It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek IX?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
this post is about startrek 11 and the fact that it is actualy going to get made.
First let me point out that i like watiching TNG and their movies execpt for the generations movie and insurrection those were defenetly bad bleeeech... however i loved the last one and i'm happy to see the franchise still has a drving force but the last attempt at a series totally let me down, they should not have attempted to make a prequel instead they should have either focused on a follow up generation, or reboot of the whole thing ala galactica or starwars. sure i get that Gene wanted to create a vission of a utopian future for the species but when he died his ideas went with him and although we got the Borg which was one of the cooolest thing to happen in that universe the man that was left in charge became stale.
Now that they are planning a new movie based on the early years (again they do this ) i am left wondering if this will be the final blow to the franchise. i dont want what happed with batman and robin to happen here, (but in contrast we did get a batman begins because of that) so stop going backwards and lets keep moving forward, you don't have to even create a new show just take the people you got and continue the story because last i checked the final chapter on those characters has yet to be writen.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Is this a movie or a TV series??

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I agree though. After Nemesis they really couldn't do much. The TNG crew is all old and stuff, and no matter how much makeup you use it's unlikely to hide Brent Spiners Jowels, after all humans age, androids don't. This attempt at a prequel is a sad attempt at bringing back the audience that knows when the series is over. They did the same thing with enterprise, unsuccessfully.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
in response to the above:
They are planning on making a 11th movie based on the years before spock and kirk had met.
like i said before though i dont want a new begining on the cannon instead i want a reboot a new look and feel just like galactica. or tell stories that take place in the universe of star trek. and as far as data goes i guess he could get plastic surgery.
or it could be implied that he got different skin after the borg movie.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The last I heard, JJ Abrams is planning the 11th Star Trek film to be about Kirk's and Spock's early days in their careers, coincident with their first meeting.

There's no definitive word on whether this will be taking place at Starfleet Academy, or when Spock is assigned to the Enterprise, captained by Kirk. (I suspect the latter instead of the former; they're going for a reboot here, instead of an "origin story.")

Paramount's attitude, no doubt pitched to them by Abrams, is that the Star Trek universe had become so complicated by all its various TV and film incarnations, that they had essentially painted themselves into a creative corner. So much effort was being expended to maintain continuity (so they say), that it had become difficult-to-impossible to come up with fresh and original stories. By "rebooting" the franchise (a phrase that moviegoers will become increasingly sick of, I predict -- witness Batman, James Bond, and now Star Trek. What's next?) the filmmakers can jettison the increasingly cumbersome Trek "bible" and get back to straight-ahead sci-fi adventure stories featuring the cast of characters and ship that we all fell in love with at the beginning. At least, that's their story, and they're sticking to it.

The last I heard, Matt Damon was on board to play Captain Kirk -- allegedly with William Shatner's blessing. No other casting has been publicly discussed by the studio. It would be funny, and maybe kind of cool, to have Ben Affleck portray Mr. Spock.

For an interesting look at some of the thought processes that's been going into this, take a look at J. Michael Straczynski's pitch to Paramount from 2004. You can get a copy at my web site;
www.HMSS.com...
it makes for some pretty interesting reading, and a little bit of an education as to how products are pitched in Hollywood.

Baack

[edit on 8/15/06 by Baack]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
well i'm note really looking forwad to the new movie but if it turns into a space opera or at the very least something like first contact where they really put a lot of emation intoa critical situation then i'm all for it otherwise theres always torrents

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Baack

Actually, Spock was already on Enterprise way before Kirk so I hope they don't start screwing around with the history. If they want to make a whole different story then I hope they use different characters.
I heard about Matt Damon as Kirk. Seems like an alright choice.

new topics

top topics

join