It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed reveals UAV plans & concepts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Skunkworks has been busy...A month ago they unveiled their Polecat UAV...and now there showing off there future plans.

Skunk Works – has developed concepts for both optionally piloted and dedicated unmanned versions of the F-35. The unmanned version has extra fuel in place of the cockpit.

The company has also developed an operating concept in which two manned F-35s or F-22s would control four unmanned JSFs via an airborne internet. This would allow the unmanned aircraft to carry weapons, but not sensors, making them lower cost. Mauro expects the US forces to start becoming interested in unmanned operations once all three manned variants of the F-35 have flown.

The Skunk Works, meanwhile, has applied lift fan technology from the JSF to its design for the Various VTOL UAV. Capable of operating from ships, the vehicle has lift fans in the wing for powered lift and a ducted fan in the fuselage for propulsion. Mauro says Lockheed is deciding whether to build a Various demonstrator.

I think its a smart move to offer a Unmanned option for the F-35...that will definitely help in sales.
I hope they decide to build the "Various" VTOL UAV...that one I'd like to see.

Also...This is a link to a new Morphing UAV...which has relevance to this topic.
Fast Morphing UAV

Lockheed Martin reveals plans for unmanned F-35 JSF among other new UAV concepts

[edit on 16-8-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Skunkworks has been busy...A month ago they unveiled their Polecat UAV...and now there showing off there future plans.

The Skunk Works, meanwhile, has applied lift fan technology from the JSF to its design for the Various VTOL UAV. Capable of operating from ships, the vehicle has lift fans in the wing for powered lift and a ducted fan in the fuselage for propulsion. Mauro says Lockheed is deciding whether to build a Various demonstrator.

Here's a conceptual drawing of how the VTOL UAV with liftfans in the wing may possibly look...

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Also, regarding the article entitled, "Lockheed Martin reveals plans for unmanned F-35 JSF among other new UAV concepts " in Flight International Magazine - one thing that article does not point out is Lockheed's intention of using the F-117's as UCAV's as they are decomissioned.
That is not something that has to wait for technical development to be ready, the tech is ready now and can be made to happen as F-117's become available.

[edit on 8-16-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If that’s what it would look like...then I really hope they build it...But maybe a reason the haven’t yet is because it could affect the sales of the F-35.(?)

I think its a good idea to make the F-117's UCAVS, given there small payload capacity, its likely the only thing that could keep them running for years to come.

I think Lockheed as been nervous about showing off & building and Unmanned systems because of the whole F-35 project...its a huge deal for them, bunch of countries and a lot of planes.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I think the un-manned f-35's will go rogue like eddy from stealth, and then we will all be like "oh no Eddy's coming!!".

lol couldnt resist, but i really like the whole idea of controlling them from a seperate aircraft, sounds awesome

[edit on 17-8-2006 by spurri]

top topics

join