It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automotive Forum Petition Thread

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
See! See! See!

How useful this forum would be..

I found the leak in the Subaru by following the member suggestions posted on here...

I don't think it can be fixed, crack in the block next to the oil pan, but at least now I know...

Yes yes yes yes, on the forum..

Semper

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Geez, Semper, that's the first thing I would have checked.
j/k.

I have a little off-topic question, but it concerns engines.

This ad in a circular:

Diesel Generators starting from enclosed 8000 watt unit at $1199 to 7500 watt open units at $1049

Gas Generators starting from 1250 watt at $199 to 8000 watt at $599

Why such a large price discrepancy?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Diesels are much higher compression that gasoline engines, and therefor they have to be built better, stronger materials, tighter tolerances etc... so you're paying for that, but they typically last much longer than a gas engine. If you think that price difference is bad go price a gas pickup truck and then a comparable diesel one and you'll see there's an even bigger gap in price.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
i'd love the addition of this forum
then i wouldn't have to call cartalk or go to a mechanic everytime there was a problem i couldn't figure out with my car

Ex

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Voting YES Here!

Would love to read through the threads

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've avoided this thread from the day of its birth, but the other night as I was crawling off to bed I remembered that all professions are a conspiricy against the laity. A mechanic may be there to fix your car, but you can rest assured his primary goal is to remove as much of your money from your wallet as he possibly can.

My only concern is this will lead to a dental forum and then a crossed eyed baby forum and maybe a tax forum, etc etc etc....

Count me in. I made a passing grade in college when I took small engine repair and then advanced small engine repair...I have no problem tearing apart a four stroke engine.

Just don't ask my advice on putting it back together

[edit on 10-12-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Skeptic Overlord has blessed our little endeavor by creating a new forum

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Now, let's get some car talk going!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

posted by warpboost

Diesels are much higher compression that gasoline engines, and therefor they have to be built better, stronger materials, tighter tolerances etc... so they typically last much longer than a gas engine. go price a gas pickup truck and then a comparable diesel one and you'll see there's an even bigger gap in price. [Edited by Don W]

GM’s Detroit Diesel division once made a line of supercharged 2 cycle diesels for the heaviest over the road tractors. Class 8. www.transportation.anl.gov...

Using a Rootes-type positive displacement belt driven blower, the engines were economical and durable. Owners loved them. Drivers hated them. That was because the engines were very peaky. Because the “timing” was cast in the block - 2 cycle - the engines had a very narrow power curve. This meant a 13 speed transmission was de rigueur. Mack and most other trucks got along on 10 speeds. The Detroit Diesel driver was constantly shifting up and down, to keep his engine speed in the narrow range of power or torque. Starting up, you need torque, cruising you need power. www.mg-tabc.org...

GM replaced the 2 cycle with perhaps the best 4 cycle currently offered. At truck stops it is called the ‘Million Miler’ engine. It has proved to be very durable and both owners and drivers love it. 10 speeds ok now. Progress. Slow in coming but when it finally did arrive, it came with bells on! Let’s hope it is not too late for GM.

For more on supercharging an engine, see www.maddoldbugger.supanet.com...

[edit on 12/12/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
there is much to talk about when it come to cars.
like why we are still using the ICE instead of something more energy efficient, and how to repair cars or best places to get parts or repairs, the topics are oveiously more than this so come on 3 amigos

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
If you guys thought the Class 8 was a big engine, you ain't seen nothin' yet until you've feasted your eyes on a 710G3C-T2 built by Electro Motive for these suckers.

CSXT SD70ACe #4843 behind CSXT D9-44CW #???? on an intermodal somewhere.

[edit on 12/13/2006 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
No, it’s not Morton’s Salt. It’s my 1995 Buick Century 4 Door. It has 86,000 actual miles. 3.1 V6 Auto. Never wrecked. Everything works.

Problem: In the right front door there is a map pocket. It is molded into the inside door panel. When it rains hard here, which is fairly often, this pocket fills with water. I’ll done the dollar bill test on the door molding, and it more or less passes, and the door vents at the bottom are open, but all that notwithstanding, there is no sign of waiter running inside the car. Even if the upper door molding was leaking, the water would have to get from there to the pocket, at the lower edge of the panel. The pocket fills very predictably, but there’s never a water stain or water mark inside the car.

Q. How does the rainwater get into the door pocket from outside?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That's a very good question, I don't have the anti-laziness powers of cognitive research to answer it though.

If voting is still going...

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
If voting is still going...

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I recommend that the thread be closed and moved to the Automotive Discussion forum as a memorial to those sacrificed so that ATS'ers, both present and future, could talk cars.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
i vote yes

i

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join