It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are new videogames so boring...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 07:48 AM
link   
(perhaps I should have posted this in the rant forum)

Call me old fashioned (spoiled perhaps), but I find most new games extremely boring.
I have all the new games you can think of, from GTA VC to Halo, but they simply bore me.

I usually play them twice and then never look at them again.
A friend of mine recenty gave me "Halo", damn what a lame game, it looks like a 1997 video game, the graphics totally suck. THe game itself is not very origional, and slow.

Splinter Cell; SAME STORY!
I almost fell asleep when I first played. Don't get me wrong, the graphics are awesome, but the gameplay itself is so incredibly slow.

I remember the good old days, when I used to spend whole days on videogames on my Commodore 64.

Te only games I play often, and that I do enjoy playing are Vietcong and Diablo II.
However I only play the online multiplayer version of Vietcong, the game itself is also boring.

Can anyone recommend me a fast, origional, action game that IS worth to waste time on, or should I try to get my hands on a Commodore 64 again

[Edited on 1-11-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I know what you mean... I used to love my Commodore 64! I still have it somewhere but it's busted. Can't seem to get my hands on another one

Um... Fast games to recommend... Burnout 2 is pretty fast. Though can get boring after a while. Would suggest borrowing or renting it first.

I used to love Micro Machine, that was a good game. They have brought out a new version on XBOX and PS2 I think, not played it though. But it's Micro Machines, so muct be pretty good.

Timesplitters 2 is fun... Loads of modes! But I think it's more of a multiplayer game, in terms of staying power.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm really bored with my video games too. I can't remember the alst time I touched my Playstation 1 or my N64, which by the way, are my only game consoles besides my computer. I still haven't beat any of my Final Fantasies for playsation, but since prices are low now, I'll invest in a gameshark someday.

I'm getting bored with the games on my computer too. I used to love playing Flight Simulator, Team Fortress, The Sims, Age of Empires for hours on end, but now when I boot them up, the joy of them has gone. Maybe we've played these sort of games too much, so it's not much of a challenge anymore.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i know EXACTLY what u mean u go into a game shop nowawadys and all the games r the same all the time nothing new and original comes out. its just not the same. i remember when i was waiting eagerly for sonic 2 to come out

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know just what you mean.

I have so many games I've bought and only played for a few days.

I guess it's a lack of originality

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe you guys just buy the wrong video games... I just bought ssx 3 and it freaking ROCKS!

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Perhaps looking into import games from Japan would be a way to discover some new and interesting titles, of course you also have to get a console thats capable of plaing them (no thanks to the morons who thought Region Encoding was a good idea) Alot of games that start out being developed in Japan never make it to the rest of the world because they dont fit the mold of what sells. You also might take interest in using the Dreamcast to emulate older systems like NES and SNES, and as an added bonus you can get DC units cheap because Sega no longer supports it and only develops games now.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think the main reason the majority of games suck these days is developers somehow got the idea that good graphics automatically make a good game. Therefore they concentrate on graphics and only graphics, leaving you with horrible gameplay. I know I have rented quite a few games that were supposed to be hot #, only to find out they were just eye candy, with horrible, boring, repetitive, no plot, gameplay.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
EWom > yeah, it seems like the videogame industry is following in the footsteps of the music industry in focusing on quantity and not quality. Actually one recent game I was impressed with based on a innovative feature was Red Faction and the Geo-Mod technology they created for it. Also Doom 3 is supposed to have some kind of scent feature where creatures can track you based on your scent, but I'm not too sure how thats going to turn out. If programmers worked more on putting new and innovative features in their games, better story lines, and improved gameplay, some of the disillusioned might come back.

Also a interesting study was done recently that claims videogames are responsible for poor tv ratings lately, though I lost the link to the article

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yea I do agree with that... It seems game developers seem to care more about graphics.

Red Faction was a good game... Also I feel another good game that started something new in a game was Max Payne - with the "bullet time" feature, where you can pull off Matrix style moves.

The only problem with Bullet Time now is that so many games are copying it!

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I love sweet graphics, but they DO NOT make the game, you must have a great concept, as well for it to work.

And any game that feels like it's a chore (/cough mmogs /cough) to play sucks fat ass.

In MMOGs needs to be more REWARD over time.

You can play a single player rpg and become nearly a god with your chr

But honestly there hasn't been any GREAT games in a long time...

I see new games coming which look very promosing.
I think 2004 will be a good year for gamers.

Atleast I hope.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Also Doom 3 is supposed to have some kind of scent feature where creatures can track you based on your scent, but I'm not too sure how thats going to turn out.

They are just giving "rubber band" technology a new name.

It's kind of like your character is attached to millions of rubber bands and each badie is on the end, and your rubber bands are pulling them to you. So the CPU isn't tracking you really like they claim, it is b-lining right for you.. now they may have added scripts onto that so that after you pass a place you leave your "trail" and any roaming mob (on a predetermined path of course) will know you were there, become hooked up to your rubber band and b-line for you. I always hated that "technology" it's used in alot of different genres.

The most annoying is of course racing games... many are scripted so that if you get too far ahead of the CPU players then they are attached to your rubber band, and are pulled right up to you. (an easy example is Mario Kart 64). Then once they are caught up (and 99% of the time once they are rubber banding you they pass you in racing games) they stop being pulled to you.

