It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what are you doing to make the world a better place?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
me personally i stopped eating meat a couple of days ago, i have been a big meet eater most of my life but i have come to realize we do not need to eat meet to survive. people say well were are you gonna get all your protien and nutrients? cows eat nothing but grass and become huge yet they arent hurting anything by eating grass.

i also will never get into a fight for the rest of my life i now realize wars only make things worse you can not fight evil with evil it will only make it stronger. i suggest everyone to seriuosly think about what they are doing to make the world a better place? share people share

[edit on 11-8-2006 by truthseekerpeacemaker]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
come on people what are you doing to make the world a better place or i am i the only one trying to make a change?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So let me get this straight...you have stopped eating meat due to the fact that a cow eats grass and nothing else??? Amazing. In what way do you think that not eating meat is going to make the world better? So we can save the chickens? I mean, since they are endangered and all...And cows, they're even worse off!!! Tell me how one person (you) not eating meat is going to make the world better? The fact of the matter is, if we didn't kill certian animals an "x" number of times then they would most likely overpopulate since the majority of the preditors that hunt those animals are held in captivity or arn't around anymore in the same region due to land devolopement. Poeple have been eating meat for the entire existence of humankind. It doesn't make the earth worse off or better off.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Humans are omnivores. Not herbivores. Eat meat, damnit. Cows aren't made for eating and digesting meat. The last time they ate meat (their fellow cow) they went mad. So yeah.

I'm making the world a better place by making sure I become the Supreme Emperor of Earth. Trust me. You'll like my world better than this one.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
WHAT WOULD YOUR WORLD LOOK LIKE?

I ALSO BELIEVE EATING MEAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CANCER

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well, excuse me if I don't join your no-meat crusade, but I am doing the following (based on my own set of values) to HOPEFULLY help society:

1. Sharing my value system with my children,
2. Giving 10% of my income to help others,
3. Driving a lower mpg car,
4. trying desparately to live every day "better" than the day before (based on my own set of values) - some times I fail, but I get up the next day and try again.
5. Pushing (in my professional life) a focus on technology, products, methods and just plain old everyday business to combat GHGs and try to attack the problem of Global Warming.
6. I come here every day and try to give something to this community - which means the world to me, so I hope, at least every other day, I meet that goal.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Cows get big from eating grass because they have four stomachs to digest it with and thus extract all the nutrients.

However, that said, why would you use the cow as a role model for survival? Cows are big, fat, and stupid. Not my ideal of a role model.

Plus, if you go vegetarian, you need to find a source of vitamin B-12, since it is not found in plant matter, only meat, eggs, and dairy. Lack of vitamin B-12 screws up your brain, and causes you to become slower, more exhausted, and have more mental difficulties. Irreversible brain damage if it goes on too long.

So, what am I doing to make the world a better place?

1. I recycle
2. I garden organically
3. I refrain from driving places when I can walk instead.
4. I treat all animals I come into contact with with charity.
5. I bug my senators and congressmen with demands for change or action regarding various issues.
6. I spread knowledge of things seldom spoke of in the media to anyone who will listen.
7. I do not surrender myself to total base materialism and do not engage in mindless consumerism.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What do I do to make the world a better place?

Well, quite a few things.

1. I recycle.
2. I choose to walk, even if it's a bit out of the way.
3. I'm buying a hybrid that gets 40mpg.
4. I don't use products that pollute the environment if I don't have to.
5. I come up with progressive and positive solutions to problems.
6. The Commonwealth (see sig link).
7. I advocate technological advancement, and science and logic over religion.
8. I share my ideas with those interested.
9. I vote.
10. I don't support the militaey industrial complex.
11. And Theranims (also see sig.)

That's pretty much it.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
oh let's see.

I do walk a lot as well so that's good I suppose. I try to make those I deal with through out the day laugh just a little, always nice to brighten someone elses day.

Oh I stopped doing that stabbing thing any time someone says the word Pelican.

I also no longer ask people to pull my finger. I discreetly pull it myself but not as often as I used to as I'm trying to contribute less to green house gasses.
Which is another good thing you must admit.

