It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Oldest' star found in galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 11:52 AM
link   
By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

This is the oldest star in our Milky Way yet observed by astronomers. It could date back to the beginning of the Universe, about 14 billion years ago.
The giant star, HE0107-5240, is a rarity because unlike younger stars it is virtually metal-free. It is from the first generation of stars made from the simple elements
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 03:18 PM
link   
14 billion years old? Wow, the universe is old.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good god if this is true then this is probably the most important find in all of history!

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 03:44 AM
link   
If it's confirmed, then that'll set back these Fundie-"The universe is only 6000 years old" people, won't it?

posted on Nov, 2 2002 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You know, I am a Christian, but I know that the earth is way older that 6000 years old!!! I do wish the brothers and sisters would read and study more than just the Bible. Biblical Archeaology would be a good start as well as the history that started somewhere with the 40,000 year old existance of the Aboriginee in Austrailia. At least that would be a starting place to research all the other civilizations. God put a lot of information here for us to use and we should make really good use of the tools He gave us.
Bless their hearts!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I can't accept that the universe is only 6,000 years old. Didn't humans begin building farms and towns 8,000 years ago? That's a 2,000 year difference.

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There are thousands of discrete reasons and proofs (from pretty much every branch of science) why the universe is older than 6,000 years old. Even most serious christians don't tend to attach themselves to that idea.

TN1

posted on Jan, 10 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What is this ??
A new field of science ??
How did you estimate the age of the universe ??
Just tell me the method !!How did you end up to this amazing conclusion ??!!
6000 years old ??
I have to remind you in terms of science and only of science that the time taken by radioactive materials to radiate half of their mass-energy(called the half time),is about some thousands of years and that planets like ours ..... 4.5 billion years old!!!
The universe up to 20 billion years old!!!!

top topics

join