It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian State Bans Coke & Pepsi due to elevated pesticide residues

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I get all my fluids from beer and i trust carlsberg and tennents so no biggy...

coca cola are also responsible for drought...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well this not about "Installing some additional filtration system, this about ingredients found in the soft drinks that the Indian manufacture

Pepsi was denied access in India back in 1970s due to pepsi refused to release the list of its ingredients.

Due to free trade the pushers of Pepsi, corporate America gain access to India markets in 1988, but under Punjab government-owned, still the ingredients in the sodas were not exposed.

In 1993, the ban was lifted and the America style Pepsi was allowed in their markets.

The controversy here is about the ingredients that the big corp keeps refusing to expose.

They denied any contaminations of waters that the big companies release into the environment during processing.

Countries like India doesn't have regulations pertaining toxins in their waters.

In 2003, the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), a non-governmental organization in New Delhi, said aerated waters produced by soft drinks manufacturers in India, including multinational giants PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company, contained toxins, including lindane, DDT, malathion and chlorpyrifos — pesticides that can contribute to cancer, a breakdown of the immune system and cause birth defects. Tested products included Coke, Pepsi, 7 Up, Mirinda, Fanta, Thums Up, Limca, and Sprite. CSE found that the Indian-produced Pepsi's soft drink products had 36 times the level of pesticide residues permitted under European Union regulations; Coca Cola's 30 times. [7]CSE said it had tested the same products in the US and found no such residues. However, this was the European standard for water, not for other drinks. No law bans the presence of pesticides in drinks in India.

It seems that the soft drinks been produced in India have more toxic ingridients that those produced by other developed countries including the US.

I wonder why.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is been going on for two decades and nothing has been done, I believe like many that it has to do with the politics and big corporate money in the nation.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

sorry - but that vid is UTTER TWADDLE

thir own narrator claims that levels of pestiside RESIDUDE in soft drinks are 11.85 PPB - thats parts per BILLION

that will not have a pesticidal effect when spryed on crops - actually i would expect spraying such a hi sugrar solution to ATTRACT pests and vermin

lastly - i wouls like to know what pesticide costs > 4 times as much as cola`s

i have compared prices here [ UK ] and prsticide concentrate is cheaper than cola - as it comes in 205 litre drums - the diluted solution for spaying is pennies / acre

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by prevenge

sorry - but that vid is UTTER TWADDLE

thir own narrator claims that levels of pestiside RESIDUDE in soft drinks are 11.85 PPB - thats parts per BILLION

that will not have a pesticidal effect when spryed on crops - actually i would expect spraying such a hi sugrar solution to ATTRACT pests and vermin

lastly - i wouls like to know what pesticide costs > 4 times as much as cola`s

i have compared prices here [ UK ] and prsticide concentrate is cheaper than cola - as it comes in 205 litre drums - the diluted solution for spaying is pennies / acre

here you go..
(aptly titled) - Ignorant Ape..

Pesticides Manufacturers & Formulators Association of India
Due to yield loss in crop varies from 30-50% from planting to storage due to less plant protection measures, which is a result of high cost of pesticides which is levied with 16% Excise duty, which has made pesticides costly and out of reach of farmers due to high cost

unsustainable cost of common traditional pesticides....

vs

"Coke is available everywhere. But the price of coke is not same everywhere. So i want to know how much coke costs in your country? Please state you country.

I am from Bangladesh. And our currency is TAKA. And a coke costs 24 Taka which is about $0.35 US$.

Now tell how much is a coke costs in your country?

How much does a coke costs in your country?

A litre of Coca Cola or A Litre of Petrol

while this is divergent upon our current discourse in debate..
here is a bit more of the situation in India whereas the pesticide - human-poisoning situation...
www.highbeam.com...
See more articles from International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health

Use of Pesticides and Its Impact on Health of Farmers in South India www.ijoeh.com...

The relationship between extent of pesticide use and signs and symptoms of illnesses due to exposure was assessed in a cross-sectional survey of 631 farmers (537 men and 94 women) in South India. Responses to questionnaires showed that 433 farmers (68.6%) sprayed pesticides themselves and were thus directly exposed. More than 75% used moderately or highly hazardous pesticides; 88% used no protection while handling pesticides. About 50% of sprayers mixed different brands. Retailers were the source of information about pesticides for 56%. The farmers reported excessive sweating (36.5%), burning/stinging/itching of eyes (35.7%), dry/sore throat (25.5%), and excessive salivation (14.1%), all ...

I'd love to elaborate, maybe someone else could go in depth and dig up the exact price per litre of crop pesticide vs price of coke...

I doubt the coke price would compare to the pesticide price ..

I'm tired and don't want to battle with your little ape-mind.

People of the world.. please aid me in this or not..

for it is to secure an ape-minded twat with obvious data..
that he already knows.. taking us for a loop ..
or an ignorant fool that will never be cured of ignorance so there is no point.

-

[edit on 16-12-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

you're real bright.. just not.. you know.. sparkling bright.

I don't see any need to get so personal, pretty immature

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sugar is what is keeping the bugs off, we use it this way all the time and have for years.
We just use powdered sugar to do this.
It works well and kills or keeps off most all bugs.
This is the what is working not pesticides in the drink.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join