It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the ultimate Concealed carry Gun?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I would like to get everyones opinion on this subject. What is the ultimate concealed carry gun? I have a few requirements.

1. Must be real (no dreaming here)
2. Must be available on the open market.
3. Must be concealable

If pics are available please postem while you got em.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
kimber ultra carry II 45

I don't think anything can beat it when it comes to quality and accuracy.

what mine looks like
www.ericvonwade.com...&Aparition.jpg

[edit on 8/11/2006 by Termite197]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here is mine

Kimber's Ultra Carry II

Kimber

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Termite197
kimber ultra carry II

I don't think anything can beat it when it comes to quality and accuracy.

I think you were reading my mind.....

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Tom's Free Advice Store...we're always open!

The problem is, there IS no ultimate sidearm. There are many, and depending on the situation, you may find you need different sidearms to fit what you expect to engage.

For example, this is one of my faves:

This is racked out, but if you fold the stock, use the short magazine and the short barrel, it becomes an amusing sidearm. It never jams, feeds 9mm and fits in an ALICE really snug. You can't, however, stuff it in your pants, and it tends to make police act quite oddly.

Therefore, the questions:

What sort of shot are you?
Male? Female?
How big are your hands? Wrists? Forearms? (in general)
Do you have any sidearm training?
Where will you be packing it? Car glove box? Side holster? Butt pancake holster? Purse?
Are you going to put time into maintenance? Do you know how?
What time of day are you considering you're most likely to use it?
Are you going to be in crowds with it?
What distance do you envision your shots to be, should you have to use it?
In your situation, are we talking engaging multiple targets, or one mugger?
Are you expecting your assailants to be wearing body armor?
What city and state do you live in?

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
another good one to look into is the Sig p229.

It is another really good wuality gun that you can't go wrong with.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Tom's Free Advice Store...we're always open!

Therefore, the questions:

What sort of shot are you?
Male? Female?
How big are your hands? Wrists? Forearms? (in general)
Do you have any sidearm training?
Where will you be packing it? Car glove box? Side holster? Butt pancake holster? Purse?
Are you going to put time into maintenance? Do you know how?
What time of day are you considering you're most likely to use it?
Are you going to be in crowds with it?
What distance do you envision your shots to be, should you have to use it?
In your situation, are we talking engaging multiple targets, or one mugger?
Are you expecting your assailants to be wearing body armor?
What city and state do you live in?

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Tom Bedlam]

Wow thats alot of questions i like it.
1. Male
2. Average hands average wrists and above average????

3.Sidearm training yes.. and plenty of large caliber long range training
4.Butt pancake.. Purse only on saturday nights

5.Maintanance sure i think i can handle it.
6.What time of day will i need it???? If i knew that i would be there at that time.
7.Yes i will be around crowds
8.max 40feet
9.who knows how many perps there will be. hopefully none
10.Body armour i hope not if they are i will be in trouble as they will be pros or well kitted thugs.
11.The Big D in the Only state TEXAS Baby......

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Heh. Not being nosy, it's just if you're a tiny woman with no training I'd probably recommend you go get a class first and try some out for size.

Also some locales are pissy about what you can carry.

If you're carrying it in a glove box or won't maintain it, then a semi-auto is a bad deal.

If you've got big hands, and you're a bad shot, then a Thunder 5 with bird shot is your friend:

Oddly, that works for body armor too, or if you think you'll have to fire from a car, just aim at their face and let fly.

Anyways, back to business:

For 9mm or .40S&W, (and .357SIG they say), there's a new 3" Springfield Armory XD that's out, have you seen it?

That Kimber is a nice pistol. I favor the Springfield XD .45ACP's at the moment, although I have a 1911-A1 TRP as well that I like.

No exposed hammer, and it's small for a .45ACP.

Tritium sights for sure, you can get them from SA pre-installed.

Are you an IDPA member, by the way? (proselytizing mode: ON)

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
the xd looks good
shame we cant buy hand guns in the uk

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
with out a doubt, Springfield Armory Sub-Compact XD Pistol.

10+1 shot 9mm
great "Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8 Night Sights"
20.5 oz

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
If you are on a budget, the Kel-Tec P11 is one of the best conceal carry guns I know of, a Makarov PM pistol is also an excellent choice, ammo is a bit more expensive than a 9mm though.

