It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Close The Blinds?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
DO YOU CLOSE THE BLINDS

The other day, my nine-year-old son wanted to know why we were at war. My husband looked at our son and then looked at me. My husband and I were in the Army during the Gulf War and we would be honored to serve and defend our country again today. I knew that my husband would give him a good explanation. My husband thought for a few minutes and then told my son to go stand in our front living room window.

He said, "Son, stand there and tell me what you see."

"I see trees and cars and our neighbors' houses," he replied.

"Okay, now I want you to pretend that our house and our yard is the United States of America and you are President Bush."

Our son giggled and said, "Okay."

"Now son, I want you to look out the window and pretend that every house and yard on this block is a different country," my husband said.

"Okay, Dad, I'm pretending."

"Now I want you to stand there and look out the window and pretend you see Saddam come out of his house with his wife, he has her by the hair and is hitting her. You see her bleeding and crying. He hits her in the face, he throws her on the ground, then he starts to kick her to death. Their children run out and are afraid to stop him. They are screaming and crying, they are watching this but do nothing because they are kids and they are afraid of their father. You see all of this, son... what do you do?"

"Dad?"

"What do you do son?"

"I'd call the police, Dad."

"Okay. Pretend that the police are the United Nations. They take your call. They listen to what you know and saw but they refuse to help. What do you do then son?"

"Dad... but the police are supposed to help!" My son started to whine.

"They don't want to son, because they say that it is not their place or your place to get involved and that you should stay out of it," my husband said.

"But Dad... he killed her!" my son exclaimed.

"I know he did, but the police tell you to stay out of it. Now I want you to look out that window and pretend you see our neighbor, who you're pretending is Saddam, turn around and do the same thing to his children."

"Daddy... he kills them?"

"Yes son, he does. What do you do?"

"Well, if the police don't want to help, I will go and ask my next-door neighbor to help me stop him," our son said.

"Son, our next-door neighbor sees what is happening and refuses to get involved as well. He refuses to open the door and help you stop him," my husband said.

"But Dad, I NEED help! I can't stop him by myself!"

"WHAT DO YOU DO SON?"

Our son started to cry.

"Okay, no one wants to help you. The man across the street saw you ask for help and saw that no one would help you stop him. He stands taller and puffs out his chest. Guess what he does next son?"

"What Daddy?"

"He walks across the street to the old lady’s house and breaks down her door and drags her out, steals all her stuff and sets her house on fire and then... he kills her. He turns around and sees you standing in the window and laughs at you. WHAT DO YOU DO?"

"Daddy..."

"WHAT DO YOU DO?"

Our son was crying, and he looked down and whispered, "I'd close the blinds, Daddy."

My husband looked at our son with tears in his eyes and asked him. "Why?"

"Because Daddy, the police are supposed to help people who need them and they won't help. You always say that neighbors are supposed to HELP neighbors, but they won't help either. They won't help me stop him. I'm afraid. I can't do it by myself, Daddy. I can't look out my window and just watch him do all these terrible things and do nothing, so I'm just going to close the blinds so I can't see what he's doing, and I'm going to pretend that it is not happening."

I started to cry. My husband looked at our nine-year-old son standing in the window, looking pitiful and ashamed at his answers to my husband's questions and he says, "Son."

"Yes, Daddy."

"Open the blinds because that man is at your front door. WHAT DO YOU DO?"

My son looked at his father, anger and defiance in his eyes. He balled up his tiny fists and looked his father square in the eyes. Without hesitation, he said: "I DEFEND MY FAMILY, DAD!! I'M NOT GONNA LET HIM HURT MOMMY OR MY SISTER, DAD!!! I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM, DAD, I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM!!!!!"

I saw a tear roll down my husband's cheek, and he grabbed our son to his chest and hugged him tight and said; "It's too late to fight him; he's too strong and he's already at YOUR front door, son. You should have stopped him BEFORE he killed his wife and his children and the old lady across the way. You have to do what's right, even if you have to do it alone, before it’s too late. That scenario I just gave you is why we are at war with Iraq. When good men stand by and let evil happen, son, THAT is the greatest evil. All the atrocities in the world won't move them. YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE! BE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! BE PROUD OF OUR TROOPS! SUPPORT THEM! SUPPORT AMERICA SO THAT IN THE FUTURE OUR CHILDREN WILL NEVER HAVE TO CLOSE THEIR BLINDS."

