It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Flag 2006-2 @ Nellis AFB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Red Flag 2006-2 is currently underway and has been for almost a week now, (the first exercise of 2006 was back in February).
This time around Nellis is hosting crews from Canada, France, Germany and Singapore.
Incidently, Singapore's fighter jocks have just finished up with the "Pitch Black" exercise down in Darwin, Australia, an exercise that the US, Thailand and of course Australia took part in.

But back to Red Flag:

Fighter aircraft participating in this Red Flag are F-15 Eagles (USAF & 65th Aggressor Squadron), F-16 Fighting Falcons (USAF, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Singapore), A-10 Warthog (USAF), Mirage 2000-5 (France) F-18's (Canada) and Tornados (Germany).

Each country has a particular mission in this exercise; Air to Air is France's responsibility, Canada conducts air to ground and in-air refueling, Germany carries the SEAD role while Singapore's air force is utilized for Air to Ground and search & rescue missions.
The USAF conducts all of these missions as well as providing the Aggressor F-15 and F-16's.

Also, of particular note is the use of a MQ-1A Predator and "other" UAV's.
The use of 11th Reconnaissance Squadron Predators by the Blue Forces flying against the Aggressor teams is deemed important as a point of training. This will enable the USAF's partners in the exercise to realize the value as well as get used to Predators flying in their airspace.

The Predator will utilize it's Multi-Spectral Targeting System for Helllfire missile targeting as well as a new SAR for reconnaisance.

Red Flag 2006-2 is slated to end on September 2nd.

Pictured below: (from left to right & from top to bottom)
1. Nellis AFB welcome sign
2. French Mirage 2000
3. F-15 from the 65th Aggressor Squadron
4. Predators with the 11th Reconnaissance Squadron taking off from Creech AFB
5. F-16 from the 64th Aggressor Squadron

pictures courtesy of USAF

[edit on 8-11-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I hope someone out there who lives in the area will be able to get a good view and maybe some photos of the whole thing.

I know my dad said that he saw a MIG once during the exercises, which was very exciting for him.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I know my dad said that he saw a MIG once during the exercises, which was very exciting for him.

Although Germany has brought Migs to Red Flag in recent years, this time they are apparently only bringing Tornado's. Maybe we'll get lucky though~

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I dont' suppose Russia will be there with a few Sukhois? I've always wanted to see a Su-37 in action

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Didn't Germany sell all their 29s to Poland? If so, I don't think you'll see any German MiG-29s. And you certainly won't be seeing any Sukhois from that list of participants.

Red Flags are great fun. Lots of hard flying, followed by a few foamy beverages on completion. Great times.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
I dont' suppose Russia will be there with a few Sukhois? I've always wanted to see a Su-37 in action

There are no Su-37s.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Su-37? It's a modified Super Flanker, given some TVC. I have a flight video of one doing a kulbit. Nice maneuver.

jra

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Su-37? It's a modified Super Flanker, given some TVC.

The Su-37 isn't in production. You'd only see some variant of the Su-30.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
What F-15 model is it because I haven't seen that paint scheme before?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
What F-15 model is it because I haven't seen that paint scheme before?

It's an F-15C with the 65th Aggressor Squadron... it is supposed to be a paint scheme similar to what you would find on a Mig or Sukhoi.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
An F-15 C.

So is the 65th Aggressor Squadron some kind of homeland defese squadron? Because I have very hard to see an F-15 in a MiG paint scheme bombing Iraq?

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
An F-15 C.

So is the 65th Aggressor Squadron some kind of homeland defese squadron? Because I have very hard to see an F-15 in a MiG paint scheme bombing Iraq?

Aircraft from the USAF aggressor squadrons act as an opposing force in military wargames.
USAF Aggressor squadrons study and employ potential enemy tactics, in order to give a more realistic simulation of air combat for training purposes (as opposed to training against one's own forces and tactics).

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Not to mention the guys in aggressor squadrons are a bunch of confident jocks who usually earn their right to arrogance, that is until recently when they got theirs handed to them by Raptor pilots.
Shame we wont see some of those birds in this this Red Flag.

[edit on 12-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Is it really an F-15C? It looks to me like it has a hole for a back seater? That would make it an F-15D.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Is it really an F-15C? It looks to me like it has a hole for a back seater? That would make it an F-15D.

I would have to agree with you on this matter. I checked some pictures of each model (C andD) and the picture above looks like a D.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

You may be right, the 65th Aggressor Squadron uses both C's and D's - I only saw one helmet and figured it was a C.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Aircraft serial number looks like 80-0058 which would make it an F-15D

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
You know what would be nice? If they snuck a handfull of F-22's in, in the middle of some of the air to air exercises as aggresors. Now that would be something...

[edit on 13-8-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
You know what would be nice? If they snuck a handfull of F-22's in, in the middle of some of the air to air exercises as aggresors. Now that would be something...

[edit on 13-8-2006 by skippytjc]

Hmm... maybe in a computer game.

"Fun" fantasies aside, I'm not sure if this idea has ever been proposed, but does anybody think that the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Navy should consolidate their fighter training programs? Various independent studies and research projects have been conducted and many are saying that the U.S. Air Force has a training program far superior to that of the U.S. Navy. One expert compared the Top Gun programme to a summer camp while the U.S. Air Force's fighter training programs are incredibly challenging and deadly-serious. While basic flight training should be handled by each respective service, I feel like like higher-level training should be all conducted by the U.S. Air Force since they are so much better at it. It'd be an incredible cost-cutting measure too, stop wasting budget on NAS Fallon on programmes that are not very effective and instead get all U.S. fighter pilots onto the same level of proficiency as the U.S. Air Force.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Various independent studies and research projects have been conducted and many are saying that the U.S. Air Force has a training program far superior to that of the U.S. Navy. One expert compared the Top Gun programme to a summer camp while the U.S. Air Force's fighter training programs are incredibly challenging and deadly-serious.

I'm a little surprised there haven't been any comments on your thoughts yet... Where are the Navy guys here on ATS?

While I have very little contact with Navy & Marine aviation, I have had plenty of professional contact with the USAF. Having been at 2 Red Flags and having had extended stays at Langley, WPAFB, Eglin and Nellis/Creech; and I can atest to the rigors the air crews go through in their training. HOWEVER, I can't think of too many of these USAF guys who would be able or even willing to land a fighter jet on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

The USN fighters are in many cases the US's first strike/force projection when long range bombers are not used - I wouldn't think these guys skills are inferior to their USAF brethren.

I would be interested to know the difference in the average hours of flight time a Navy plot gets compared to a USAF pilot. Anyone know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join