It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Wal-Mart Exec Sentenced for Stealing from Stores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thomas Coughlin was facing a maximum of 28 years in prison and fines of up to $1.35 million. The sentence he received Friday was 27 months home detention, a $50k fine and an order to pay $400k in restitution. U.S. District Judge Robert Dawson said Coughlin had suffered bad publicity and faced the possibility of losing his retirement benefits. He also agreed with doctor's testimony that Coughlin's medical conditions precluded prison time.

finance.comcast.net
Former No. 2 Wal-Mart Stores Inc. executive Thomas Coughlin, who pleaded guilty to stealing money, merchandise and gift cards from the retailer, was sentenced Friday in federal court to 27 months of home detention and five years probation.

Coughlin, 57, avoided any prison time, but was ordered to pay a $50,000 fine and $400,000 in restitution.

Prosecutors had asked for Coughlin to serve six months to a year in prison, but U.S. District Judge Robert Dawson agreed with a doctor who testified that Coughlin's health was too poor for the former Wal-Mart executive to enter prison.

Coughlin pleaded guilty in January to stealing items from Wal-Mart worth just a fraction of the millions of dollars he earned in salary, bonuses and stock options.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am stunned by this sentence. If it had been you or me that had committed this crime, even if we plead guilty, we would be doing hard time, regardless of medical condition, and every cent from every license plate we made would be going to pay restitution.

This is such an obvious case of wealth granting privilege that I can't help but think there must be something more to it. What kind of back door deal did this guy make. Seriously, he must have the goods on this judge or the system in order to get off so easy. I mean Ken Lay had to die (or fake his death) to get out of his sentence.

What gives?

[edit on 14/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 24-8-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

join