It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a Quote

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Good one Whaaa,

Here is one I figure to be timely with so much drama lately on the boards about ATS...

"From the equality of rights springs identity of our highest interests; you cannot subvert your neighbor's rights without striking a dangerous blow at your own."
Carl Schurz

Semper

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
"Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to an end
But we can't just get in line again" - Streetlight Manifesto

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Unfortunately, in today's world we have to be reminded that the power of an oath derives from the fact that in it we ask God to bear witness to the promises we make with the implicit expectation that He will hold us accountable for the manner in which we honor them.
James L. Buckley

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
"We've gone astray from first principles. We've lost sight of the rule that individual freedom and ingenuity are at the very core of everything that we've accomplished. Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."

The Late, GREAT President Ronald Reagan.

Semper

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Never argue with stupid people.
They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Author of this quote unknown.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
These are all Will Rogers...

"The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected."

"There is nothing so stupid as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in."

"A fool and his money are soon elected."

Gotta love that guy!

Semper

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It wasn't until quite late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say "I don't know!" ~Somerset Maugham

JAK

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
    In the shadow of the wall, flowers turn into barbed wire; men turn into monsters.

– Gerald Scarfe, Commentary from The Wall

Jak

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If the truth doesn't save us, what does that say about us?
Lois McMaster Bujold

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Simon Bolivar

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
“The most tragic thing in the world is a man of genius who is not a man of honor”

G. B. Shaw

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
"I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift would be curiosity."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"When life is too easy for us, we must beware or we may not be ready to meet the blows which sooner or later come to everyone, rich or poor."
Eleanor Roosevelt

So true, so very true....

Semper

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."

Drew Carey

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Whaaa,

As usual, you come up with one I LOVE!!!!!

(I also really like Drew)

Here is one for everyone that has felt like giving in....

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
Thomas Edison

Read his history sometime, it is fascinating...

Semper

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."

Both from Plato

I think maybe I will start living by that last one...

Semper

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
--Nikola Tesla, Modern Mechanics and Inventions, July, 1934

Since when did unquestioning obedience to corporate intrests become patriotic?
--Read this on a button in an adult bookstore.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~JFK

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session ................Mark Twain (1866)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. - Aldous Huxley

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned. - Buddha

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Nobody can hurt me without my permission. - Mohandas Gandhi

I have taken my best pains not to laugh at the actions of mankind, not to groan over them, not to be angry at them, but to understand them. - Spinoza

Opportunities multiply as they are seized. - Sun Tzu

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. - Oscar Wilde

A few which I particularly like:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. - Carl Jung

A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar. - Sun Tzu

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. - Bertrand Russell

Philosophy begins when one learns to doubt - particularly to doubt one's cherished beliefs, one's dogmas and one's axioms. - Will Durant

A wise man knows nothing and knows he knows nothing. - Socrates

He who knows nothing is nearer the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. - Thomas Jefferson

And finally

You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. - Sacha Guitry

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody ever tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

A facillity for quotation covers the absence of original thought. - Dorothy L. Sayers

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Heres 2 quotes not so famous.

Now many minds think alike but as far as I know I came up with these here in my time on ATS.
Tho if someone somewhere has said this, by all means, I dont want to take full credit..
They just came too me one day.

The Universe is a BIG place, contained in a very small space!

There is no I in team, but there is M.E. in team!

Over and over agin I hear people saying no I in team, no I in team.

IM like wait. There happens to be M and an E in team,, So Muhhh!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW,

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players, (ie everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."
- Neil Gaiman

"Oh! Do not attack me with your watch. A watch is always too fast or too slow. I cannot be dictated to by a watch."
- Jane Austen

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join