It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 experts say stop the war on terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
american journalist james fallows interviewed 60 experts, "ranging from the military and intelligence communities, as well as academics, members of think tanks and businesspeople, both American and foreign." every single one of them stated that the war on terror should be stopped now before it makes things worse than they already are and efforts should be made to repair the damage already done. they say to carry it on will only bring more trouble long term and this needs to be looked at and considered seriously.

the entire pdf of his research article can be downloaded from this site here but it is a very long read.

so, do you think it is now time that we as nations started putting an effort into making peace again or are you resigned to there being endless death and destruction throughout your lifetime and beyond?

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
says the article can only be downloaded if you are a paid subscriber...

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I also say that the war on terror should be stopped. I guess that makes it 61. I, sir, am an expert in martial law!

T'was, in fact, many centuries ago that I proposed that the war on Terror was in fact an illusion upon the mindral quartex. This proponent caused the solar plexus to unleash massive quantities of heavy metallica and therefore became unfeasible.

[edit on 13-8-2006 by surrender_dorothy]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The war on terrorism is BS. Terrorism is simply cause an effect. I got a great idea. Take the 250 million dollars A DAY we are spending in Iraq and Afhg. And spend that on different needy regions in the world. Then the WHOLE world would look at us like were are supposed to be looked at, like the mother of the the world. The helper. The older brother.

Not the jackass brother in law who is just trying to get in where he fits in. AAC

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Not the jackass brother in law who is just trying to get in where he fits in.

I agree with the rest of what you said but the above sentence is meaningless to me. Care to explain?

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Do we need 60 experts to tell us the war on terrorism should stop? I think we'd all rather be living in a pre-911 world filled with innocence and self indulgence.

Remember when the biggest news stories were about politicians who may or may not have killed the intern they were sleeping with. Well maybe it was just the one Condit fella but I think it's a very sad state of affairs when people look back on sex and murder scandals as those "Good ol' days o'innocense". Though I'll admit that could just be me.

Whether you think Iraq was a mistake (which I do) or wether you think the war on terrorism is all part of some NWO agenda (which I don't) the "war on terrorism" is happening.

And of course we could pack up and leave Iraq and Afghanistan tomorrow, pull our troops out of all the hotspots, disband the Department of Homeland Security(the creation of which was a massive boondoggle) and declare to the world that we have decided to stop fighting terrorism I'm sure there would be many people on a global level who would praise us for coming to our senses.

The problem is you cant be guarunteed that the terrorists will actually stop. The inherent make up of terrorist cells make it absolutely impossible to control and negotiate with your enemy as a whole.

As most of us are aware terrorist cells act independentyly of each other and often have no idea how many other cells (if any) are operating in the area. Recruitment tends to take place in a very segmented fashion with major recruiting and individual cell recruiting happening simultaneously.

The war on terrorism is not a war of borders but of ideologies. Ideology spreads like wildfire and can't be stopped by declaring we will no longer fight.

I don't agree with how we're fighting the war but a war it is. A war of memes that we don't yet understand how to fight in a new way.

Hopefully we'll figure it out before something incredibly disastrous happens. But getting every nation together to declare the war on terror to be over is absolutely useless. Terrorisim and government of any kind do not go hand in hand.

You think Hamas gives a hoot what nations in the middle east thinks is best for the people of that region?

This is all just my opinion of course and we know what those are worth.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj

This is all just my opinion of course and we know what those are worth.

Spiderj

Yeah it sucks that our opinions are completely worthless doesn't it. Maybe if we gathered them all together and rolled them into a big ball and threw the ball at the back of some important persons head and ran away...

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Not the jackass brother in law who is just trying to get in where he fits in.

I agree with the rest of what you said but the above sentence is meaningless to me. Care to explain?

I was simply extending my metaphor of family members. I agree it was weak, but I had a CRAZY brother in law. AAC

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yeah it sucks that our opinions are completely worthless doesn't it. Maybe if we gathered them all together and rolled them into a big ball and threw the ball at the back of some important persons head and ran away...

I think that's how you get invited to go hunting with Dick Cheney and I just dont run that fast.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
american journalist James Fallows interviewed 60 experts...
...every single one of them stated that the war on terror should be stopped now

So tell me where there "experts" come from and how he selected them for interview please. I would find it very easy to select many more than 60 "experts" who would tell me that we should continue with all guns blazing. This is statistically skewed media nonsense.

Or do we honestly beleive that he who shouts loudest has a monopoly on being right?

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus

if you read the next but one sentence in that paragraph, you will find the link to the pdf download, or just click here

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sweet Jesus Come Soon! OK, so last week the Brits caught 9 out of 24 out of 50 who wanted to mix peroxide and sour milk to blow up airplanes headed for the US of A. Hmm? That sounds like a formula for flatus. Ronnie Reagan said cow flatus was causing the hole in the ozone layer. Hmm?

Fast as heck - No More Katrina Re-runs - Homeland Security says no jells, no liquids, no of anything we think can cause harm. OK, it’s inconvenient but what the hey, who wants to die in a flaming plane crash?

Opps! Now today, let’s change the rules! Today they say you can carry up to 4 oz of some liquids and some OTC medicines and maybe a solid lipstick if you are not a cross-dresser. Hmm?

These jerks at Homeland Security are the weak link in our system. Act Now, Think Later!

“Hey Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job!”

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

Originally posted by Escrotumus

if you read the next but one sentence in that paragraph, you will find the link to the pdf download, or just click here

My bad, dont see how i missed that. I even searched the page for pdf??? Go figure...

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Forget terrorism, let's just take over the whole world and get it over with. Then we can make the entire world speak American English, love rock music, vote Republican, etc. The very first thing we'll have to do is erradicate the French language and their cultural values & traditions. Not that we really need to do that, but it would be fun. After that we'll have to ask the Israelis what to do next since they really run everything anyway. Wait, it may be Walmart that really runs everything. Is Walmart a good jewish company?

[edit on 13-8-2006 by Astronomer70]

new topics

top topics

join