It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

with all the stuff going on in the world why does news choose to report on sports?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
instead of hearing about the innocent babies bieng killed in lebbonon. instead they choose to cover which baseball team won? who cares! why would they waste 1/3 of the news on sports when there are more important stories that they could be reporting on? i think all all sports should be cancelled untill there is a lasting peace then we can play games. these sport players are making millins of dollars while there people going to bed hungry thats really messed up. are you part of it?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Because they need to feed people with kind of useless things like Paris Hilton and Tiger Woods to stop people of asking the real questions that will saves their lives and liberties. Sports are fun but when the world is leading where is going, we need to stop this useless stuff and inform us from the real things.

Just my 2cents.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Vitchilo]

CX

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I guess theres only so much you can go on and on about conflicts that are going on in the world, and people still want to hear about other news as well.

Some peoples lives and careers revolve around sports and other apparently less important topics.

Most news networks i see do drop a lot of other less important news items when they are reporting on things like the middle east and similar subjects, i mean every time i've turned the tv on lately it's been all about the middle east, so i don't think they are talking about other things over the important stuff.

CX.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
CX put it in a nice way...

IOW Fact: There is a multi-Billion $$$ Sports betting industry in N.A.

as it is, MLB is the national pastime, and there is a sense of normal living
and security, even in troubling times, if the people have a diversion of sorts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
on the cynical side;
isn't the USA considered a society of the self-indulgent & self-absorbed?
by a lot of the rest of the world ? fancy clothes, fancy cars, cavernous houses,
a generally overweight population as others suffer famine, etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'm trying to understand what the original poster is suggesting. Are you suggesting the news should be nothing but what you deem "evil" and that no one should consider the more pleasant things in life as long as some type of injustice is going on in the world?

Please explain how you think things should be.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
ever since Roman times 'sports and games' have been used as a standard ploy to distract the masses.

To quote Valis 'The Empire never ended'

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
when the world is at peace then the games or sports can resume but for now its just distracting us from whats really going on

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm always amazed by this.

I don't get my news from Google, but I like to check it every couple of days to see rough numbers on stories being reported across the world. On any given day, there are several important stories, with around 1000 articles each, and a number VERY important stories, with a hundred or less, sometimes as few as half a dozen. By comparison, there are often 5-6 thousand articles pertaining to a single sports story.

This speaks to the demand of the consumer, for one. But it also reinforces our goofy priorities. Remember the Roman games, and the purpose they served. The crowd is fat, and amused. They're not thinking about politics, or business, or international affairs. They're uninformed and impotent, and that's just how the upper-class likes 'em.

top topics

join