It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sermon/devotion #1 Gatorade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This is one devotion I have made, it is about Jesus and being able to quench someones thirst in life, this is fully subjective and a belief of mine. I am fully open to any other thing or truth, this is just what I have found, felt, seen and lives through.

Peace

Gatorade got nothing on Jesus

(John 4:1-13, 7:35-38)
1The Pharisees heard that Jesus was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John, 2although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples. 3When the Lord learned of this, he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee. 4Now he had to go through Samaria. 5So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour.
7When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" 8(His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) 9The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.[a]) 10Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." 11"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?" 13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

(John 7:35 -39)
The Jews said to one another, "Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks? 36What did he mean when he said, 'You will look for me, but you will not find me,' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?"
37On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as[c] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Historical analysis
The book of John is assumed to be written by John the Apostle. The book doesn’t refer to John directly, but it does refer to all the other apostles and Christ. The book is believed to be written in Ephesus between A.D. 85-90. The book of John was written mainly about Christ and His place here on earth as King of all kings.
The book covers most of Christ’s’ life and to His death. The book referred to Jesus as God to be the word and the word was God. The book was written in the simplest form of Greek, for all to understand Christians and non-Christians the very basic and truth about Jesus and the truth of who is as life for all the earth.

Concerning God
In theses passages John writes of Jesus talking about water and the meaning of Him to the entire world. This is probably the most important passages Christ ever speaks to all the people. It was very simple and easy to comprehend, Jesus used water knowing it was the main life source for all life on earth but saying more on that Christ was the water for all to be filled and saved by Him. In the passage of the women at the well, Jesus explains of the living within in Him that will never run dry and will always keep your thirst quenched. Here Jesus tells the woman that His living is free and anyone who asks Him for it shall have it. As that who ever believes in Christ is for free and does not cost them a thing. In John 4:13 Jesus again says that if you drink of His water you shall never thirst again. Once you have know of Jesus and His saving power you will know true fulfillment that the earth will never give you and will never succeed in any way to satisfy our longing thirst for the one and only Christ Jesus.
In the 7th chapter of John Christ shows Himself more awesome and fulfilling. Jesus is at the supper and in verse 37 Jesus invites all to Him that whoever is thirsting for a need to be filled up that the need is for Him and He invites all to come and be filled with Him. Jesus gives the invitation to be saved as He says “whosoever believeth on me as scripture says will have flowing rivers of water out of him.” This showing symbolism as whosoever believes in Christ he will never thirst again because of the continuous flow of water (Jesus Christ).

Central Message
The world is so full of many ways to be tricked into being filled, the world throws so many believable possibilities for long lasting satisfaction but there is only one thirst quencher. The only true fulfillment and lasting satisfaction can only be found in Christ with His love to save us all. We all can find ourselves full with Him so that we never thirst for anything else, but the only way to be filled with Christ is to believe upon Him and trust Him to fill you up when you call upon Him.

Identification and Implementation
How can I prove this to be true on my account? First look at this world and try and see all the ways we as sinners are tricked and deceived by the devil to only hurt us and only bring brief satisfaction to our bodies and minds. The satisfaction the world offers is nothing compared to what Jesus offers, the world sets us up in so many places that we just take it knowing it won’t be so bad but it is. With the desire for money, sex, power, and the controlling effects of drugs fulfillment never lasts it only will cause us to be destroyed without even seeing it happen. When it comes down to Jesus He is free to be saved is a gift and we never have to pay for it, Jesus has already done that on the cross. All the world offers is expensive it will always cost something; you have heard it said “nothings free in this world” well its true nothing ever is except for Christ. It’s like every time you take a chance with worldly desires it would be as if you are swimming in a pool, with sex the pool is filled with motor oil, black, disgusting, bad smelling motor oil, to some people that might be fun at the time but when you get out, you feel all icky, terrible, slimy and now you just smell like it. With money and power the two go together you cant have one with out the other, just take that pool now and put regular water in it, but the water is a whirl pool, slowly you swim and slowly you are being sucked in, your world is turned around and all you see is you and your power, your money fuels your tyranny and sooner or later your destroyed being sucked into the monster you have become. Then drugs come into our lives, the world gives it to us like candy but its only what we think is going to satisfy us kills us, just like your in that pool again but its full of piranhas eating you away till your destroyed, drugs deceive us into thinking that we will filled with the fake thought of being cool or experiencing a hi. The world is full of lies and the world doesn’t care how you end up. Jesus does, and He doesn’t want us to be hurt or destroyed, He loves every one of us and he knows that if we want true fulfillment we can only find it in Him. In this world I never find full satisfaction either if its with y football or just sports in general or even with deep relationships with people, yes these help me become a better person but Jesus is the only thirst quencher, the only one who for me has filled me and has me coming back to Him for more everyday, I believe on Him and I know He paid for my salvation and I don’t even deserve it, and everyday I seek to be filled by Christ in the Word and seeking Him in life with nature and Godly people that surround me everyday. Jesus is real He has saved me and He has kept me filled and never dry, I know I have to have Jesus in my life 24/7 cause the second I think I don’t Him or if I think ill find it better on the other side I end up as nothing and feeling more worse than ever. Jesus is it there is no one or nothing else that can substitute Jesus is in my life my soul and my body keeping me filled and fully satisfied forever.

[edit on 15-8-2006 by ragster]

new topics

join