It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, I Just Love Iowa!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I'm so sick of these politicians going to Iowa with the explanation that they just love Iowa and go there all the time as often as possible! I can't imagine why any human would ever actually want to go to Iowa unless they needed to for business or to visit relatives, the place is just one big farm. Their only claim to fame is that they're the first state to vote on presidential party nominees...maybe that explains it

[edit on 8/12/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
A person in an office where I worked had this written on his whiteboard:

Iowa
Cold in the winter
Corn in the summer
Pigs and plain-looking girls all year long.

You're right, tho - if it weren't for the Iowa caucuses, it would be just another "one of those states that begins with a vowel" to most politicians. They wouldn't be able to find it on a map.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Whats wrong with Iowa? I'd love to go to Iowa. There really is nothing like watching huge powerful thunderstorms rolling across plains of corn or wheat fields during the summer or feeling a cool summer breeze against my skin and carrying the smell of fresh cow crap
. Sniiiif...mmm...the fresh country air.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
That's not really the point Warmonger, although I do have a certain place in my heart for really really severe thunderstorms (after my grandfather died, there was a hell of a storm and lightening struck in the street outside our house. I like to think that grandpa somehow arranged that for my amusement- it did sort of perk up the night, but I digress, as is my trademark.)

It's not that there's anything "wrong" with Iowa (well, maybe a little bit, but at least it's not Utah); the real issue is that politicians think it's cute to blow sunshine up certain places where we don't like sunshine blown when asked what they're doing in Iowa.

When I make my bid for the presidency, I will visit Iowa quite a bit I'm sure to make sure I get off to a good start with the Iowa Caucus. Afterall, New Hampshire results really aren't very compelling evidence of how a conservative is doing (They haven't picked a non-incumbent Republican nominee accurately since 1988, and I'd argue that as Reagan's VP, Bush 41 was actually semi-incumbent, which would then push their streak all the way back to 1980).
So yeah, I'd go to Iowa. And people would say, "what brings you to Iowa?" and I'd say "A compulsive need to whore myself to to this narrow portion of the electorate so that I won't fall behind in fund raising".
At least it'd be the truth.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
That's not really the point Warmonger, although I do have a certain place in my heart for really really severe thunderstorms (after my grandfather died, there was a hell of a storm and lightening struck in the street outside our house. I like to think that grandpa somehow arranged that for my amusement- it did sort of perk up the night, but I digress, as is my trademark.)

It's not that there's anything "wrong" with Iowa (well, maybe a little bit, but at least it's not Utah); the real issue is that politicians think it's cute to blow sunshine up certain places where we don't like sunshine blown when asked what they're doing in Iowa.

When I make my bid for the presidency, I will visit Iowa quite a bit I'm sure to make sure I get off to a good start with the Iowa Caucus. Afterall, New Hampshire results really aren't very compelling evidence of how a conservative is doing (They haven't picked a non-incumbent Republican nominee accurately since 1988, and I'd argue that as Reagan's VP, Bush 41 was actually semi-incumbent, which would then push their streak all the way back to 1980).
So yeah, I'd go to Iowa. And people would say, "what brings you to Iowa?" and I'd say "A compulsive need to whore myself to to this narrow portion of the electorate so that I won't fall behind in fund raising".

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

For Christ's sake, can't I say anything on this site without someone telling me I'm wrong or that I "missed the point". Grow up. Furthermore, I don't miss points, I make them! It was ment as a joke...just like many other memebers who say things for giggles.

[edit on 17-8-2006 by War_Monger]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by War_Monger
For Christ's sake, can't I say anything on this site without someone telling me I'm wrong or that I "missed the point".

Forgive my irony, but you've missed the point yet again. My point had very little to do with whether you were right or wrong. As you so eloquently put it, it was meant as a joke. As you have said yourself, many other members say things for giggles. I am infact another member. Therefore we can infer that I may occasionally say things just for giggles. A thick skin and a willingness to entertain the possibility that the person talking to you may not mean you any ill will are traits that would serve you well if you chose to adopt them. Just a suggestion.

Furthermore, I don't miss points

That makes two of us, but I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes either one of us on that.

[edit on 18-8-2006 by The Vagabond]

top topics

join