It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ceasefire over then?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
News wires are reporting Israel and Hizbollah have opened fire on each other this morning with at least one casualty...

here we go then, I imagine that was it for the ceasefire

today.reuters.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

oops how can I move this to war in middle east anyone?

[edit on 14-8-2006 by kickoutthejams]

[edit on 14-8-2006 by kickoutthejams]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I heard about this on the radio a little while ago

I was certain the ceasefire would not hold, but three hours? Thats got to be a record. I would have expected them to be able to hold off for a bit longer than that at least.

I dont think they want this 'war' to end at all, I think they are using it as a window to get aid to the people in the south and once that is done, the fighting will continue. Especially with reports that Syria is mobilising tanks along the border...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
scratch that then, Sky news now reporting a second hizbollah shot for 'raising his weapon' by IDF forces.

How many of these events will there be today? tomorrow? Or before Hizbollah start shooting back?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
So much for the 'hope of peace' then. This will not last very long at all if Israel are just going to continue to shoot Hezbollah soldiers every time they look at the Israeli troops the wrong way.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Let's be honest here, did anyone expect this peace to actually work for more than 5 minutes? I certainly didn't. All it will take to escalate this right back up will be some peed off dirt farmer taking out his revenge against a random israeli troop and then it's full scale ops again.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
there was very little chance of the ceasefire ever lasting and i dont believe Israel ever wanted it to, Israel had flooded the area with thousands of troops just hours before the ceasefire was signed and continued to do so after the ceasefire was agreed even though Hezbollah had clearly stated that any israeli on lebanese soil would be unaceptable. It looks to me like Israel was just trying to provoke a breaking of the ceasefire and continue to inflame the situation.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Gee, what a surprise. Israel making some excuse to break a "cease fire". Israel has every reason to be cautious. They live with terror every single day, and I personally cannot imagine living that way. The Israeli people have my ultimate respect. I live less than an hour away from what used to be the World Trade Center. I go into New York several times a week, and for a LOOOONG time I was worried that something else was going to happen, and looked over my shoulder more than I care to admit. I cannot imagine having the courage to live a life where almost every day something terror related happens. However, the arrogance of the Israeli government is astounding. In the words of John Lennon "Give Peace A Chance".

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Gee, what a surprise. Israel making some excuse to break a "cease fire". Israel has every reason to be cautious. They live with terror every single day, and I personally cannot imagine living that way. The Israeli people have my ultimate respect. I live less than an hour away from what used to be the World Trade Center. I go into New York several times a week, and for a LOOOONG time I was worried that something else was going to happen, and looked over my shoulder more than I care to admit. I cannot imagine having the courage to live a life where almost every day something terror related happens. However, the arrogance of the Israeli government is astounding. In the words of John Lennon "Give Peace A Chance".

Israelis and courage?

Are you serious?

They stole the land of the natives and now beat them into submission and you are calling them couragous? for that. More like cowards should be the correct term.

Secondly you cannot compare the people in the towers attacks with attacks on Israel becuase they are 2 completly different situations. In israel every mand and women serves in the Israeli armed forces and is a fully trainned soldier becuase Israel has a active Miliattry draft so people are conscripted into the forces obviously apart from draft dodgers and certain people like pregnant women are excused from the draft.

And i think you should watch this before you make judgements about Israel palestine/lebanon conflicts if your an american. Please watch the whole video :
video.google.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
scratch that then, Sky news now reporting a second hizbollah shot for 'raising his weapon' by IDF forces.

What do you expect

Your enemy with whom you have been fighting THIS battle for over 30 days raises his weapon and approaches you, your choices are:

1)get shot and killed by the terrorists breaking the ceasefire

2)shoot the terrorists before his "RAISED" weapon can kill you

I can see the headlines now, Hezbolla terrorists approach IDF forces with weapons raised, ready to murder and were killed for it.
Bad IDF, you should just lay down and die for the nice terrorits

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx

Originally posted by lombozo

Israelis and courage?

Are you serious?

They stole the land of the natives and now beat them into submission and you are calling them couragous? for that. More like cowards should be the correct term.

Secondly you cannot compare the people in the towers attacks with attacks on Israel becuase they are 2 completly different situations. In israel every mand and women serves in the Israeli armed forces and is a fully trainned soldier becuase Israel has a active Miliattry draft so people are conscripted into the forces obviously apart from draft dodgers and certain people like pregnant women are excused from the draft.

And i think you should watch this before you make judgements about Israel palestine/lebanon conflicts if your an american. Please watch the whole video :
video.google.com...

Yes I do think that the Israeli PEOPLE are courageous. As I said - please re-read my post - I believe that the CITIZENS of Israel have courage living with the terrorism. Every week, innocent civilians are killed by terror attacks. Man, you might be better than me, but I sure couldn't live like that.
Now more importantly - I also said that the Israeli GOVERNMENT is arrogant. Frankly, I think the Israeli GOVERNMENT is a self serving, hipocritical disgrace. They are the first to cry when something happens, but commit more than their share of attrocities. Stealing the land of others, then building that "WALL". Even the wall has gone past the original boundaries, stealing even more land.
Please do not take me out of context iqonx!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You people...

That land has been Israel's for thousands of years. Where do you come up with the idea that they stole ANY land from ANYONE? They have been driven from their land many times over the centuries and have managed to return each time only to have to fight day in and day out to keep from being "driven out" again.

