It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran opens cartoon exhibit of the Holocaust

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by vance
Lol, uhm, where are you from Vitchilo? I live in Florida in these United States. I am as free as free can get lol. Infact, I am sitting here in my underwear drinking a cold beer and looking at your post. The only freedom ever taken from me is by the Wife when she bitches that the yard needs mowed when I'm trying to watch sports on the weekends. Try not to take yourself so seriously lol. Why don't you get up and go down to the local market and get a six pack of some good beer. I bet that "Mean ol'e Bush" won't do anything to stop you niether. Lol, too funny

Please stop saying that we haven't lost our rights and freedoms, and go see this thread Wake up before it's too late mate!

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Update:

United Press International

TEHRAN, Sept. 15 (UPI) -- An exhibit of cartoons on the Holocaust in Tehran has attracted few Iranians spectators.

Three weeks after the works went on display, only about 50 people a day are visiting the exhibit, The Independent reports. When it first opened, the exhibit attracted fewer than 300 daily visitors.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad suggested a Holocaust cartoon contest as a response to cartoons published last year by a Danish newspaper on Mohammed, which caused an uproar in the Muslim world.

The cartoons on exhibit ranged from overtly anti-Semitic to items that compared the plight of Palestinians to Jewish victims of the Holocaust.

The Independent said few people on the street in Tehran seemed to share the president's denial of the Holocaust.

"I'm sure the Holocaust was true -- I've heard all about it from newspapers and television," a woman who said she was from a religious family told the newspaper. "I don't know why some say it didn't happen."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No need for an elaboration.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres

making fun of an event that killed thousands of jews (and gypsies etc) is very different to depicting Mohammed with a bomb on his head. It also wasn't Jews who did the Danish cartoons, if I'm not mistaken?
And not all the entrys were Iranian (though the majority probably was as this was the country of the exhibit). The display is in Iran, not always the cartoonists. One was from Indonesia (in the article). And the discription was halarious....the statue of liberty doing a Hitler slaute. I got the concept: America is the new Nazi Germany. I don't consider the point valid, though I do see where they get the idea, as so many people from diffrent countries tell me on a regular basis that America is pure Evil. I'm sure some would be offensive...but I bet not all of them are, excet for the sheer thought of making fun of a bunch of tragically dead people.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
well, for me, this little plan has backfired. The west responded with distaste, but respected the right of those to hold opinions, no matter how distasteful, but no Jews threatened the lives of muslims, no westerners put bounties on the head of Iran's leader, no mosques were burnt to the ground.

Now the pope exercises free speech, the concept Iran thought the West only applied to itself, and yet again, groups are vowing to kill 'worshippers of the cross' until there is a full retraction, chruches have been bombed and desecrated. Protestors have cursed the pope (the exact opposite of insulting mohammed), and have spat on worhsippers at Westminster Cathedral. The 'west' is angry, but yet there has been no violent response as of yet. Christians have not marched through the streets burning effigies of mullahs or imans. They haven't chopped off the heads of indonesian schoolgirls walking to their local islamic school.

Well done Mr Armanidinjad

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If anything, the west will just make more cartoons about Islam.We've delt with political and racial cartoons ever sence the printing press was developed back in the dark ages.....it's a cartoon, it can't hurt you. And, no one really cares what a cartoon says anyway if you don't agree it....GASP, you can just chuck it in the trash.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

And, no one really cares what a cartoon says anyway if you don't agree it....GASP, you can just chuck it in the trash.

Tell that to the Muslims, or the victims of their riots, their burnings, and their assaults.

I can only hope they would listen.

Semper

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Update:

Three weeks after the works went on display, only about 50 people a day are visiting the exhibit, The Independent reports. When it first opened, the exhibit attracted fewer than 300 daily visitors.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad suggested a Holocaust cartoon contest as a response to cartoons published last year by a Danish newspaper on Mohammed, which caused an uproar in the Muslim world.

The cartoons on exhibit ranged from overtly anti-Semitic to items that compared the plight of Palestinians to Jewish victims of the Holocaust.

The Independent said few people on the street in Tehran seemed to share the president's denial of the Holocaust.

To me, this article says three things. (Very debateable things.....)

1) The general population of Iran, no matter radical nor moderate, were not expecially affect by the cartoons. Thus showning that that in general, the Iranian population does not show any hatred for the Jewish population. (1% of Iran is Jewish btw) However, where were the westerners who believed that the Mohammad cartoons would be provacative to the Muslim populations? If Iranians can show such respect for just 1% of their population, cannot europeons show respect for up to 5% of their population. (Britian and France)

2) The author has not one clue as to the meaning of "semitic." If he believes that the Palestinians are being treated justly, than he should really go see for himself..... Heck, compare their areas on a map, while remeber that there are 11 million people in the Israeli Palestinian region.

3) A war of propaganda is being waged. Personally, I'd take it over a conventional one anyday......

Also, it should be mentioned that the Iranian govnerment did not actually attempt to disprove the Halocaust. He simply stated that if it were true, than the Eurpeons, the original culprits of the henious crime, should pay the consequences. Not the Palestinian people. He also said the "zionist" regime have been using the halocaust to attract international sympathy....I don't know how anyone can argue agunist that......

If 40 to one hundred thousand Americans died, (even if they were of the opposite policial spectrum) wouldn't you be angry too? Unless your like Ann Coultner.....

Okay....this I am seriously not getting this quoting thing......

[edit on 19-9-2006 by xihaoli321456] extra DIV

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
sry, internet probelms.

[edit on 19-9-2006 by xihaoli321456]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Tell that to the Muslims, or the victims of their riots, their burnings, and their assaults.

I can only hope they would listen.

I wish I could, but to be honest i am a little hesitant....what if what I said caused those same actions(riots,death,ect). When was the last time doonsbury drove a mob to do the same thing as the muslims(that participated) did in this case. I'm not sure what thier real problem is....poor education, misguided ideologies....what rational person cannot take a joke? Riots do not help me understand thier views. However, if I could see thier holocaust cartoons I might gain a new perspective on just where they are coming from.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
As long as it involves death in the cartoons it suites their mentality, I see it as their extended expression of the society they live in. Its like they are saying we rather die than live and its funny or has honour. Is that their first expression of humour, I guess it takes time for them learn what it means, no wonder it was about genocide.
but if they can do other subjects too they may learn light humour and different aspects of it in art.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join