Semper

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
That's a wonderful analogy, semperfortis, I certainly share that perspective and am ever grateful to those that choose to serve this country with their lives.

Though I personally prefer to keep politics out of my personal life, which is odd since everyone else I know is always bringing up the subject. I can only say that I will continue to support U.S. efforts to bring democracy into the middle-east and am hopeful in our attempts to suppress terrorism throughout the world by attacking it at its source.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
That was the most beautiful story I have read in a long time.

I come from a military family myself (not enlisted - ineligable for service), and am always disappointed to try and explain my position to throngs of civilians who are convinced that because they are not called upon for that sort of duty that such things are not needed.

So many people seem to be against conflict of this nature because they have never been called upon to confront it face to face.

I agree that violence is a terrible thing, and war as well - but there is never a good time to stand back in the face of atrocities and wait for someone else to handle matters.

A "drawing of the blinds" happens so frequently in our society that it is causing our value system to suffer immeasurably in certain arenas.

Thank you for the story - I hope you don't mind if I quote you to friends and family, and any others who may try and broach the subject with me again.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thank you both.

This was an anonymous post that I found floating around the email circuit, so feel free to quote it when ever you like.

It really does say a lot though, doesn't it?

Semper

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Does anyone smell Propaganda?
We have our very own OJ here and we closed the blinds, didn't we?
Just because someone says it doesn't make it true and maybe Superman or Batman could help.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This lovely analogy forgot a few things.

After going out and attacking, we then go into his house and loot all his valuables and goodies, and let our best friends come in and get some choice picks.

After arriving to stop Saddam, we find his kids do not want us there and start throwing greanades at us.

When we are in saddams house, we attempt to impose a new set of house rules that the kids have absolutely no intention of adopting, because they have their own way of doing things.

Oh yeah, figuratively speaking, Saddam never came to our front door. or even our neighbors. Hell, the anaology isnt correct either, geographically speaking, saddam lived several blocks down from us. The only way we could have seen Saddam kicking his wife is if we were in his neighborhhod watching.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yeah, that little father-son talk never happened.

Anyway, if Saddam's kids don't want to respect me after I saved their asses, I'll treat them the way their father treated them. If all they respect is fear and suffering, then fine. I have plenty of cans to go around.

On another note, the kid in that story was a pussy. Waahh! I need help!!! Any normal kid would have said he'd ask G.I. Joe or some kind of superhero to help him and then he'd go kick some ass.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Was that a story or a real event in your family...

If it was a story.. pure propaganda to use other peoples emotions for a 9yr old in a bad situation to produce anger at the man across the street, in a subconscious way forming hate to Saddam.

If it was a real event in your family.. that is the absolute worst way to tell your son about why we are at war, and for all the wrong reasons! since you fought in Gulf 1 you would know that if we truly did want to stop Saddam we would have then. In a since, you are no better then the people on the block watching the neighbor beat his family.

I am sorry, but your story disgust me.

Edit to add this sounds like those propaganda e-mails that you forward for good luck.

[edit on 8/15/2006 by Rockpuck]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That piece is well written and achieves exactly what it is designed for.....what is the phrase I'm looking for?........oh yeah, jingoism: zealous patriotism expressing itself especially in hostility toward other countries, bellicose chauvinism.

I agree with Skadi, after attacking we let our buddies setup shop in the neighbor's basement, charging outlandish fees to repair the damage done in the initial carnage.

Meanwhile, we ignore the residents of the next block, who attacked and slaughtered another entire block simply because their doors were painted the wrong color.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think Ill "just close the blinds" on insipid, banal, transparent pandering to the ideologically challenged.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As a story, it's a tear-jerker.

If my child was 4, maybe I'd explain it that general way. But I'd rather opt for the truth, like I did with my brother.

He was 10 or 11 when 9/11 happened. Try explaining to a now 14 year old genius (not joking about the genius part) why many in this country beleive we can't pull out, why many think we shouldn't be there in the first place, and hust what the hell's going on, in general.

Then he gets a hold of stories like this from the right, and Teen Idols from the left and has both of them crammed down his throat. He knows he's not old enough to have a real voice in the outcome, and he enjoy not having that responisbility yet, but he sees that time ending soon (register for the draft in a few years, and start voting, maybe choose a political party), and he doesn't like much of what he sees from most parties. He sees 2 major parties do nothing but screw up and wonders how his parents and siblings could declare themselves to be a part of the Republican Party, specifically dealing with this war. He was satisfied with my explanation...but this story would have pissed him off.

