It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Dog-like Beast Killed by Car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...
In the end, wildlife officials got a DNA analysis that showed the animal was a rare wolf-dog hybrid, he said.

It looks like a slightly weird dog.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
More pics:
www.cryptomundo.com...

(that article was thanks to ATS member jbondo in this thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It just really irritates me that the writer of the Fox News article tries to give the whole thing a scare feel by using words like mauled, frightened, mutant, evil, "chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night", etc. And then people wonder where urban legends come from!?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
It just really irritates me that the writer of the Fox News article tries to give the whole thing a scare feel by using words like mauled, frightened, mutant, evil, "chilling monstrous cries and eyes that glow in the night", etc. And then people wonder where urban legends come from!?
Enh, you're jsut mad because that's your family he's talking about.

J/k

But in this case, he's reinforcing an already existing urban myth.

Btw, why do we get these artilces? Is it slow news day?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

As America becomes more and more urban, we have an ever increasing ratio of American residents who have never seen an actual dead animal.

In general you may be right but you cant use a blanket statement like that regarding folks from Maine.

You cant get much more rural and those people see livestock and wild animals on a daily basis.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It reminds me a bit of the beast of Gévaudan.

Curiouser and curiouser.

When I get around to putting up a web site on la Bête, I should remember to include this.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
this story if you have noticed has made its way onto the aol homepage

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SwatMedic

As America becomes more and more urban, we have an ever increasing ratio of American residents who have never seen an actual dead animal.

In general you may be right but you cant use a blanket statement like that regarding folks from Maine.

You cant get much more rural and those people see livestock and wild animals on a daily basis.

Actually, you can get more rural than Maine, but its still 38th out of 50th for population density by state (Wikipedia: US population density by state).

Kidding aside, I definitely concede your point. People in Maine are certainly more likely to be able to identify a carcass than more urban folks.

Even so, I think it's true to an extent that the vast majority of Americans, (not just Maine-ites) are less familiar with flora and fauna than we were a generation ago.

This Wikipedia article points out that 75% of Americans live in urban or suburban areas. So, I'd stand by the statement that an increasing number of Americans are not exposed to a wide variety of wildlife. I suspect that's true in most communities, even rural ones, where more and more jobs are service and infrastructure related, rather than farming.

From EPA website:, 2% of Americans live on farms. 40% of American farmers are 55 years old, or older.

So, while my statement is certainly less true of a state like Maine, I think it probably is fairly accurate regarding the nation in general, and even true to a lesser extent in smaller communitees and more rural areas.

As an example, the (texas) town I grew up in only had one restaurant, and 1 video game parlour. Now it has 4 fast food restaurants, and 3 movie rental places. And the population has declined, as is typical of rural America. So, even with less people, fewer rural people are working on farms, and are used to dealing with nature.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Dead dog. The odd shape of its head may be due to trauma suffered from an automobile.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Dog / wolf hybrid I'll wager.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I saw the crawl that my ISP provides, got very excited, came here right away, and now I feel...duped. I bought into it. My dog is part Chow, and it ceratinly has some Chow characteristics. It definately doesn't live ( no pun intended!) up to the hype per the photo. I expected something from a Stephen King book ( which is part of the hype used to sell the story ). I don't wish for pet-killing mutants to roam the earth ( just yet ), but I was excited by the possibility of scientific proof of something different...something that would " shake things up " a bit. Isn't that what all of us here wanted when we first saw the story? I'll admit that I did. The JonBenet story has more of a twist than this. I think I might actually have become even more cynical than I was before
Thank You mindcontrolmediaconglomerate!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
IMO it is a wolf/dog mix and it is a bit sinister looking.

All opinions aside, it is an interesting animal. Also, if anyone payed attention it's the second one. There was another animal killed in the same area a few years or so ago. That was actually the one DNA tested.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by jbondo]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
To me it just looks like a dead dog. And that is what it is.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Poor creature, whatever it is. It certainly looks strange, but I agree it certainly looks more like some sort of strange hybrid.

By the way, do they have wolves in Maine? I thought wolves were killed off in just about every American state except Minnesota and Alaska.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Skadi I think this will answer your question, and it once again seems to enforce the dog/wolf hybrid theory. A lone male/female wolf might just breed with a dog seeing as how there wouldn’t be many other wolves in Maine. And BTW wolves have been successfully reintroduced in several continental US sates. However northern states may have a very low population because some may cross over from Canada.

The wolf is a wildlife species that once occurred in Maine, and this large predator may naturally recolonize the State’s forestlands in the future. There are stable, but low density populations of wolves in the Laurentides region of Quebec, Canada, north of the St. Lawrence Seaway, within 75 miles of Maine’s northwestern border. The Seaway and surrounding densely settled agricultural lands may be substantial barriers between present wolf populations and Maine that may limit the ability of wolves to immigrate in enough numbers to successfully breed in Maine.

Currently, no packs of wolves are known in Maine. Solitary wolves may occasionally wander into the State, but probably have little chance of locating mates and reproducing. The Department continues to receive occasional reports of wolf sightings, and a gray wolf was killed in northwestern Maine in 1993, although its origin is questionable. Another large canid was trapped in eastern Maine in October, 1996. Based on laboratory tests and field observation, the Department concluded that it was a wolf-like canid living in the wild. However, the laboratory tests were not able to differentiate whether the animal was a wolf or a wolf-dog hybrid.

Link

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, Westpoint.

I knew they are re-introducing wolves in a few states, like Washington, Wyoming, and Colorado.

It makes more sense now, that the creature is a hybrid. Looks different from the hybrids Im used to, but thats probably because its a different speicies of dog.

For example, in Washington and Alaska, alot of the wolf/dog hybrids are a result of timberwolves mating with huskies.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Go to the link and look at the other picture, it looks like a dog to me too, perhaps some cross breed, but definitely not a werewolf or the beast from hell, some people, I swear.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

No WestPoint your wrong, it is in fact a Hell Hound and is a sign of the end times!!!

Looks like a freaking ugly dog though, we should find what the cross bread is so that we can put laws in place to prevent such ugly animals form being sired!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just to add the Mexican wolf has been reintroduced in Arizona and the Red wolf in North Carolina as well as the Gray wolf in southwestern Idaho. I say bring back the wolf, hysteria is ridicules!

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Seems pretty obvious.

It's a wolf/chow/Johnny Damon hybrid. I'm sure.

Maybe.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
Anybody else wonder why the fur is kinda... bluish? It may just be the camera's lighting. Furthurmore, the face has an almost human expression on it. This probably sparked the whole "werewolf" debate over the corpse, but one thing's certain, its not a normal canine. Must be some kind of crossbreed.

yeah the eyes did look a little umm abnormal?it kind of has some like blank stare but like it was focused on something

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join