It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked details some suspects not facing serious charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
John Prescott (The Bumbling deputy prime minister in the UK) has 'let slip' that some of the suspects detained in the current alleged terror plot will not be facing serious charges.

Link (To Daily Telegraph, UK Newspaper)

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2006/08/16/nterror216.xml

Police must apply for extensions today under current legislation if they wish to detain the suspects further.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I heard something about this.

Boils down to: To be arrested for terrorism in UK, there has to be a lot of evidence. Now they're saying there's not enough evidence.

[EDit due to kbd buff flush routine causing prob.'s]

Shouldn't they have to go through a trial or something before being released? Just to know.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by bothered]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Well today is the day the police have to apply for an extension to detain them further. I believe this is closed / secret session (not open court) but lawyers still need to present evidence to a judge for the extension to be made. If some are not facing 'serious charges' or charges not related to the terrorism act then they may well be released with no charge or on bail or possibly even re-arrested for whatever the lesser charges are.

Although they have all been arrested none of them have actually as yet been charged with any crime. So yes you can be arrested and then released without charge it all laregly depends on whether the crown prosecution service believes a conviction is likely based upon the evidence. At least that's how it normally works but where terrorism is involved I think they have ways of holding onto you if they really want to.

new topics

join