It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah is a Cult

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I have had a discussion back and forth with a number of people over the years about the Oprah Cult. At first, I did not take it seriously, but I think there is something to it.

Her show looks like the way I imagine the Roman games did -- entertaining, feeding, and giving stuff away. All to the coos and clapping of the faithful while she stands there taking it all in like Michael Flatley -- "Yes, yes. You know you love me. Thank you. Keep clapping."

But what really sent me over the edge is the way the white, suburban housewives and their daughters defend her. I almost got seriously injured when I suggested that she was a cult. How was I to know they were the Oprah SS?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This isn't the first I've heard about Oprah's fans being a cult. But no one has ever explained to me what is so cult-like about her... Could you explain that please?

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I have a bit going on today, so please gGive me a day to list it out some bullet points. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A brief story about Oprah Winfrey's complete megalomania: but first, a caveat -- I did not see this particular episode (I've only seen "Oprah" maybe twice in my life.)

Anyway, apparently she had donated a pair of shoes to some sort of charity celebrity auction. The woman who had successfully bid for the shoes was in the "Oprah" audience at some later date, and told Ms. Winfrey that she kept the shoes under her bed and actually prayed over them, while petitioning God for whatever blessings she needed. The woman truly believed that the presence of Oprah's shoes in her home was responsible for various good turns a fortune in her life. By anybody's standard, this is pretty extreme fan behavior, bordering on literal worship.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times TV critic who watched the show, instead of taking the opportunity to counsel the woman as to how one makes one's own luck, etc., Oprah instead accepted such praise as her due and seemingly validated the woman's bizarre faith. The TV columnist was shocked but not surprised; Oprah started her show in Chicago as a Jerry Springer-style freak show, gradually building it up into a new-agey touchy-feely schmooze fest whose principal mission was Oprah's self-aggrandizing self-promotion.

I think he's very creepy and very scary, but you're right, most people seem to unconditionally love her, and middle-class middle-age suburban white women seemed almost ready to kill on her behalf.

Baack

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
All Daytime TV is a cult. It's called the Cult of Peggy Bundy and the Generation she inspired.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
But I like Peggy.

All of the points I would offer supporting my assertion fall into a couple of categories. The first category of ideas is:

1. Oprah offers something really big. Depending on the person, big could mean
--A makeover
--A gateway to the stars
--A new car
--Personal salvation on the earth
--Food
--A bag of goodies from some sponsors

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
She could get every trophy, house wife to vote for her whenever she decides to run for president. That's power considering most don't even bother.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thats what ive been trying to tell my brainwashed mom who has to watcher her every day!!! thats why i leave the house whenever she watches it! oprah is like a religion for some ppl jeesh.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't know and I don't think her viewers quite know either, but maybe she should become President already and get it over with. Just think about the possibilities of a canidate that even Michael Moore would vote for. America's crime rate would drop before you knew it just like with The Beatles in the 60s.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Technically, Oprah is not a cult, but an argument could be made for her being a cult leader. The opposition you encounter when you bring this matter up is that only a few people, evidently, actually know what a cult is and appreciate that the term cult is neutral. Cults can be good or cults can be bad. We mostly hear about the bad ones. Christianity was formed from the cult following of Jesus of Nazareth.

[edit on 2006/8/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I am more of a Guiding Light cultist, myself.

However, I can say will full confidence that the Harpo team is aware of this thread by now and will be coming after those that do not recognize the Goddess known as Oprah!

And I'm not a suburban white woman! I'm a city dwelling, white boy!

posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Technically, Oprah is not a cult, but an argument could be made for her being a cult leader. The opposition you encounter when you bring this matter up is that only a few people, evidently, actually know what a cult is and appreciate that the term cult is neutral. Cults can be good or cults can be bad. We mostly hear about the bad ones. Christianity was formed from the cult following of Jesus of Nazareth.

[edit on 2006/8/22 by GradyPhilpott]

Sorry. Sound bite usage. However, the more modern, American definition of cult is entirely negative.

Hey, who are those women in the Yukon going back and forth in front of my house?

new topics

top topics

join