It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Confessions of an American Ex-Patriot" op/ed by another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Considering the interests of those at this community, I figured it would be easy enough to post this for any one who hasn't seen it yet. How ever being that as I just found the site, must warn that it seems a tad odd, at least to me. Not the page linked, but the home page and such. To get an idea of what that may be, please consider and ponder the selected samples below. Linked page is a sort of long read, but not too long.

It all began about a year ago... If we’re a democracy, then why is it that the important decisions of running this country and how our tax dollars are spent, are rarely a matter of public knowledge, let alone votes?....George W. Bush is president today, but not by a vote of the people.... How can a court decide who wins the presidency in a democracy?

Concept by: Matthew Webb

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Your quoted section ask's a very good question and that is also the main reason i dont vote, thier is never anybody to vote for, we are only left with 2 parties to vote for and any other party most usualy doesnt make the ballot.

I have always found it kind of funny how in a Democracy where WE THE PEOPLE are supposed to govern that we the PEOPLE have very little say in what goes on, you dont ever see them going to the poll's and having us vote on things like the patriot-act obviously if WE THE PEOPLE thought we needed it the act would have passed through the ballot system.

No matter how many americans or financial instituitions talk about government spending they just keep on spending it.

I think a law needs to be passed that says if congress can vote on thier own pay raise so shall the american worker.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by MadMachinist]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
We don't live in a democracy. In fact there is no purely democratic government on the planet. Americans live in Representative Republic. The country is just too large to run a successful democracy. The logistics would be impossible and matter of factly, we don't want a majority rule anyways. Democracy works well in microcosm type environments, such as communes, boats, spaceships or whathaveyou, any group that has minimal persons.

Majority rule would suck and those that penned the Constitution were quite aware of that. I don't think I want to get into a civics course here, but a simple search on the net for 'representative republic' should give you a good understanding of why we don't live in a democracy.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That is an arguement best for another thread, but deeply tied into this one. The whole demo VS repub arguement. I have friends who swear this is a "Democratic government" as well as those who say it is a "Republic government", it is one or the other. Based on the fact that the USA was established as a republic, I say and agree it is.

In my opinion, the writer of the "concept" is very patriotic, even more so than those who blindly beleive only one side without the other.

Great comments, looking forward to reading more.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
First of all very good article.

I agree with MadMachinist we only have two main parties that make sure no other party makes it unless is to play political games against the other party.

I agree also that we are no longer We the people but the elected government takes the role off totalitarian in the name of We the people.

I agree we work pay taxes are bound by laws that we didn’t ask for and we are never told how we want our tax money to be use.

I agree we are not a democracy but the Republic die a long time ago also.

To tell you the truth and perhaps people as always than live under the democracy illusion I feel that our government is run under totalitarian rule.

We are a proud American nation because that is what we are told since childhood that we are the best nation in the word and that we are the example of what a government run by the people should be.

But is a lie.

We the people do not run anything in this nation anymore.

We are told we are free but that is not so, we are bound by laws that the people didn’t have not say so when enacted.

We live under and illusion of democracy, patriotism and freedom.

But reality tells is not so.

Great article advisor.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Thanks for that Advisor.
Great read

In the same vein check out David Cogswell's August 16th entry on this page titled Nutso!

I would hate to have to endure being called "unamerican", but I do think this country is crazy.

It's such a mountain of falsehood piled upon falsehood. You just have to wonder how high it can be piled before it keels over from its own weight and stench.

Where do we reach the reduction ad absurdum of the U.S.' fraudulent foreign policy?

You cannot fence off the U.S. and keep all potential threats out. At some point you have to address the reasons for the rage against the country.

Meanwhile, they are taking my tweezers, and now they are taking my shampoo, in order to protect America,...

There is no way anyone can make a case for that system really making America safe from attack. The proposition is laughable.

Stay the course. Hang in there while they dismantle what remains of your rights and your economic stability.

No wonder no one outside of the U.S. media propaganda system can understand Americans. And not only is their understanding running out, their patience is wearing thin. If the Bush administration continues to drain the U.S. economic system, it will soon become an irrelevant country.

The war for some reason or other. That's what took your money, your pension, your insurance coverage, your job, you name it.

When it starts impinging on your own life, then you start to see through the lies.

I recommend the whole article.

[edit on 8/16/2006 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Thanks Gools, another great read.

What I don't get it is . . . why nobody has come forward to expose our government for what it is and what really is the agenda behind the wars.

It seems to me that everybody in higher positions in our nation are all in it.

They all benefiting from what is going on . . . at the same time none of them really give a darn about the people that are the base and the support of our Nation.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Am so late in replying buthere goes.

Glad you enjoyed, now if I could just get others to give it a try.

LoL

hint hint....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You know things took a turn for the worst when Americans started correcting each other:

But we're not a democracy, we're a representative republic!

Never heard that till 2001.. Now I hear it left and right. You know the countries gone to the #ter when its people resort to semantics & political correctness in some morbid sense of acceptance with rights/freedoms lost.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Agreed.

Now we have to reverse that de-evolving trend...

join