I do eat meat but only the surly animals. I've never eaten a human that's gotta count for something.

Oh I turned down the money the government offered me to develop a death ray powered by love. Which of course came out of my research into a sarcasm machine that runs on irony...but that's a different story.

Also I've halted all research into my clean burning fuel engine. Because evidently createing a clean burning fuel out of baby seal blood is some how horrific. Though the fact that the entire engine was made out of pandas didn't seem to bother anybody at DARPA.

Well that's what I'm doing to help make the world a better place.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
1. ) I have also quit eating meat two weeks ago or so. I never thought I'd go vegeterian, I just plainly LOVE meat, be it döner kebap, hamburgers, chicken...

I could quote a few reasons, but they're not very rational, it's more... a feeling, just a notion. Firstly, you have to kill an animal. I don't really care if it's killed quick and painlessly in the slaughterhouse or even if it is sweetly sung into death on a meadow. You have to kill. Yes, you have to "kill" that carrot too and I know plants have feelings too. But just ask a small child if it would rather kill a pig or pick a cherry. Secondly, it is uneconomic. For one single kilogram of meat, you have to feed that herbivore seven to sixteen kilograms of wheat. You need 2,000 to 15,000 litres of water for one kilogram of meat, for wheat it's only 1000 litres. 90% of all soy beans are fed to animals, and this soy is imported from developing countries. Large parts of the tropical rainforest, our "green lung", were destroyed to grow food for animals. 80% of agricultural space serves the purpose to feed and kill animals. On one hectare of land, you can produce 22,500 kilograms of potatoes, but just 185 kilograms of beef. One calculation says if only 10% of all Americans stopped eating meat, 1 billion humans could be fed. (I had to look these calculations up, although I knew the facts. Now that I see the plain numbers, I'm even more convinced).

...AND...

...every time a cow farts, the methane makes the greenhouse effect become worse.

To put it in other, more drastic words: eating meat is killing humans in the third world. Meat lovers won't want to hear that. And I won't pretend I'm sort of "enlightened" or so. I still have a bad feeling about milk, cheese and eggs, but I'll not go so far as to abstain from yoghurt; and I won't throw my fathers leather jacket away so soon although an animal had to die for it.

Thirdly, meat isn't really healthy.

2.) I don't even have a car. I won't condemn cars, as I work as a cashier at a gas station and I'd loose my job if there weren't plenty of cars that would consume our natural resources and poison the very air that we breathe. And I know many of my costumers really need their cars. If something is farther away than 30 mins. of healthy walking, I'm going by bus, train or the Wuppertaler "Schwebebahn" (the oldest on earth). Again, I know that if I were a world saving hero I should look for another job, but alas... this is Germany, so I'm glad to have one.

3.) I smoke tobacco. In Germany, cigarettes and tobacco are taxed to finance the war against terror, so I'm doing my patriotric duty by killing my lungs (don't take this one too seriously, though. To be honest, I tried to quit but it's more difficult than with meat, pot and coffee alltogether) :-)

4.) I talk to people. It is a futile attempt, it may seem, often even on the internet. Either they think I'm just plain nuts or they're close-minded, I don't know what it is, the truth may be in between. Maybe people just don't want to talk about "let's save the world". It's okay for them to make a donation here and there, thus buying their conscience free.

One week ago, I met a neighbor who told me happily she were high on drugs (and it was NOT marijuana, I'd never have objected). I hardly knew her, so I just said I had found some other very fine drug, and that it's secret still. She begged me to tell her.

I told her to meditate, and how to. Guess what. Today she told me it worked and she hadn't even touched a bottle of beer since, let alone H. I couldn't believe that. I still can't, but still it makes me somewhat happy.

Conclusion: Talking to people helps save the world.

5.) I make music.

6.) (still working on that) Find a girl, settle down, do my demographic duty, raise a few children, teach them by the ways of love and coexistence and trust them to do better where I have utterly failed.

EDIT: I hate my English.

[edit on 12-8-2006 by Akareyon]

new topics

top topics

join