It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America soon to get jet/humvee mounted lasers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Take a look at this, "solid state lasers to be in service within 10 years". If they release this to the press i can only imagine whats on board some of the secret black project planes.

www.cbsnews.com...

Below is a pic of a current chemical laser.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ok THAT looks like something from the death star.

i use to think watching GI joe with the laser rifles was fiction but it seems more of a real possiblity than it did way back then.

at least if you get shot your wounds will be cauterized! lol

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Bah, G.I. Joe had laser rifles ecause it was a means of censorship

I can imagine in the near future laser batteries setup the coasts in the U.S. for defense purposes, but offense uses is scary.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Haha. No more messy cleanup.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Haha. No more messy cleanup.

yeah you wont bleed to death but they'll cut you in half.

carnage takes on a whole new meaning.

although laser batteries on the coasts would be cool. might that be the NEW missle defense system in 15-20 years?

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
que the imperial march...

dum dum dum, dah dee dum, dah dee dum...

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The laser in the picture provided by Kobyoshimaru is Northrop Grumman�s Tactical High Energy Laser.
A little about the THEL ...
A mobile version is currently being tested; it is called the Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser (MTHEL), developed under a cooperative effort with the Israel Ministry of Defense.
Operationally it can defend against rockets, artillery, short-range missiles, UAVs, Cruise Missiles, and air-to-surface munitions (bombs).
The MTHEL Test Bed has shot down a salvo of 28 captured Katyusha rockets in a highly successful surprise attack test.
Additionally the MTHEL Test Bed shot down five artillery shells fired in succession. US Government officials who have witnessed these tests have called this capability "revolutionary."
Currently the THEL is rather large, incorporating two 18-wheeler trailers � but the MTHEL is considerably smaller in infrastructure and Northrop is corroborating with Boeing on the airborne version � currently being developed to reside in the nose of a 747.

Just thought I�d give a little specific background on this unit.

intelgurl

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
YES!!

I take it Kobayashimaru is a star trek fan?
I'm going to be first in line to buy a personal phaser rifle!

Just think, years ago people barely imagined using mounted laser cannons, now, we are going to have giant death rays at our disposal!

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They've been working on military-grade lasers for a while(as is proven by the pic of the THEL).

It's probable that they're going to be incapable of scaling the laser down to gun-sized things for a while, so the ground-based lasers should be used for anti-tank purposes. Also, it seems likely that the jet-mounted lasers will primarily be for anti-missile usage.

Cool stuff.

Signing off,
HLW

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Intelgurl,

good work.

how can someone be so cute and smart too?

guess they are gonna make some big frocken laser diodes now!

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Nor will lasers be holster-sized � the smallest to date is the size of a commercial jetliner.

It's gonna be a while until it's conventional. I mean, just look at the size of them, not a very hard target to kill. Considering this is new techonology, it will take a long time until prices go down so they can be of practical use.

Look at this link. Finally, a defense against aliens.

antigray.tripod.com...

Article from 6 years ago, when laser weapons were still a theory.

search.csmonitor.com...

But look at this artist rendition of a space based laser!

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
And check out the Airborne laser. I also heard that the AC-130 which currently houses a 105mm howitzer will be up-graded with a laser system similar to this all though it would be much smaller.

www.airbornelaser.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
i saw a documentry on these the other day looks interesting.

it showed one of them intercepting and destroying a tomahawk cruise missile

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
The laser in the picture provided by Kobyoshimaru is Northrop Grumman�s Tactical High Energy Laser.
A little about the THEL ...
A mobile version is currently being tested; it is called the Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser (MTHEL), developed under a cooperative effort with the Israel Ministry of Defense.
Operationally it can defend against rockets, artillery, short-range missiles, UAVs, Cruise Missiles, and air-to-surface munitions (bombs).
The MTHEL Test Bed has shot down a salvo of 28 captured Katyusha rockets in a highly successful surprise attack test.
Additionally the MTHEL Test Bed shot down five artillery shells fired in succession. US Government officials who have witnessed these tests have called this capability "revolutionary."
Currently the THEL is rather large, incorporating two 18-wheeler trailers � but the MTHEL is considerably smaller in infrastructure and Northrop is corroborating with Boeing on the airborne version � currently being developed to reside in the nose of a 747.

Just thought I�d give a little specific background on this unit.

intelgurl

HELIX( spelling?) seems to be a fairly related subject to this matter...
Helix is a militarized defence system, a work in progress due to it's inaccuratcy...
it uses chemically generated laser streams so as to provide a cheaper means of detonating incoming missiles (used during "state of alert" after 9/11)
it could be used as an anti-sBL defence system
(i think most could, providing the coordinates proved correct)
(sBL = space based laser)
-------------------------------------------------

now this bit...i like!!

as 4 the ruski corner we have the U.S.S.R's:
polius
i think this one runs off nuclear power.
troisk?
a 1000kw laser...worried about meteorites? move to moscow.

two examples of the U.S.S.R's wreath if messed with

[Edited on 1-11-2003 by Cyrus]

[Edited on 1-11-2003 by Cyrus]

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Of course, everyone remember, this only what they tell us they have the capability of.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
www.users.qwest.net...

Now..that's one bad arse tank...eh?

[Edited on 1-11-2003 by xenongod]

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Sure lasers are fast and all, but what is the destructive capability behind these units? At least as powerful as conventional bullets/shells or a range of magnitude more powerful?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Text Green Saw a strange armored vehicle in 83 or 84 maybe on our way to mexico. As we were passing Camp Pendleton at the LCAC facility although it was there yet, I saw maybe a half dozen of these six wheeled armored vehicles on the beach for a moment down the many ravines that allow you to see past the bluffs or cliffs along the freeway. This has always puzzled me because the Lav wasn't operational yet and it has eight wheels not six. It wasn't a v300 either because the wheels were evenly spaced not two axles in rear and separated one out front. Could have been a french chassis but, anyway they had domes on top that looked just like the picture of the lav drawing with A.T.L. attached. We ( yes I had a friend with me) got off at the next ramp we could and backtracked to get as near as possible to the frontage road near beach and at the end of ramp off of fwy we were told to get back on fwy by marines the one at my door had a shotgun if I remember correctly they were MP's not just grunts( My Dad was a marine) Could have been Roland air defense version testing or "something else". TRW is just down the beach in Capistrano could have been not maintainable or too pricey or......

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I love to see one of these replace the 105 MM howitzer on the AC-130 Gunships. By the way the AC-130U is probably the most deadly weapons platform on earth. Not including nukes of course.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Would a laser cauterize the wound?

So if an arm was lopped off, would the person survive instad of dying of blood loss? (supposing shock didn't kill them first)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join