If you are not on a budget, i'd go for the proven PKK in the largest caliber you can find, 380 is as big as a PKK gets unfortunatly, I doubt a .45 in such a small package will be comfortable in a self-defense situation, let alone carry the heavy thing, a XD9/40 would do quite fine in a small frame, IMO.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

3" Springfield Armory XD

Hmmm it looks quite nice i am going to check on pricing. i also like that Thunder 5 it neets to be checked into also. I am needing to make a decision soon. Thanks for the info the Thunder may actually be the way to go i like the concept.

E-

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Single-shot, .22 bore, short.

I've seen ball point pens that use this.

True you can't fight a war, but you could stop someone.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bothered
Single-shot, .22 bore, short.

I've seen ball point pens that use this.

True you can't fight a war, but you could stop someone.

I have had a few .22 mag pistols in my time they are very nice .22 short is an excellent weapon but i think i would like something a little harsher.

E-

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I have a T5, it looks like a flare pistol. I keep it in the car, you can't break it with a hammer, it can't jam and you don't really need to aim it. I keep it loaded with bird shot and .410 slugs.

I also have a Keltec P11 (Clyde?) and it is quite small. It's actually too small for my hands, and I feel sort of uncomfortable with it. The XD's have a nice squeeze safety as well as a trigger lock; you are a little less likely to accidentally shoot your arse off. Also the XD's fit my hand better than the Keltec.

As with all these, the best thing is to mosey to the gun shop and give it a try on the range.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The best is very subjective, but in my view the best is any weapon small enough to be concealed and is of a large enough caliber to get the job done.

Consider this one:

Ruger SP101

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i prefer the tried and true browning hi power. 13 rounds (14 with one chambered), easily concealable, and just enough power to stop a threat. my other favorite is the new s&w 386 pd seven shot revolver....shoots 357 or 38+p (i'd recommend the +p...kick like an SOB with 357). that one will fit it your pants pocket, and it's made from composites so its extremely light.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Depends what your preferences are - SA, DA/SA, Safe Action, LEM, DAK etc for the trigger, and do you have a caliber floor, for some nothing less than .45 will do.

A lot of people find that the hassle associated with carrying even a moderately sized handgun in an IWB strong side holster is too much and they stop carrying as a result.

Personally, I carry a hard chrome P-3AT (7 shot .380ACP) in an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster, and I will be stepping up to the new Kel Tec PF-9 (9mm) when it is released in a months time.

With pocket carry you always carry because it's so convenient, and while I would prefer to carry the XD45 I leave in the bedside drawer for night callers, the 7 rounds of flat nose of Spanish police surplus Santa Barbara flat nose FMJ I carry in the P-3AT is quite capable of spoiling any muggers day - I avoid expanding rounds in sub-caliber guns.

Ultimately, whether you take my pocket carry recommendation, or go with a wrist cannon, make sure it facilitates carry on a regular basis, otherwise there's no point.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Retseh has a valid point. If you plan to carry it daily, a pocket carry is a great option. Especially if you are not 6'11". The .380 is perfect for that. Not to heavy, and not too small. For me the .357 or .45 is just too heavy for me to carry all the time.

If you don't intend to carry it daily, the Springfield XD9802HCSP06 .40 S&W 3" or the XD9801HCSP06 9 mm 3" is great for several reasons. For one, its ambidexterous. (I'm a lefty) It's only 20 oz. Its made in the U.S. and designed to last for years in tough conditions.

It's small enough for your spouse to use. Sometimes when we go fishing/camping, I hand it off to the wife to protect herself with while I go walking with my Tauras .45. In this rural setting you can use the .40 200gr FMJ ammo from DoubleTap. It probably wont stop a determined black bear, but it would put a dog, cougar, or maybe a mad buck down if needed.

On the other hand if I need to be in a rough city area, the 3" XD is still perfect for me. It won't penetrate body armor, but the 9 mm or .40 is less likely to go thru a wall and kill a bystander. Besides you get jumped in the city, do you really want to use your split second to take the manual safety off? The XD does not have a manual safety, its built into both the grip, and the trigger. Just pull it point and shoot.

One thing I don't like is the 5-7 lb. trigger. If I have to pull it in a hurry, I want a short soft trigger pull. But Springfield will customize it for a hundred bucks, or do more for a couple hundred.

PDF
Combat action job (4-4.5 lb. pull. Suitable for carry $ 95.00

or

Combat action job (4-4.5 lb. trigger pull); reduced overtravel; Springfield Custom fiber optic sights; install extended mag release; inspect entire pistol; test. $215

Best of all, it comes with most of the accessories.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The one in my pocket.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join