It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernatural Abilities and God-given gifts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The focus of most paranormal studies is on the outcome, that is the ability and its real or imagined evidence. Watching "Psychic Children" on tv, some thoughts arose that I'd like some input on preferably by other believers, but if you don't believe in the God of the Bible, feel free anyway.

The gifts spoken of in the Bible are miracles, healings, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, prophecy, faith, helps, administration, speaking in an unknown tongue, interpretation of tongues, discerning of spirits (1 Cor 12:8-10).

My point is this: These abilities are clearly supernatural, since they are given by the Spirit, and are not 'natural' to all men.

I know of no clear teaching on what each of these gifts mean, how they manifest, what it is that causes them to manifest, and so on, BUT it does seem clear that, for instance, miracles and prophecy would appear to be paranormal events to non-believers.

I'm wondering if many so-called paranormal gifts, like psychic ability, for instance, wouldn't be what is called the gift of prophecy, word of wisdom, or word of knowledge.

As for "remote viewing", visions would certainly seem to qualify as such. For instance, I've read in Revelation that John was "in the Spirit" and saw many things in heaven and on earth.

As for 'miracles', Peter was the first fully human to walk on water. Criss Angel is a mimick. But if Peter could do it, other humans who believe in Jesus should be able to do it, it would seem. As well as laying hands on the sick and seeing them recover, and raising the dead, and so on.

So are the 'psychics' and 'remote viewers' also gifted? What if they are not believers? Or are their gifts mimics of the Spirit given gifts?

I'm going to be bold enough to say that I've both remote viewed in visions and had what I'm seeing confirmed at the time, or in one case, later, and had prophecy given me both for future, and in the sense of speaking for God in the moment; as well as had information about people 'come to me' from the Spirit as I'm praying or talking to them. None of these abilities operate all the time, nor do they operate in exactly the same way each time, but when they are in operation, it is clear to me that the Spirit is working them through me.

Many other Christians have had similar happenings in their lives.

I think that the reason the world at large is seeing the paranormal happenings more frequently is because it is one of the enemy of our souls tactics for undermining in advance the supernatural workings of God.

The manifestation of the Sons of God spoken of in Romans 8:19 must soon occur, I believe. And then there will be some serious shakeups in what we call normal life!

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm Christian and have these expeirences.
I am careful here, as I don't want to add or subtract any words from the Good Book - and I don't want this post to take me 3 hours (work in the morning).

But spiritual gifts were spoken of and were, yes. But it also says they will stop. Then it says they will start again in end times. (please study for yourself, as this is my opinion, and I need to study much much more before I can give a decent account for what the Bible tells us).

I see alot of these things as simply the way we are, intuitive and sensative. Technology grew and our senses dulled.

But even a God fearing person that tries very hard to do the right thing and live as God wants us too ... still they can be fooled, tricked, tempted and lead into things and places we don't belong. I'm sure the devil has no problem using any trick (and 'gifts') as weapons to bring God's children into his own domain.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
HI, Angela,

I'm sorry top be so long in responding. I've moved my original post to another thread where I'm hoping people will respond better. I didn't move yours but if you'd like to make your point over there the link is:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think your post and your points are well worth the effort if you'd care to make it.

Thanks,

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Please feel free to copy/paist/quote my post to the other thread :-)

Hopefully I'll find it and take a look.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
Please feel free to copy/paist/quote my post to the other thread :-)

Hopefully I'll find it and take a look.

It is reposted and your permission and request noted

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This thread is ended and these posts have been reposted at

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join