It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Saturation Reference Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hey guys, in my work I've come across a major problem and have very little understanding of it. I'm an aerospace engineering student so I don't do the whole "Electical Engineering" thing. I've got a problem that I'm looking for an answer too and need an easy to understand reference. I'm using a large solenoid to decelerate an iron slug moving through the center of it. Now I'm worried about magnetic saturation on the iron slug. If this happens, you get no more force exerted on the iron slug, or to put it another way it maximizes at that point. I need a way to calculate that for the system I'm working with. Now to give you an idea, I'm working with field strengths of several teslas. I did one calculation that said I could get up to about 600 teslas. If you just $hit a brick, that's the correct answer. Anyway, links or book references would be helpful if you guys can give them. Books are probably better as they're more trustworthy and may be able to get my hands on technical books.

If you're good I'll explain my research to you all
, you guys might actually like it.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
From Wikipedia:

"Different materials have different saturation level. For example, iron reaches magnetic saturation at 2.2 tesla."

Click here for the source article

new topics

join