It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Cease Fire Begins Monday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan has announced that there will be a complete cease fire of Israeli and Hezbollah forces by this upcoming Monday at 8am. This will be assured will a forced system of all fighting and hostilities to stop between Israel and the Hezbollah. Hezbollahs' current head leader joined with the Lebanese government on the agreement.

news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - U.N. Secretary-General
Kofi Annan announced that a cease-fire in the Hezbollah-
Israel fighting will take effect at 8 a.m. Lebanese time (1 a.m. EDT) Monday.

Annan said in a statement distributed in Beirut early Sunday that he had been in touch with Prime Ministers Fuad Saniora of Lebanon and Ehud Olmert of Israel to discuss the exact time and date when the cessation of hostilities called for by a
U.N. Security Council resolution will enter into force.

"I am happy to annouce that the two leaders have agreed that the cessation of hostilities and the end of the fighting will enter into force on 14 August, at 0500 hours GMT," the statement said.

Late Friday, the Security Council on adopted a resolution seeking a "full cessation" of violence between Israel and Hezbollah, offering the region its best chance yet for peace after a month of fighting that has killed more than 800 people and inflamed Mideast tensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For the Middle East it seems there will now be peace, after almost a month of deadly conflict and anger there is now an end. It seems this will hold up, both Israel and the Hezbollah have agreed to it. There is no pro dominate reason for the agreement, but most likely it is the extreme loss of life for both sides. For many this is an to prayers, and others just another failed attempt to bring down Israel.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
newsmax.com

[edit on 12-8-2006 by ragster]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard this before. You know, like last week.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Considering that Israel has yet to vote on the resolution, and Nasrallah said he wasn't going to disarm nor cease fighting if Israel remains in Lebanon, does that mean Kofi is getting ready to have bowl of crow for Monday's brunch?

I also sit on the side of "believing it, when I see it".

Israelis turn on Olmert as UN agrees ceasefire

The Observer, UK

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Me too. There will be no ceasefire tomorrow. Hezbollah will fight Israel as long as they remain in Lebanon, but the Israelis won't leave until Hezbollah stop fighting....... Bloody stubborn, the lot of 'em!

The fighting is intense this weekend, even with the ceasefire coming up. 17 IDF soldiers were killed yesterday, 70 injured and 5 are missing, presumed dead after Hezbolah downed an IDF Helicopter. Tough day in Lebanon.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I have to agree with many of the posters here.

The fact that Israel currently has around 30,000 troops deployed in and around the warzone shows that they do not believe that the ceasefire will be upheld by Hezbollah. Israel themselves have stated that they will not be willing to withdraw until the Lebanese and UN Forces are situated in southern Lebanon which could take a week longer than the instigation of the UN resolutions ceasefire on Monday.

Sheik Hassan Nasrallah may state that he has agreed on behalf of Hezbollah to the ceasefire in the same way as Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Maj Gen. Kaplinsky however, they themselves are not on the ground and as such the Shi'ite militants and the IDF will obviously come to blows.

Hezbollah are quite obviously situated south of the Litani River and IDF have reached that point. This indicates that although IDF is pressing forward as they did in the Lebanese invasion of 1982, the Militants are still able to inflict damage on northern Israel right under their noses.

The Hezbollah fighters do appear to be somewhat better trained and disciplined than the Palastinian insurgents that Israel have faced in the past.

Both sides have suffered sever personal losses and risk further fighting if the multi national forces and Lebenese Army do not move quicker into southern Lebanon.

One week may be too long.

I believe that UN needs to apply more pressure not just on Israel and Hezbollah but on the support of insurgent campaigns from other countries such as Syria who have and regular times in the past attempted to annihilate Israel. Also with the increased support from other Shia fundamentalist countries such as Iran may need to be monitored further as to whether these occurences can be prevented in the first place.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Israel finally voted, so there's one part of the Annan prediction that is correct.

Israeli Cabinet approves Middle East cease-fire
24-0 vote comes a day after Lebanon approval; truce to take effect Monday

The vote came as some 30,000 Israeli troops fought heavy battles with Hezbollah guerrillas in a last-minute push deeper into Lebanon, and a day after 24 soldiers were killed in the highest Israeli toll of the monthlong war.

30,000 troops!? Sure doesn't look like they plan on a cease fire.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
30,000 troops a ceasfire does not make.

If the IDF remain, then Hezbollah will fight.

There will be some reason or another that one side or both will claim the ceasefire was breached and fighting will resume.

