re-supply my bombshelter.

Nah, I wouldn't worry that much about this. Just make sure you have some visquine(sp) and duct tape, you should be fine! Is visquine in this year, or is it now going to be Ronco Food Dehydrators for our hair gel so we can board planes?

Smile bokinsmow, it improves your facial value!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
?

Its ok all they have to do is go through their regular FISA channels which allows them to immediately wiretap whoever they want as long as they get a warrant within 72 hours. How does this hamper their ability to "catch terrorist?" Unless, they just dont like being bothered with obtaining FISA warrant, such a hassle.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor
Ahhh, the liberal herself. No wonder...

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Duct tape won't save you.

You just have to make the choice to stop living in fear.

As long as there are "Haves" (with and axe to grind) and "Have-nots" (who are easily manipulated) there will be organized crime, a.k.a. "terrorism".

The only thing this administration has done is to widen the gap between the two, and, you are no safer today then you were pre 9/11.

So live, love, and enjoy your life while you have it.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by vance
U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor
Ahhh, the liberal herself. No wonder...

I knew this would come up sooner or later. Links? Backup information? I'm just as open to the possibility as anyone else, so why don't you back up that statement?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
The only thing this administration has done is to widen the gap between the two, and, you are no safer today then you were pre 9/11.

Nah, don’t think so, perhaps your everyday level of safety isn’t any better but IMO we are better protect against large scale terrorist attacks now than we were pre 9/11.

And funny quote you have there by Woody, too bad his record says otherwise.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

since its so secretive anyway, dont you think the administration will just continue what they're doing behind closed doors? i imagine they've already invested a huge amount of money into the infastructure, theres no way they would stop now. seems to me like they'll keep doing it, but now you wont hear anything about it...

one can only hope they'll stay on the up and up, i just dont see it as being very likely.

Exactly, they have been doing this for years, before Bush even got into office back when there was no need for it! Clinton is the one that signed off on the bill that put chips on your motherboard so the NSA can get in or track what you do. The federal government does not give a damn about it's people, they are not protecting us, and sadly the judges comments will do nothing to actually halt the administration. At least it brings it forward so that people can understand it is ilegal, people wont beleive anything unless Fox says it.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
chips on what motherboard? my computer? im a card carrying systems engineer and ive never come across an unknown chip on any computer.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
And funny quote you have there by Woody, too bad his record says otherwise.

Ironic, isn't it.

Those wise words were spoken in an address to New York Press Club before he was actually elected and changed his tune. :shk:

Kinda like Ike waiting untill he was on his way out to warn of us of the dangers involved with the M.I.C.

We may be moderately safer from plane hijackings today but, that was never really the biggest threat and many of those larger threats still remain inadequately addressed so we are really no safer today when looking at the big picture.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm all for eliminating those "warrantless" wiretaps but I don't think that goes quite far enough. IMO they should throw out the Patriot Act in it's entirety and start over; this time with their minds on the ideals this country was founded on, like honor, justice and integrity. This is just my personal opinion and not meant to be interpreted as anything but that.

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment. -- Robert Hutchins, Great Books, 1954

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.--Abraham Lincoln

new topics

top topics

join