It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese? A 'poisoned' food supply may be to blame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

sifyimg.speedera.net..." border=0>

Obese? A 'poisoned' food supply may be to blame

Feeling fat? It might not be your fault.

The obesity epidemic is caused by a "poisoned" food supply that is altering people's biochemistry and driving them to eat more and move less, according to a hypothesis proposed by a UCSF doctor who culled results from thousands of studies on obesity.

It is unfair and unhelpful to blame personal behaviors, especially a lack of self-control, for the country's rising obesity rates, says Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatrician and nationally renowned obesity expert.

The processed food that is most readily available to Americans -- from potato chips and cookies to yogurt and white bread -- is loaded with sugars that cause the body to believe that it is hungry, which makes people feel compelled to consume more calories and conserve energy, he said. Sugar makes the body produce more insulin, which blocks hormones that would normally tell the brain to stop eating, he said.

More...

I'm inclined to agree with this theory...

[edit on 12-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
so am i....the new american diet...diet soda, fat free chips, hormone laced meat and of course a diet energy drink...since you feel so bloated and lethargic after your nutritious meal you need a pick me up. just look at the people around you...bloated, out of shape probably coundn't run down the block without puking....but then again, if your active pursuits do not require ANY degree
of physical strength or endurance.....why bother.....video games, moives, tv ,tivo, digital cable, internet, sitting at a bar......

story

In 57 samples of Coca-Cola and PepsiCo drinks produced in 12 Indian states, the CSE found the average amount of pesticide residues to be 11.85 parts per billion (ppb), 34 times higher than the permitted limit set by the Bureau of Indian Standards. These standards by the BIS have been drafted but not implemented.

sorry, i digressed......since i've changed to an organic food diet, even the junk food...it has made a noticable difference. yes, i still eat at restaurant ect, but the food i eat on a daily basis is what makes the difference.......

so here is a question..how does the human body obsorb nutrients?? so why do all these chemicals not get absorbed by the body? ...ohhhh the industry pushing the chemicals says they don't...my bad....nothing to see here..move along,.......or we might consider you a terrorist....

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Poisoned food supply? sure...I guess.

...or it could be...you know...lack of excersice and piss poor eating habits.

same difference, right?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I totally support that theory. I moved out of country(to mexico) for a little over a year, and I ate what I thought be be very fattening foods while living there(bacon&egg burritos, tons of fried foods most likely fried in lards, and lots of other foods filled with fats).But, by the time I moved back to the states, I had lost 45 pounds. I didn't change any habits while there except eating the local foods. Infact, the heat made me less active if anything. Upon moving back(to the mid west) my weight came back(within 3 months), again without changing anything but my diet.Our "less fat" foods seem more fattening than the the lard fried beans, and meat I ate daily in mexico. It has to be related to the amount of chemicals in our foods, there nothing different except that.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
While its known that corn syrup increases cravingsfor food, is it really about looking for a reason of obesity, or is this another attempt to pass the buck.

Like people claim alcoholism isa DISEASE and not an addiction.

Sometimes people have to accept theyre own responsibilities for their actions. Ofcourse, that isn't our perogative in our country anymore. It's always somebody elses fault. If your kids are out of control, its not because your not a strict enough parent, it's because of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and evil playstations. If your decide to get drunk and become a alcoholic its all of a sudden because of your father and a "gene" which makes it a disease, and not your fault. If you eat and sit your rear on a couch for 18 years straight watching American Idol while eating Lays potato chips, its not your fault you got fat, it's those evil food companies.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
''The obesity epidemic is caused by a "poisoned" food supply that is altering people's biochemistry and driving them to eat more and move less"

U just can't win, even if you have a logical explanation...like stop f*cking eating so much. It's all so dramatic, and some people undoubtabley need 'assistance', but theyres only so much they can do, the cure is to close ur god damn mouth a bit more often, try taping it together every time you think about mcdonalds or fries[or whatever is considered to be ''junk food'' in the excess]

It is very rare the ol saying where there's a will[or lack of] there's a way is wrong in such cases like this. and even if it isn't, eating more # won't solve the problem, so those ''experts'' are really in the # themselves...it just isn't about the food all the time, it's about a whole damn lifestyle change...for the better

[edit on 12-8-2006 by SteveG]

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
While I agree that we cannot fully blaim the food industry it is even more ignorant to fully blaim the people themselves. While people should just stop eating so much and start exercising more, usually its not that simple for them. Often times those that are severly obese have emotional, social, or pyschological problems of some sort(even if they don't know it). Gone are the days when alcoholism and drug addiction were considered to be a lack of will power, it is now believed by most that pyschological addiction to drugs is caused by the drug itself and that there is a specific part of the brain which these drugs act on to produce pyschological addiction which compels people to act out and acquire the drug again. This is why it is often called a "disease". Maybe it might be a similar scenario with foods high in certain types of sugars.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I read an interesting article of how the food industry targets the population into altering their once healthy eating habits.

By now many of the people today are already the offspring's of the already altered diet pattern that is full of diet food, fast food and process food.

This type of foods make people crave more and more including the so call diet items.

When people stops completely their dependency of this type of foods and chose clean foods and organic foods including meats, they have a reverse effect on their overall health.

But many of the foods we eat now a day that are process become addictive and is hard for many to brake out from them just like a drug habit.

The food industry knows what they are doing but we are a money and profits orientated society so is OK to do what they do as long as it yields profits.

Remember too many healthy people means lest profits for the drugs business.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Yes, I tend to agree with this theory, unfortunately, I think there is a lot more than obesity being caused by our "poisoned" (though I use the word adulterated) food supply.

There are a lot of illnesses that are on the rise, especially those of the chronic mystery cause type, and I totally don't buy anitbiotic resistance is being caused by over prescribing, especially since that whole theory came out it is like pulling teeth to get them even when you need them. Personally I think antibiotic resistance is caused by the massive amounts of antibiotics in our meat and dairy.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I think we are all aware of the ammount of toxic rubbish in processed food. One thing I don't understand is why people still eat it? It doesn't even taste good! Too much salt, too many preservatives and chemicals...... it's just not natural.

A healthy immune system is bolstered and maintained by healthy eating, more garlic and onions..... it worked for the Egyptians who used it to keep their slaves healthy.

However, you can't blame the food or the manufacturers (they don't make you eat it). People know what's in it, and if they're too lazy to cook real food (that is cheap and healthy) then they've got no one to blame but themselves.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Poisoned food supply? sure...I guess.

...or it could be...you know...lack of excersice and piss poor eating habits.

same difference, right?

...sorry Loam...tend to agree WofW, Piss poor habits basically, TV junkies, soap operas, reality shows and all these TV shows have crappy food commercials paying for the crappy shows.

While not all Americans are unhealthy I would say about 70% are - wheeew - now that is a bit crazy.

It's all in the Education guys and parents who give a damn

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think it might be a combination of both. Especially since obesity rates and chronic health problems are increasing world wide. The garbage that is being put into food in every country is a coctail of cheap chemicals, additives, ect. Perhaps GM modifications and the garbage they feed and inject food animals with also plays a part. I know steroids can cause weight gain.

new topics

top topics

join