It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a Quote

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Yer Granny sounds like a good woman, just from that one quote, Semper.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
She was one in a Billion...

Took a little abandoned street urchin in and raised him all by herself...

Taught me everything I know...

Here is another quote from her... But let me tell you how it happened first..

I was carrying in wood to cook our dinner one night and walking with Granny. My arms were full as it was Fall and we would keep the fire going all night to warm the house and have the stove ready for breakfast.
As we got to the door, she just stood there and looked at me; she waited until I put the wood down and held the door for her...
She said...

"If you are going to be a gentleman, and you are going to be a gentleman, then be one; no matter how uncomfortable it may be at the time."

I'll never forget that ...

Semper

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."

Sam Keen

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

They pretty much quit making those in the sixties, at least the one's willing to do so, anyway.

/2csqab

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

She certainly sounds special. Even though I don't really know you too well, she obviously did a good job with you.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Anger is the most impotent of passions. It effects nothing it goes about, and hurts the one who is possessed by it more than the one against whom it is directed.
Carl Sandburg

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Ah one of my favoritest things quotes. Sorry for the over doing.

"All men are interdependent. Every nation is an heir of a vast treasury of ideas and labor to which both the living and the dead of all nations have contributed. Whether we realize it or not, each of us lives eternally 'in the red.' We are everlasting debtors to known and unknown men and women. We arise in the morning, we go into the bathroom where we reach for a sponge which is provided for us by a Pacific Islander. We reach for soap that is created for us by a European. Then at the table we drink coffee which is provided for us by a South American, or tea by a Chinese, or cocoa by a West African. Before we leave for our jobs we are already beholden to more than half of the world."
— Martin Luther King, Jr.; American clergyman and reformer, Nobel Prize 1964

"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
— Thomas A. Edison, American inventor

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give."
— Eleanor Roosevelt, American humanitarian and diplomat

"Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
— Michelangelo Buonarotti, Florentine painter, sculptor, architect and poet
Note: also cited as an Italian (Milanese) proverb

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be ignited."
— Plutarch, Greek philosopher and biographer

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this—you haven't."
— Source unknown

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it."
— Harry Emerson Fosdick, clergyman, author

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”
— James Madison, fourth U.S. president (1809-17)

"It is no measure of health to be sane in an insane society."
-- Krishnamurti

"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
— Lily Tomlin, American actress and comedian

"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire; you will what you imagine; and at last you create what you will."
— George Bernard Shaw, Irish dramatist, novelist and critic

"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self evident."
— Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher

"Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules."
— Ashleigh Brilliant, writer, columnist and cartoonist

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be."
— Marcel Pagnol, French dramatist and moviemaker

"No one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth shut."
— Sam Rayburn, U.S. politician

“Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.”
— Lyn Yutang, Chinese writer and editor

"There are two ways of exerting one's strength; one is pushing down, the other is pulling up."
— Booker T. Washington, American educator

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein

Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.
--Arthur Eddington

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
— Abraham Lincoln, 16th U. S. President

"Never work just for money or for power. They won't save your soul or help you sleep at night."
— Marian Wright Edelman, lawyer, educator, activist, reformer, children's advocate

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”
— William Butler Yeats, Irish prose writer, dramatist and poet; Nobelist

"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
— Thomas Carlyle, Scottish author

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.”
— Stanislaw Jerzy Lec, Polish writer, poet

"Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it."
— Thomas Jefferson, third U.S. president, author of the Declaration of Independence

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
— Dr. Carl Sagan, American astronomer, writer and scientist

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it."
— H. L. Mencken, American journalist, satirist, social critic

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained."
— Marya Sklodowska (Marie Curie), Polish scientist, Nobelist

“If suffering brings wisdom, I would wish to be less wise.”
— William Butler Yeats, Irish dramatist and poet; Nobelist

Thomas Adams wrote: "He who demands mercy and shows none burns the bridges over which he himself must later pass."

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
“My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?”

Charles Schulz.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
"Why, he that cuts off twenty years of life Cuts off so many years of fearing death."

William Shakespeare in Julius Caesar

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think I have a dark view of the world. I have to make everything funny, otherwise it all seems so sad.
Moon Unit Zappa

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here's a few by Dorothy Parker.

"Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words."

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."

"A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika."

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I never let school interfere with my education.

-Mark Twain

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
"We who have seen war will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night we will always hear the screams."

Joe Galloway
Reporter and co-author of "We Were Soldiers Once.....and Young"

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Heinlein

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have but that he - for some reason - thinks would be a good idea to give them.
Andy Warhol

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
From a personal hero of mine..

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."

The Late, Great Ronald Reagan

Semper

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Maybe this one should be shut down too as there is no real point; only wisdom.

"I call that mind free which jealously guards its intellectual rights and powers, which calls no man master, which does not content itself with a passive or hereditary faith, [and] receives new truth as an angel from Heaven."

Woody Allen

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.
Hunter S. Thompson

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join