It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange New worlds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
When I found this I thought WOW.

Called ‘planemos’, the first set of ‘twins’ discovered blurs the boundaries between planets and stars

A PAIR of strange new worlds that blur the boundaries between planets and stars have been discovered beyond our solar system. A few dozen such objects have been identified in recent years but this is the first set of “twins”. Dubbed “planemos”, they circle each other rather than orbiting a star and their existence challenges current theories about the formation of planets and stars.

www.thestatesman.net...

It could explain all those myths about a planet that is to fly past us someday. I always thought that they were just myths, but this has got me thinking other wise.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
That is pretty cool. While the first pair that orbits each other, they're not the first planets to be found in open space. To my knowledge, two or three have been discovered. Of course, there is debate as to whether they're brown dwarfs with planetary disks or planets with dense ring systems.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
spider.ipac.caltech.edu...

Another odd find and if anyone has more up to date information please pass it along!

Original....

pqasb.pqarchiver.com...
658362:127658362&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&fmac=&date=Dec+30%2C+1983&author=
By+Thomas+O%27Toole+Washington+Post+Staff+Writer&desc=Mystery+Heavenly+
Body+Discovered

And then for further research which i just do not have time for at the moment...

www.geocities.com...

Stellar

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Two exoplanets orbiting each other?

Well that's what happens sometimes when no star is born in a large pile of star dust.

Think of how this solar system would be like if there was no Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune and all the matter that would be used to create them was gobbled up by Jupiter. We could possibly then have a small brown dwarf oribiting about our star.

top topics

join