If Lebanon wanted a "cease fire", if you will, hand over any Hezbollah militants to the proper authorities. "Out of my town, militant. I don't want to be bombed out of my home." (Angry mobs have a not-so-subtle way of getting what they want.) But, that is not the case here. Apparently, the Lebanese have no problems with Hezbollah militants utilizing their resources. (homes, streets, what-have-you) Get a spine or get bombed with the rest of the militants you harbor. In the US, because I don't about other countries' laws, this is called harboring a fugitive and usually comes with a similar punishment...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Badmojo where is it said that land has been Israels for thousands of years? Maybe 2000 years ago when Rome kicked them out and before that Israel took the land from its indigenous population which is mentioned explicitly in the Bible. Plus when exactly have they been driven from their land over the centuries like you say? Apart from the Roman issue I have mentioned already, or are you talking about Babylon?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Originally posted by kickoutthejams

What do you expect

Your enemy with whom you have been fighting THIS battle for over 30 days raises his weapon and approaches you, your choices are:

1)get shot and killed by the terrorists breaking the ceasefire

2)shoot the terrorists before his "RAISED" weapon can kill you

I can see the headlines now, Hezbolla terrorists approach IDF forces with weapons raised, ready to murder and were killed for it.
Bad IDF, you should just lay down and die for the nice terrorits

Can I just point out that Hezbollah are only called 'terrorists' by about 3 countries. They are not a terrorist organisation, they are a Guerilla army and a well regimented and equiped one at that. It is only mainly the US that actually classes them as terrorists as well as Israel.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Freedom fighters do not target civilians. Terrorists do.

Freedom fighters do not attemp to maximise civilian casualties. Terrorists do.

Freedom fighters fight a repressive government for the betterment of their people. Freedom fighters do not attack a sovereign nation then hide amongst civilians when the sovereign nation retaliates.

Hezbollah ARE NOT freedom fighters. THey are terrorists with no regard for civilians from either side of the conflict.

And IM sorry but a lot of countries (including Australia, Britain, France, Canada, US, Japan) list Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.

It scares me to think that reasonable people could consider Hezbollah as noble freedom fighters.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well said DarkUK.

Unfortunately it rarely get's mentioned by the MSM and every time they do act it's a reaction to an Israeli aggressive act. Never do the MSM report on the Israeli incursions of the border or the low, sometimes supersonic, penetrations of their fighters into Lebanese airspace. Israel must always be viewed as the poor little victim. Hell, even the UN document these Israeli actions but nothing is ever done and it's kept out of the news. Now I wonder why that is

Israel never had any intention of adhering to any UN ceasefire. It's just another dog and pony show

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel

Freedom fighters do not target civilians. Terrorists do.

Freedom fighters do not attemp to maximise civilian casualties. Terrorists do.

Freedom fighters fight a repressive government for the betterment of their people. Freedom fighters do not attack a sovereign nation then hide amongst civilians when the sovereign nation retaliates.

Hezbollah ARE NOT freedom fighters. THey are terrorists with no regard for civilians from either side of the conflict.

And IM sorry but a lot of countries (including Australia, Britain, France, Canada, US, Japan) list Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.

It scares me to think that reasonable people could consider Hezbollah as noble freedom fighters.

OK, and what about the 1000 plus civilians that Israel have murdered over the past month? Does that make them terrorists too? No, not according to the media it doesnt. Wake up and smell the propoganda friend...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here we go, body count is going up today!

Israeli soldiers killed six Hezbollah fighters in three skirmishes in Lebanon after the U.N.-imposed cease-fire took effect Monday, the army said. The clashes came as Lebanese civilians defied an Israeli travel ban and streamed back to their homes in war-ravaged areas

www.forbes.com...

and UN have voted to investigate Israeli war crimes

news.bbc.co.uk...

I don't see how anyone can claim Israel are the 'good guys'

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Well said DarkUK.

Unfortunately it rarely get's mentioned by the MSM and every time they do act it's a reaction to an Israeli aggressive act.

Yes...An agressive Israeli action AGAINST ARMED MILITA! Not attacks against civilians like Hezbollah carry out.

Israel must always be viewed as the poor little victim.

You know sometimes I think that all the Hezbollah groupies on here really need to go spend some time over in the middle east to REALLY understand the situation.
Israel attacks the aremd militia - Hezbollah attacks civilians. See a difference there?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel

Originally posted by Britguy
Well said DarkUK.

Unfortunately it rarely get's mentioned by the MSM and every time they do act it's a reaction to an Israeli aggressive act.

Yes...An agressive Israeli action AGAINST ARMED MILITA! Not attacks against civilians like Hezbollah carry out.

Israel must always be viewed as the poor little victim.

You know sometimes I think that all the Hezbollah groupies on here really need to go spend some time over in the middle east to REALLY understand the situation.
Israel attacks the aremd militia - Hezbollah attacks civilians. See a difference there?

Have you people who claim the Hezbollah are evil actually been watching the news? Israel has DESTROYED Lebanon, they will be set back many years by this attack. Israel have indiscriminately killed over a thousand civilians so far and are going to be investigated for war crimes. Hezbollah have killed a handfull of civilians and everyone goes ape. WAKE UP!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

OK, and what about the 1000 plus civilians that Israel have murdered over the past month? Does that make them terrorists too? No, not according to the media it doesnt. Wake up and smell the propoganda friend...

Israelis have not murdered them. Murder implies intent. Israel has never intended to murder innocent civilians.

They only attack sites that Hezbollah launch rockets from, or base their operations from.

They drop brochures warning civilians to GET OUT.

It is not murder, it is the very unfortunate and tragic side effect of fighting an enemy THAT HIDES AMONG CIVILIANS.

While Im all for approaching reported news with a critical mind, sometimes you just have to let go of the conspiracy paranoia and face the facts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join