As for recent fun games.. I really liked Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus for the PS2. It's a platformer cel-shaded ( I know that is clich� now, but they did it really well, and IMO set the standard for what a C-Shaded game should be). I really have not had one boring moment in this game so far. I like the plot, I like the gameplay and all the special moves you unlock. I like the varrying boss battles, I like the mini-games. Just gaming goodness in my opinion. And now that it is only 20 bucks I suggest everyone get it.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Games like GTA series (not the 1, 2 and London..) SUCK!!!

These GTA 3 and GTA VC are mindless bottom hole games..

With no real purpose what so ever..

There are still some good new games..

But the trend is that the quality is going down..

Violence and 'action' up..

No more quality, quantity is what is the future..

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Preach on Brother!!!

Sadly, most modern console games jsut don't do jack for me. That's why I'm so heavy into Emulation. 6 gigs of classic arcade and video game roms, and I can play them anytime I want to.

I honestly play my NES and Genesis Emulators more then I do my Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead
Yea I do agree with that... It seems game developers seem to care more about graphics.

Red Faction was a good game... Also I feel another good game that started something new in a game was Max Payne - with the "bullet time" feature, where you can pull off Matrix style moves.

The only problem with Bullet Time now is that so many games are copying it!

I would agree. Many games are just boring---or the novelty just wears off. I do recommend Red Faction. That is the best game I ever played.

Haven't finished it--even tho I'm right near the end because where I saved I had barely any armor, running out of ammo, and maybe 2 rounds on the rail driver. Plus, I have 30 seconds to get out of the base beofre it blows and the bad guys were coming fully armed---with rail drivers.

There is no hope and I don't know any cheat codes to save me.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kai-Raega
Preach on Brother!!!

Sadly, most modern console games jsut don't do jack for me. That's why I'm so heavy into Emulation. 6 gigs of classic arcade and video game roms, and I can play them anytime I want to.

I honestly play my NES and Genesis Emulators more then I do my Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube.

Me too. Just the other day I took my modded xbox to my brother-in-laws to play him at something. Played Halo, Unreal Tournement and a few others. But nothing really took our fancy.

But then I asked him if he remembred any old arcade games from the 80's/90's, and showed him MAME with all the ROMS I had.

We started looking for a football (soccer) game and thought we had one (it was called world stadium) loaded it up and went to play it, then saw that it was a baseball game (which we both hate).

But the gameplay was so good we just kept playing it for a good couple of hours.

So for me in the 8 bit Vs 16 Bit Vs 32 Bit Vs 64 Bit, etc the simble 8-bit or 16-bit game was everytime.

PS. Did anybody ever have an Atari ST and a game called Hunter. Now thats the best game ever on the best Home computer ever. It blows the # out of the Amiga

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You mention graphics being an issue, some places it's an applicable argument, but don't get me started on graphics wh@res
hoping that @ prevents masking... I think the problem is...

-well focus on graphics too much "Wow we can cram 18,000,000 polygons into this character's left testicle and it's not even shown!" Work the story, draw concepts, do graphics the best you can, use a lot of skinning and bump mapping, or at least base the game around concept not graphics
-lack of pickup games, I used to go to Block Buster with my brother and we'd just pick up a Super Nintendo game based on the cover art and "back of the box" (always said "well look at da bagguhduhbox"). That's one part of the "pickup" but now days games are too in depth and require too much involvement and commitment. Pick up a good old Super Mario, beat a level, go to the dentist, eat pie, come back to the game a few days later, beat some more levels. See also "lack of linear gameplay"
-too many sequels! 8 different companies making a new basketball game every year... ok I'm obviously not a sports fan, yes, there are graphics and player updates
-alienation of adult/ older gamers by their former leader, Nintendo. Personally, I *accidentally* bought a Gamecube, let me tell you... I've bought 2 games on my own, got one free "bonus" and 2 for Christmas, though it's been a year. AND I haven't played it since early summer and don't plan to. Sure, a happy smiley sun would be nice, or a talking chipmunk... but ... no. Remember those "cool" "adult" games on Super Nintendo (no, tear, I never had a regular nintendo...) ... like ... ok crap I can't name one, but the ones that were fun to play and adult-oriented (like shooting scrollers and stuff) and children could play if they wanted to.

Anyway, a big worthless post, most video games have gone down the hell hole, personally I enjoy GTAs and Halo, but right most are crap. Better ones are starting to come out, clearing out the riffraff. But you know, once the next generation comes out, 2-3 years, they stupid cylce of crap will start again, takes too much Metamucil, so regular... ha... ha... get it... ? ya... OK I'M FRIGGIN DONE

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Maybe you should buy different kind of games, since you like diablo, maybe games that involve strategy, I love Diablo ii lod, and Halo. Halo is only good the first couple times through, then its straight multiplayer, you need alot of people to have fun with that.

btw, Lysergic AWESOME avatar. Love it.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I buy all the games. They all suck.

Simpsons car driving vice city clone - boring
HALO - boring
Call of Duty - ok, but boring.
Unreal 2 - boring
Project IGI2 - boring.

The best game at the moment in my opinion is playing Battlefield - Secret weapons on a LAN with a small group of friends. Nothing comes close, imo.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
They are getting boring for me..I usually play shooters like CS and SOCOM for ps2 and PC..I used to be into em so heavily (ya know, clans, ladders, tourneys, etc)..but now I find myself dragged back to the good ol' ssx / melee/ mario type games...

Shooters: Violence, mayhem, repetitive boringness

Fast paced games: Addictive, non violent (sometimes), and you can play whenever you get the urge..I gotta start making a list of games now
bye...

-wD

new topics

top topics

join