It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian State Bans Coke & Pepsi due to elevated pesticide residues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Two Indian states have recently banned the sale of Coke and Pepsi products at government run schools, colleges, and hospitals. This follows the announcement of a New Delhi based research group claims that pesticide levels were some 24 times over acceptable Indian limits. There are now nine Indian states in all that have some sort of ban in effect on Coke and Pepsi. Similar allegations were raised against Coke and Pepsi about three years ago. Despite the fact that many soft drinks in India have elevated pesticides, PepsiCo claims there products are perfectly safe, while business groups want the decision reversed, fearing the ban will harm the investment climate.

www.msnbc.msn.com
So far, seven Indian states have banned the sale of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite and other brands from Coca-Cola and PepsiCo at government-run schools, colleges and hospitals after a New Delhi-based research group said last week that the soft drinks have pesticides levels that far exceed national standards.

But the Confederation of Indian Industry and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry — which together cover more than 90 percent of Indian businesses — said the moves could hurt the broader economy, slowing foreign investment into the country.

Sales of the two companies have been hit since the Center for Science and Environment said last week that its tests on 57 samples of soft drinks made by the two companies revealed they contained residues of pesticides 24 times higher than the Indian standards.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Soft drinks weren't available in schools when I was a kid, and I personally see no reason that they should necessarily be available to children in school nowadays. For the most part my sentiments are echoed by the housewife in Cochin, Kerala’s port capital who was quoted. “It is a good decision. My children have been addicts of Pepsi and Coke. Now, I can teach them how to drink water.”

And this is how I feel even without the idea notion that pesticides could exceed legal limits by some 2 and half orders of magnitude. I find it particularly interesting that corporate and business interests are crying foul, claiming that either the products are perfectly safe, or expressing concern regarding the 'investment climate.' This is one of those cases where caution should be taken, that is if there's evidence that pesticide residues are elevated, the burden of proof lies with demonstrating they're not. The ban shouldn't wait until elevated residues are confirmed by a second test. It seems like common sense to me.

Perhaps it is further noteworthy that Coke and Pepsi officials in India are avoiding journalists, while other international spokespersons are claiming their products are safe worldwide. Again, the facts aren't in yet, but in this instance some type of response seems warranted. While the investment climate is a legitimate concern, it shouldn't take precedence over the health of the general population. Furthermore, corporations shouldn't balk at their government agencies insisting their products be safe.

Related News Links:
www.breitbart.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cbsnews.com
www.cbc.ca

[edit on 11/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Huh?

There is 24 times the legal limit of pesticides, and its still legal to sell everywhere except at universities and such?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Good thing I do not drink soda anymore. I am glad to see information like this exists and yet so old.

Down with Soda!

Also, the fact they are getting them out of schools is great. High sugar amounts and all are bad for the little ones.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mattison0922

Where's the FDA on this one? I know how busy they are shutting down companies that supply herbs and minerals. Assuming the source is credible I find it very disconcerting that health warnings are being issued against products that Americans consume on a daily basis especially when we have an agency whose sole purpose is to protect Americans against unsafe products.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The FDA isn't there for the consumers. It's there to protect the profits of the food, drug and medical community.
You and I don't matter to them.
Look into the origins of the FDA. It's not what people think.

As far as banning a drink with 24 times the legal limit of pesticides - good for them.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Man... I think I'm going to go grab a coke out of the fridge...

(leaves to get it)

(Pops it open.... ffffzzzzzzzzzzz)

(drinks it down... gulp, gulp, gulp)

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...

Hopefully the Coke here in Atlanta is a bit better. Since all the executives drink it.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
as AFAIK all pepsi and coke is LOCALLY bottled by franchised distributers - i have to ask , is this a global or local issue :

is the alleged contamination in the syrup concentrate or local water ?

the article only mentions that the retail product [ bottled ] is allegedly contaminated

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
reply to post by mattison0922

Where's the FDA on this one? I know how busy they are shutting down companies that supply herbs and minerals. Assuming the source is credible I find it very disconcerting that health warnings are being issued against products that Americans consume on a daily basis especially when we have an agency whose sole purpose is to protect Americans against unsafe products.