(As I am his sibling, and least proned to dominate any conversation, he finds it easier to ask me the hard questions. He should ask his mum, since she's the most patient...and honestly, the most liberal, though a Republican.)

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the brainwashing how-to lesson.

I'll write that down in case I have any mindless followers to convince.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
What utter bull#. You should be ashamed of yourself for not seeing anything wrong with this crap.

I'd say the same even if I fully supported the war. Get a grip!

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with the story, it's perfectly reasonable to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
"What's going on daddy?"

"Well son, you see that crazy man running up and down the street?"

"Yeah dad, can't miss him."

"Well, he's running around telling everybody there's a bully living on the next block that's out to get him. That he's got a big gun and is coming for him right now. He's asking for our help. "

"Why us daddy?"

"Because he says the police didn't help him."

"Why not?"

"Well son the police did take his call and were quite concerned at the allegations so they sent some people to check it out. They found that the supposed bully was actually a poor sickly guy from a bad neighbourhood with lots of crime. They had a look around and found that he was not a threat. The police spoke to his neighbours and even they said he was not a threat. So the police concluded that the crazy man was just making it up. some of the crazy man's neighbours also called the police out of concern and they were reassured that the guy from the poor neighbourhood was no threat. They tried to explain this all to the crazy man."

"So why is the crazy man still running around telling everybody this sickly guy is out to get him?"

"Well it's a bad neighbourhood over there and apparently, the crazy man and this guy have had some dealings and have a long history of deceit toward each other. Now they hate each other. The crazy man just want's him whacked so he can take the sickly guy's valuables."

"Dad?"

"Yes son?"

"The crazy man that's running down the street towards the next block....

"yeah"...

"that looks like... is it?... Uncle Sam?"

"Yes son, it's Sam from next door.

Sam's not what he used to be. He was pretty sharp once, but now he just spends his time behind the blinds filled with paranoid fear and suspicion watching the world outside. He thinks everybody is out to get him. He thinks everybody should live by his rules to make him feel safe. He tries to run the neighbourhood like you would a Mafia protection racket.

Now he's gone and killed that guy in the other neighbourhood and is going to try and run that place too."

"Dad?"

"Yeah son?"

[tears in their eyes]

"What's going to happen to Uncle Sam?"

"What do you think son?"

"A prison asylum?"

"Come on son... let's go call the police."

[edit on 8/15/2006 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the antidote

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ok, here's how the story really went...

We are walking down the street and see someone our Daddy and his Friends use to hang out with until he seized to be useful. Then they called him evil and kicked him out of the Country Club and refused to play golf with him or invite him to parties.

Now is your chance, your Daddy's friends tell you he has that 72 inch Plasma TV you wanted and if you like you can go in and take it. But first you have to get the rest of the block to agree the guy is a bad person.

You start a Block Party where you pass out flyers spreading lies about that person. You say he is dangerous, will hurt the people at the party, in fact he has an illegal machine gun in his shed and is going to use it. You then, while the others are all rallied up, break into the mans house, kill his sons, and then kidnap the man. You sit in his house saying that it is your property now because you are the Block Captain. You use his water, electricity, and when his relatives complain you kill them.

Then years later when the others on the block realize that you lied, the guy wasn't a threat to them, they turn on you. So you then buy out the local radio station and spread more propaganda, this time about everyone else on the block. Except for your parents house and your brothers house everyone hates you for the lies and propaganda you spread and the people you killed.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yeah! **** America! Don't stop bashing now!

It's well and good to say these things, but when you do nothing to try to stop it you're just as bad. You're all part of the problem.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well thanks for the story but now back to reality.

I had my nephews from Puerto Rico during the summer they are 14 and 17.

The Israel Lebanon conflict was all over the news when they were in the house.

They asked me if that was a bad thing. Because they were afraid that is was a war in the world and they could not be able to go back home.

I told them if they knew why US was at war.

This is what they responded to me.

Because Saddam killed many people in NY, and the world is ending.

I ask them who told them that,

The answer:

That is what everybody said back home

Deny Ignorance people teach our children the truth.

I was a military wife for 22 years my children were raised in military bases and attended DOD schools even in the military they always knew what was going on with the world.

It wasn't until my husband retired that we discovered how lacking Public schools were.

[edit on 15-8-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
But it touched my heart.

You have voted semperfortis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join