It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Threat Level Downgraded Already??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What... already? Wow. That hardly took any time at all. I'm impressed (and by impressed I mean highly cynical) of the government's lightening quick ability to detect such a major act of potential and (in their own words) 'Unimaginable' damage and loss of life and turn it around whippet quick so that we are 'safe' over little more than a weekend.

Amazing. Especially since the perps are still out there? Or have they rounded up all the stoog... oops, I mean suspects.

The Home Office said the decision had been made because an attack was "highly likely" but no longer "imminent".

The change in the threat level means the ban on taking hand luggage on to flights from the UK has been lifted, although some restrictions remain.

BBC

Seriously and all sarcasm aside now, is this really wise? Doesn't it seem a little hasty? Unless of course we were never in any real danger anyway - which would explain why Tony is still basking in the sun somewhere and why one supsect has been let go and no one has yet to see any proof of bomb making equipment.

[edit on 14-8-2006 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Just found out myself! Hmm so hand luggage is ok now? Could this be because British Airways were threatened with being grounded at Heathrow because they called for the army to be brought in to handle security? That would have been bad PR for sure.

I'm glad the threat to the UK is now downgraded and stopping all hand luggage for what? these 'critical' 5 days was enough especially when at least 5 of the suspects are still at large.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Not to mention it took them months and months to investigate, but all of a sudden 5 days is deemed safe? Seems a little hasty whatever story you believe.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Without wishing to appear 'overly' cynical I think it's a race to get 'back to normal' because John Reid has bitten off more than he can chew. The ensuing airline chaos and delays / cancellations were not foreseen (incredibly!) plus the very nasty snarling that has erupted between the carriers and BAA who run the airports. In addition all the duty free goods stores effectively becoming redundant overnight due to their goods being proscribed items. (alcohol, perfume, electrical etc). What's more it's not just a UK issue as all incoming flights would have been subject to the same restriction and other countries (and airline carriers) won't carry the can and bleed money for the UK. This could be seen even with the USA downgrading their own restrictions for carry on luggage. Simply the economics of all this were not planned for at all and have had a far greater influence over all this than the continued threat.

For some reason this whole thing was played as if an attack had actually happened rather than not and I hate to say it but I think it's gonna feel a lot more like the boy who cried wolf over coming days.

However in a strange way it may make the danger of an attack (FF or otherwise) moreso...

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Can't forget the US also dropping its threat level.

In America, the country's Homeland Security Department reduced the threat level for US-bound flights from Britain from red, for "severe" to orange, for "high" today.

All other flights operating in or destined for the US remain at orange.

I think for even those that actually believed this was a 'real' threat and not a government sponsered campaign to cause fear, will react suspiciously to this.

This is what Reid had to say about the lowering of the threat level.

In a statement, Mr Reid explained today that this was because JTAC felt that a terrorist attack, while still "highly likely", was no longer "imminent".

Huh? So the highest precaution doesn't need to be taken anymore because all the goals have been achieved by the rounding up of the 23 suspects? I thought 4 or 5 were missing?

But he added: "There is still a very serious threat of an attack. The threat level is at severe indicating the high likelihood of an attempted terrorist attack at some stage, and I urge the public to remain vigilant."

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
In addition all the duty free goods stores effectively becoming redundant overnight due to their goods being proscribed items. (alcohol, perfume, electrical etc). What's more it's not just a UK issue as all incoming flights would have been subject to the same restriction and other countries (and airline carriers) won't carry the can and bleed money for the UK. This could be seen even with the USA downgrading their own restrictions for carry on luggage. Simply the economics of all this were not planned for at all and have had a far greater influence over all this than the continued threat.

For some reason this whole thing was played as if an attack had actually happened rather than not and I hate to say it but I think it's gonna feel a lot more like the boy who cried wolf over coming days.

for the benefit of those who've never been to an airport, there are shops located inside which can only be visited by the passengers (ie after you have checked in and your luggage has been taken from you) where you can spend some time and money before your flight is called. they were called duty-free shops because local taxes or duties did not apply to them, (although the duty-free status was abolished in 1999)

i think you are right and that this reason above all others is why the ban has been lifted. the combined financial clout of all those angry stores against the government shows up the mockery of how seriously your security is really taken. that overpriced brand-name perfume is worth more than your life!

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
er I was stating the economics of flights being cancelled for the last several days and the fact carriers and passengers will route via other countries rather than use the UK hub. I was NOT suggesting that the duty free stores had brought pressure to bear although they have effectively been closed down over recent days.

Duty Free status was only abolished for the European Union in fact, you can still buy duty free for any non-EU flight and the duty free stores maintain a considerable presence in all UK international airports.

CX

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Lol this would be funny if it were'nt such a serious subject! You can now take electronic items such as laptops......but you can't take cosmetics and drinks still.

Theres a guy reading out the new list on Sky at the moment.

I'll post a link when one appears.

CX.

PS: Edited to add that they are also going to hand search 50% of pasengers rather than the 100% that they have been searching over the past few days.

Lets hope they pick the right ones eh?

[edit on 14/8/06 by CX]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
As I was watching the news on Thursday I was struck with how many women had to empty out their makeup cases and bottles of hair products and how many had tears in their eyes. Even *I* had tears in my eyes watching them.

Oh the cruelity, the inhumanity!

Good makeup is expensive. No wonder the cosmetics industry is not up in arms about this. They stand to make a huge profit if you have to buy when you get to your destination. Imagine all the money wasted on just a lipstick, gloss and moisturiser. That's not even counting hair.

At the same time airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet will make a killing on 4 pound mini colas and bite sized pringles.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
(oops repeated post)

[edit on 14-8-2006 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
here we go again then...

from the Guardian

'Earlier yesterday Mr Reid had signalled yesterday that the government may revive plans to detain people without charge for up to 90 days as part of a package to deter a fresh wave of terror attacks.'

How exactly does having a law for 90 day detention without charge deter a terrorist hell bent on destruction? Are they gonna say 'oh now that's far too long, I give up now' No I don't think so. Just more draconian laws to bypass due process and civil liberty.

new topics

top topics

join