This was in India correct? I am pretty sure the FDA does not span beyond the U.S.

reply to post by HunkaHunka

Don't count on it.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

This was in India correct? I am pretty sure the FDA does not span beyond the U.S.

I'm pretty sure you are correct however I believe Coke and Pepsi span beyond India.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
This is disgusting.

I saw a documentary on this three years ago where Coca Cola "promised" to look into the allegations.

One plant was dumping raw waste chemicals into the local drinking water of the surrounding villages.

I probably don't need to tell you that I removed Coke from my life after seeing that.

This brand should face a boycott everywhere, but as usual, until it is your children developing cancer, being born with defects or facing other serious health issues in the future, you'll still carry on drinking it and pretending your money isn't supporting this.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Soft drinks are mostly produced within each country using local water source. I am pretty sure the bottling factory is in India and they certainly dont have a very clean water supply.

I have travelled a lot and tasted soft drinks in many countries, Coka Cola being my favorite I can say it almost never tastes the same. It is by far best from my home country Iceland. I honestly cant understand why people drink coke in some countries because it simply tastes like rotten chloride mixed coffee with soda in it.

Edit: Is this what Coke is becoming?

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
funny thing is.. dunno if you've covered this in your thread yet..

but alot of indian farmers actually buy tons of bottles of coke or pepsi..

and SPRAY their crops with it because it's got more pesticide in it per volume than the expensive pesticides they have to buy ...

man the irony...

-

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Wow Im glad I dont drink coke or pepsi. Thats just crazy talk about some cancer waiting to happen.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
funny thing is.. dunno if you've covered this in your thread yet..

but alot of indian farmers actually buy tons of bottles of coke or pepsi..

and SPRAY their crops with it because it's got more pesticide in it per volume than the expensive pesticides they have to buy ...

man the irony...

-

Hehheheheheheee Brilliant, thanks for that

On a more serious note I wouldn't be surprised if this is a ploy to get some leverage of both companies in India as they have had a tough time in certain states where they have been causing environmental problems by using to much water and affecting the local villages. So this could just be the Indian gov's way of applying pressure. The reason I say this is that because this is actually damming of the Indian gov as the source water (which they are responsible for) is clearly 'crap'!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Now that's very interesting.
Especially when you consider that Indra Nooyi, Chairwoman, President and CEO of PepsiCo is from India herself.
She has also is a member of the Bilderberg group.

Indra Nooyi Wiki entry

I used to work for them by another name at a Walker's crisp factory here in England, packing Snack-a-jacks on 12-hour shifts. Needless to say I felt that the outstanding cleanliness and horrible chemically smell couldn't really be that good, and upon researching who I was actually working for soon left, amongst other factors.

All international corporations are up to stuff like this in my opinion, hence why if you want to help humanity, start boycotting them now and resort to healthy, natural, locally-made (if possible) produce that keeps the profits in the little people economy, as opposed to funneling it away to some faceless Global Corporation.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Wow, it figures huh?

I don't drink soda anymore either.

We had a Toothpaste concern in the UK last year, found engine coolant among other toxins which were imported from China.

Toothpaste

The question is....."Is nothing safe anymore?" Unless however people grow their own produce. :/

[edit on 16-12-2008 by BlackMumba]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

My question exactly...

For those of you that don't know how Coca-Cola and Pepsi companies work, they only produce the syrup that goes into the sodas and then sell it to bottling companies to be mixed with their water and bottled. So what is in it depends on what is in your drinking water.

Fun Fact: You can actually buy straight coke syrup from pharmacies as a method for upset stomachs.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If my mind does fail me, this is been happening in India for many years, and always the government and the big corporate machine wins over he peoples health.

I will try to see if I can come out with some links to their fight in years past.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This speaks more to the basic quality of Indian water than it does to the antics of Pepsico or the conspiratorial activities of the FDA.

Install some additional filtration, big deal.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
This speaks more to the basic quality of Indian water than it does to the antics of Pepsico or the conspiratorial activities of the FDA.

Install some additional filtration, big deal.

right right...

as opposed to like.. PROZAC being found in your fluoridated drinking water right?
news.bbc.co.uk...

yeah that's what I thought..

you're real bright.. just not.. you know.. sparkling bright.

-

[edit on 16-12-2008 by prevenge]

<<   2 >>

join