It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanese cabinet meeting cancelled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Lebanese cabinet meeting cancelled

Without notice, a meeting of the Lebanese cabinet which was scheduled for today to discuss details of the cease fire and troop deployment, was cancelled. No explanation was given.

The deployment refers to sending Lebanese troops to the border. Speculation is that Hezbollah is not ready to agree to being disarmed.

Waiting for more details to come available, will post when they come.

Edit: More details.

[edit on 13-8-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The new resolution isnt demanding that Hezbollah be disarmed though.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
To be honest, I haven't read the new resolution. I'll do so soon.

It was said on the TV that the Lebanese official (PM?) that is a direct conduit to Hezbollah, was the one who called the meeting off. In the same breath, it was mentioned that Hezbollah is in no way willing to disarm.

Sorry for the sketchy details; I can't find anything on-line about it yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The resolution (as I read it last) called for the implantation of UN resolutions 1559 and 1680 by the Lebanese authority; holds Lebanon responsible for any arm shipments into its territory as well as any militias operating from within her borders.

UN resolution 1701 (excerpt)

Full implementation of the relevant provisions of the Taif Accords, and of resolutions 1559 (2004) and 1680 (2006), that require the disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon, so that, pursuant to the Lebanese cabinet decision of July 27, 2006, there will be no weapons or authority in Lebanon other than that of the Lebanese state;
BBC copy

mg

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thanks, missed_gear. So that covers the disarmament of Hezbollah via 1559 and 1680.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Here's an idea, get Israel to follow resolution 242 (unanimously agreed by the UNSC 15-0) and then Hezbollah can follow resolution 1559...

Seem's fair to me.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Here's an idea, get Israel to follow resolution...

Here is another idea...how about defining the opaque and shallow 242 while discussing international law. Eg. “ex injuria jus non oritur” instead of the tabloid news and regurgitation of “less than facts”...

...What lands deemed currently occupied were in fact occupied by any other before Israel’s action in 1967?

mg

new topics

top topics

join