I do not have much hope for this resolution at all, despite the rosy picture painted on the MSM, the situation on the ground is anything but peaceful.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'll keep a positive frame of mind and hopefully this will work out so that the innocent people of Lebanon and Isreal can try and get on with their lives without Governments and Militant organisations using them as fodder.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
UN chefs prepare Annan's bowl of crow. Ceasefire deal collapses.

Critical Lebanese Cabinet Mtg Postponed Indefinitely
BEIRUT (AP)--A critical Lebanese Cabinet meeting set for Sunday to discuss implementation of the cease-fire between Israel and Hezbollah was postponed, a move that was likely to delay the dispatch of the Lebanese army to the south and an end to the fighting.

A top aide to Prime Minister Fuad Saniora said the meeting had been indefinitely postponed but would give no reason. Pushlished reports said the Cabinet, which approved the cease-fire unanimously Saturday night, had been sharply divided over demands in the cease-fire agreement that Hezbollah surrender its weapons in south Lebanon.

That disagreement was believed to have caused the postponement of the Sunday meeting that was to have taken up the dispatch of some 15,000 troops to the south.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Things don't look so good for a ceasefire tomorrow, as Hezbollah launches 250 rockets into Israel, the most vicious attack yet in this war.

Hezbollah fired more than 250 rockets into Israel on Sunday, the fiercest attack against northern Israel since the fighting began more than a month ago, the Israeli army reported. One Israeli man was killed.

After a stormy debate Sunday, Israel's Cabinet approved a Mideast cease-fire, agreeing to silence the army's guns in less than 24 hours. The Israeli military and Hezbollah both embarked on a last-minute barrage, trying to inflict as much damage as possible before the cease-fire began.

abcnews.go.com

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
With both sides still going harder than ever and the hours ticking down ... I don't see a cease fire happening. Factor that in with a sharply divided lebanese government which is apparently backing out by default on THE SINGLE biggest key to israel agreeing to stop fighting....

Without those troops nothing will change, well even with them nothing will change but it'd stop the fighting for a minute. But without it's just one more deadline that both sides will find a reason to say the other invalidated.

This ceased being a boxing match style regulated war from the beginning... both sides are lookin to bite the others ears off like mike tyson.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Cease fire?4 how long?answer:till next terrorist act(arab)or next targeted assination(israel)as has nagated every painstakingly worked out pact/agreement between them.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Yeah, I dont think this will last long.

Its just a grace period for Hez to re-arm and re-locate weapons. They are too dispersed and made up of many individuals which makes it very difficult to control their actions.

Israel on the other hand is an army and will only act on orders through chain of command and will not attack unless "ordered" to.

One group of Irate Hez militiants could just load up their truck and launch a volly of rockets on their own initiative & will.

Any predictions on how long this will last? - I say it will be broken before tomorrow morning

apc

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I don't see it reported anywhere, but on my local news it was just stated that Israel fired on Hezbollah troops who were making "threatening advancements" just a few hours after the cease fire began. Is this just being ignored in order to preserve the truce?

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here's the lastest fog o' war ceasefire or not news.

UN Israel Lebanon Ceasefire Broken By Hezbollah
Tel Aviv----August 14...... Just 4 hours after a UN brokered Israel Lebanon ceasefire was to take affect, the terror organization Hezbollah attacked an IDF force in south Lebanon.

"A group of armed Hezbollah terrorists approached an IDF force in the south Lebanon village of Hadatha," an Israel Defense Forces spokesperson told the Israel News Agency.

Hezbollah has refused to lay their weapons down. This has created a schism between Hezbollah and the Lebanon government which is waiting to deploy their army and open humanitarian aid to south Lebanon.

Main scream media is trying it's best to say this truce is good to go...we shall see.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Crow is now being served for dinner at the UN. Maybe Olmert should have a bowl too.

Israeli Army: 10 Katyusha Rockets Hit South Lebanon
JERUSALEM (AP)--Hezbollah guerillas fired at least 10 katyusha rockets into southern Lebanon early Tuesday, the army said. No injuries were reported.

Despite a U.N. cease-fire that came into effect Monday morning, Hezbollah has said it will still attack Israeli forces in southern Lebanon. None of the rockets crossed the border, the army said.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I knew Hez wouldnt be able to control themselves. They are too rag-tag, no structured discipline like the IDF. And they are made up of many individuals not a single grouped mind with directives.

Another cease-fire will come in and go...

new topics

top topics

join